Author Topic: Craving foods that you usually donít like  (Read 1479 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Craving foods that you usually donít like
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2014, 12:21:21 PM »
Mine has to do with changing tastes over time. I used to hate vinegar and olives other than the green ones. I now love vinegar and Kalamata and Nicoise olives.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2014, 03:07:47 PM »
This is interesting to me. I've honestly never had a craving for a food that I hate. It makes me wonder what would cause something like that?

Ed.

I haven't ever either. I will sometimes get cravings for things I don't normally eat, but I don't dislike them.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2014, 03:14:23 PM »
I don't like sour cream and onion flavour Pringles, but every so often I get a terrible craving for them and eat a whole tube. I wonder if it is when I need salt?
NE England

knitwicca

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2014, 03:21:52 PM »
I don't often crave foods but about twice a year I must have ice cream. (which I never eat at any other time)
It must be Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia and loads of Hershey's chocolate syrup. No other brand or flavor will work.

I will buy a quart of ice cream and a bottle of chocolate syrup. Two scoops of ice cream per night for two or three days and I am done for months.

veronaz

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 04:21:26 PM »
I don't often crave foods but about twice a year I must have ice cream. (which I never eat at any other time)
It must be Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia and loads of Hershey's chocolate syrup. No other brand or flavor will work.

I will buy a quart of ice cream and a bottle of chocolate syrup. Two scoops of ice cream per night for two or three days and I am done for months.

Does Ben & Jerry's come in quarts?  I've only seen pints.

Margo

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2014, 04:16:39 AM »
I don't think the craving due to deficiency is an urban myth - I think it's like finding that rehydration mix tastes OK if you're actually dehydrated, and absolutely foul the rest of the time...

Although I think there may also be a psychological factor as well - craving something we associate with comfort even though the actual foodstuff is no longer to our taste.

I have an occasional yearning for Mr Kipling Fench Fancies - they are little iced cakes

They really are not very nice - the icing is sickly sweet, the cake part is over-sweet and a bit dry, and the 'cream' topping has a faint chemical after-taste.

But from time to time I really want them, and will buy a box.

I am pretty sure that this is purely a comfort thing - my Grandma used to buy them for my granddad, so I associate them with visiting my grandparents.

knitwicca

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2014, 07:54:24 AM »
veronaz, it probably is a pint rather than a quart.

I recently discovered there are also little cups. single-serving size for most people. For me it makes two servings and I don't feel guilty for tossing a half-container.