Author Topic: We're letting Baby decide for themselves!  (Read 3728 times)

MrTango

Re: We're letting Baby decide for themselves!
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 04:29:40 PM »
In the OP's case, I'd probably ask for clarification as well, given the contradiction.  The child's mother refers to the child with feminine pronouns while the child's father refers to the child with masculine pronouns.  I'd ask them which set of pronouns they want me to use.

perpetua

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 04:30:01 PM »
It seem that the parents are stating that they will let the child choose what *gender* (i.e. the social construct, what their brain is vs. what the body is) they will identify as when they are older, which is not necessarily the same as the child's biological $ex.

It can be confusing if you've never known anyone who's transgendered, since most people tend to assume that gender and $ex are always the same.

That's true, they're not the same thing, but you can't discount the possibility that they may be doing this in the first place because the child's biological sex *is* ambiguous - which is why I would respect it.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 04:36:19 PM »
At one point, they will have to put down a gender on paper and that will be it.  Baby will be a boy or girl for the rest of his/her life ( if no transgendering / s*x change in the future).

Like auntmeegs, I find this ridiculous, this is taking political correctness way, way too far.  And I would think eventually confusing for the child.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge. It's possible that the child was born intersex (neither boy nor girl, or perhaps both.) The rate of intersex births is broad, depending on the specific issue, but it's more frequent than you might think.

Assuming that the parents are nutters is very unkind.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

LadyL

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 04:37:39 PM »
Well, what would you do with an adult whose gender you were unsure of, or who didn't clearly identify with one gender or another? I personally just refer to them either by name, description, or using "they" - "How is Pat doing?" or "How is the baby doing?" or " How are they doing?"

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 04:39:12 PM »
Insofar as this pertains to etiquette, the matter has been sufficiently addressed.