Author Topic: Jamaica All-Inclusive Question  (Read 639 times)

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
Jamaica All-Inclusive Question
« on: June 04, 2014, 05:59:26 PM »
Perhaps this is a silly question, but the tour company says gratuities are included. Do we tip extra anyway? If yes, how much?

Thanks.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Jamaica All-Inclusive Question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 06:39:19 PM »
In my experience with all inclusive that have gratuities included, we'll tip if we are getting or wanting above average service.

Examples:
Bartender making cocktail my preferred way.
Housekeeping bringing extra towels every day after requesting them once.
Breakfast waitress who makes a fresh pot of coffee late in the morning for me and brings me a to go cup automatically.

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 10:38:27 PM »
You don't have to and many people don't. I did tip anyways (Dominican Republic, but I figure it'll be similar) and the staff remembered my group and treated us very well. Not a lot either, just a dollar or two here and there for bartenders, poolside service, waitstaff every couple of drinks or each meal.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 10:45:13 AM »
Although gratuities are included we always figure on giving extra to our room steward, the concierge and, if we've been regulars at a particular bar, the bar tenders. 

A little extra show of appreciation is never out of place. 

Library Dragon

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 06:51:43 PM »
We give a tip on the first day ($5) then don't really worry much until the end of the week.  We've found in the DR, Jamaica, and Cozumel it has Insured Prompt Service. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

NyaChan

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 08:59:26 PM »
That's a good point.  I don't think any of the staff is getting money beyond their base wages from your payment to the resort.  The gratuities included line is just to let you know that they aren't expecting a tip the way a waiter or bartender in the US would. 

Frog24

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 02:56:18 PM »
Agreed.  My husband and I went to an all-inclusive in Jamaica for his work.  We were told the company was including gratuities for the staff as we were a HUGE group of people, and a large coordination was required to get everyone checked in, sorted and organized.  Upon befriending a few of the waitstaff, we were told that no gratuities were given to the staff.  So we started tipping.  Considering it was a free vacation, spending the money on tips still made it quite in expensive.

Also, there were times when the chefs at the restaurant would extend their hands for a handshake, and it became obvious that they were doing so to discreetly accept tips.  After a while, I did feel bad for not having something to give them. 

So if you are normally a tipper, bring a large amount of small denomination bills for the lovely waitress who has to walk on the beach with shoes on (sand in the shoes, ouch!) and the bartenders who have bees buzzing around all the the sweet syrups at the bar.   

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 01:41:25 PM »
Thanks, everyone! Looking forward to our trip.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca