Author Topic: An update if you're interested  (Read 2433 times)

GlitterIsMyDrug

An update if you're interested
« on: June 04, 2014, 06:58:10 PM »
Hey I haven't been on in awhile. There was no real reason for my disappearance. Just started looking at other stuff. Been kind of...wedding brain crazy (basically I turned into the chick I never thought I'd be because oh my gosh weddings!!!), so I've been looking at wedding sites and such. But I figured I'd give ya'll a little bitty update on us. :)

Most exciting is that Partner got a new job! It's very exciting and new, and her old job was sad to see her go but encouraging in her career growth. So it's all been good. She really loves what she's doing now. And I understand....some of it. Kind of. Not really.

Also I am strongly considering a career change myself. It's been something I've been thinking about for awhile and I have a possibly opportunity to pursue it. I'm a little scared, it'll be a big change, but I think it'd be really good for me. Partner is very encouraging because she thinks I'd be really good at it.

And lastly, we are considering buying a house! We've been looking at homes, and we have the money to buy. We probably wouldn't sell our townhouse just yet, I'd like to rent it out (I own it outright), but I've lived her so long and it seems like a big scary change! But we've been looking to having a baby eventually and we'll need more room for that.

Oh! That wasn't the last thing! But this isn't really an update, in the whole "we want to have a baby" bit, we decided to go get some genetic testing done to make sure we're healthy if we decide to pursue having a baby that way. I found I'm a tay-sachs carrier! Which is not actually a good thing, but so long as our potential donor isn't a carrier there will be no issues. What is interesting is that this suggested a Jewish heritage that frankly everyone in the family has always thought possible. My great-grandfather and his brother moved to the states from Germany not long before WWII. Once they moved here the altered their last name and when my great-grandfather met my great-grandmother he told her he'd convert to Catholic for her, but never told her what he was converting from (she said she never got a straight answer and didn't want to press). But whenever we'd ask about Germany he'd never want to talk about it, there have just been a lot of clues over time that have made us wonder but never anything definitive. It's also possible I have it from my father's side, but my paternal grandma was pretty sure my paternal grandpa wasn't Jewish at all (she's Colombian, and her family immigrated here when she was a child from Columbia, so pretty sure it's not from her).

Partner called her mother to tell her she was in fact marrying a nice Jewish girl.

We've also been looking into adopting to get a kid. Lately it's been what we've both been leaning towards more, but we want to wait just a bit longer before babies.

Alright, did I keep that mini at all? Probably not. That's okay...we know how I am.

bloo

Re: An update if you're interested
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 07:21:13 PM »
Sounds like you're busy but doing well!

Thanks for the update I was thinking about you recently; I've missed your funny anecdotes.

Hope you're still able to jump in! :)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 08:36:20 PM »
Yay! congrats on..well everything.

And I would recommend that you do some google fu on Jews in Columbia.  There was an article that came out within a couple of years about how jews fled from spain and assimilated into Columbia.  Many of those Jewish traditions still continue to this day, but people didn't know where they came from.  It was very very interesting.  If I find it, I'll link to it. 

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 09:55:15 PM »
Glitter! Glad to see you posting again. And glad that things are going so well for you!  :)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Tea Drinker

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 10:22:15 PM »

And I would recommend that you do some google fu on Jews in Columbia.  There was an article that came out within a couple of years about how jews fled from spain and assimilated into Columbia.  Many of those Jewish traditions still continue to this day, but people didn't know where they came from.  It was very very interesting.  If I find it, I'll link to it.

There are Jews (and assimilated descendants of conversos) in Colombia and elsewhere in Latin America, but I don't think the Tay-Sachs gene comes from there, because the at-risk population is specifically Ashkenazi, who lived further east and/or north, not in Iberia.

That said, the more relevant point is that while the harmful recessive gene is found mostly in Ashkenazi Jews, as Glitter found, there are plenty of people who have Ashkenazi ancestors and don't know it for certain, which is part of why it's important to get tested.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 05:01:46 AM »

There are Jews (and assimilated descendants of conversos) in Colombia and elsewhere in Latin America, but I don't think the Tay-Sachs gene comes from there, because the at-risk population is specifically Ashkenazi, who lived further east and/or north, not in Iberia.

That said, the more relevant point is that while the harmful recessive gene is found mostly in Ashkenazi Jews, as Glitter found, there are plenty of people who have Ashkenazi ancestors and don't know it for certain, which is part of why it's important to get tested.

Thanks!  I didn't know that :)  I just saw Jews and Columbia and my brain went ding ding ding.  It was a very interesting article which is why I remembered it. 

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 05:55:23 AM »
You don't have to be Jewish to be a Tay-Sachs carrier . For example, it's found in the French-Canadian population.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 02:41:58 PM »
Thanks for the update! Sounds like some big changes, but hopefully good ones ultimately.
~Lynn2000

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 10:36:47 PM »
Wonder what your life will be like in five years? 

With all the (amazing) changes, you need to record the happenings.

e-hell is happy to be here as a journal, but with your writing style, a diary/journal to one day maybe be published as memoirs would be very encouraging and sassy fun.

congrats!!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 07:22:43 AM »
You don't have to be Jewish to be a Tay-Sachs carrier . For example, it's found in the French-Canadian population.

There were people who CHOSE to stop being publically labeled as Jews generations ago to avoid issues with neighbors who might not have been tolerant of other religions in a world that had NOT developed the concept of "politically correct".  Or even "religious tolerance". 

So - the French-Canadians or other small pockets of people with the gene MIGHT have a common ancestor from the Ashkenazi population of a century or two ago.  Or it might be a mutation that appeared independently...something for the doctors and scientists to research.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 09:44:32 AM »
Thanks for the update!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 10:04:27 AM »
Glad to see you and wow what interesting news!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 11:36:03 AM »

My wife and I had to be tested. She has French Canadian ancestors and I have Ashkenazi ancestors.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 06:31:51 PM »
There were people who CHOSE to stop being publically labeled as Jews generations ago to avoid issues with neighbors who might not have been tolerant of other religions in a world that had NOT developed the concept of "politically correct".  Or even "religious tolerance". 

So - the French-Canadians or other small pockets of people with the gene MIGHT have a common ancestor from the Ashkenazi population of a century or two ago.  Or it might be a mutation that appeared independently...something for the doctors and scientists to research.

And they have ; it is a different mutation in the French -Canadian population. Researchers aren't stupid; this would have been something they checked- and did check early on. No need to be hostile towards me.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 07:17:45 PM »
There was no hostility in that post.