Author Topic: The etiquette of selling at garage sales; neighbors  (Read 8195 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: The etiquett of selling at garage sales; neighbors
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 10:27:07 AM »
How badly do you want the money? What if you asked if they'd take a cut for allowing you to use their "storefront"? Like a consignment shop, only a consignment garage sale?

That's fair, I think!

Because I agree with you, piggybacking on someone else's garage sale isn't all that cool. Especially if you're doing it too late in the game, and you don't do anything to help with the creation of the "storefront."

(I will say that if it was me, I'd be going over there and saying, "Please can I give you some of my stuff to sell? And then if it doesn't sell, will you take it to the Goodwill along with your own extras? You can keep the money--I just want it out of  my house with as little effort (and guilt) as possible. Consider the money to be your payment for taking my stuff off my hands. Oh, and when you're packing up, let me know if you need someone to help you cart it all off. Here's a few bottles of cold water and a pack of cookies. Thanks!")
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 10:29:05 AM by TootsNYC »

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 11:05:08 AM »
Have you told your DH the story about your experience with bad neighbor? How many hours and money goes into a garage sale?  Maybe he will understand a bit more if all the details are broken down. Also, turn it around and ask how he would feel if he did all the work on a project and someone swoops in just to dump some supplies and collect the money.

lakey

Re: The etiquette of selling at garage sales; neighbors
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 12:02:14 PM »
I think you would be horning in and imposing on her. I wouldn't even bring it up to her.
Set your stuff up in your driveway, put up a sign, and sit there on the same day as her sale. And if you really want to get rid of the stuff, put low prices on it. Later in the day you can put up a sign that says "Make Offer". I would get rid of stuff by putting a lot of things in a box and putting a cheap price on it.

Amara

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 12:16:37 PM »
There's also a neighborhood/city garage sale in August.  I told him about that and said we can shoot for that. 

Excellent idea! Those are great for buyers so your chance of getting rid of stuff is much better. Another, perhaps >:D, idea is that it provides sufficient time for your DH to decide what is going to be sold and to price it himself (and clean it if it is dusty or dirty). 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 01:08:11 PM »
I would tell him that if he wanted to do it then he should have taken the initiative and made the arrangements. It's not right that he gets to have the ideas but you have to do the grunge work to make it happen.

This

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2014, 01:10:11 PM »
I'm OK w/ him having the idea and her doing the grunge work. Sometimes that's how things work out in a marriage.

I'm *not* OK w/ him being grumpy if she decides not to do the grunge work.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 02:22:47 PM »
  IF they did not explicitly offer "You should totally bring your X, Y and Zs to sell here" absolutely not , no way no how should you/dh just invite yourselves into their garage sale.  Unless you want to offer to give them the stuff to do whatever they wish with.

IF they had offered I think you could have replied with "how would that work" and if they could answer in reasonable detail how set up , placement , change , prices , negotiation , how they would ID your items , how long they expected you/dh to be there and what they expect you/Dh to do  then I think it would be ok to join them.  BUT its a day before now , so no the time for that conversation was when the offer was made not a week or 2 later and 24 hours before the sale starts.  Oh and if the answer was "oh we'll think of something as things come up" I would not join unless I was willing to just give them the stuff.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 02:31:09 PM »
I would tell him that if he wanted to do it then he should have taken the initiative and made the arrangements. It's not right that he gets to have the ideas but you have to do the grunge work to make it happen.

I do have to agree with Wolfie.  My husband is the absolute king of this.  He wants things done, but he wants me to do them, and I don't always do them the way he wants, so he complains.  And when I object to being assigned these items, he says, "It's easier for you to do it."

...easier for whom?   ::)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 03:33:50 PM »

I do have to agree with Wolfie.  My husband is the absolute king of this.  He wants things done, but he wants me to do them, and I don't always do them the way he wants, so he complains.  And when I object to being assigned these items, he says, "It's easier for you to do it."

My ex was the same way. I finally decided that if it was so important to be done then he has to take the initiative and I would follow instructions. Strange how not important they were when he had to do the follow up.

MrTango

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 07:53:54 PM »
If I were running a garage sale and a neighbor wanted to put her stuff in my sale, the only terms under which I would agree is that the entire income from the sale of their items would be my fee for letting her use my garage and labor.

miranova

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2014, 08:35:34 PM »
It's fine for your husband to have an idea. But you are allowed to have your own opinion, and your opinion is allowed to be different from his.  You thought it was a bad idea, and didn't want to do it.  You are an adult.  I don't get the part where he thinks you "should" have done it last week.  Should have according to who?  You said you didn't like the idea, so why would you do it?  Just because he has an idea doesn't mean it's your job to make it happen, especially when you don't even agree with it.

And for the record, I agree with you, I think it's a bit rude and presumptuous to descend on someone else's garage sale with your stuff.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2014, 08:49:45 PM »

My ex was the same way. I finally decided that if it was so important to be done then he has to take the initiative and I would follow instructions. Strange how not important they were when he had to do the follow up.

Holy moly. We're all married to the same guy. I finally (finally!) figured out when said "we should do xyz" he meant Jayhawk should do xyz. Now I just agree, that, yes, that is a great idea! Then I shut up and go on with my life.

hjaye

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2014, 11:15:45 PM »

We have community yard sales all the time in our area.  Our dev. does at least one a year if not two.

Many years ago, when my first wife and I were getting divorced I was getting ready to move into an apartment, since I no longer needed big house we had been  renting. Originally I was going to have a garage sale to get rid of a lot of stuff.  I had asked my soon to be ex if she was ok with it, and I told her I would give her half of whatever we made. She said yes, but then changed her mind. I had to get a storage unit and pay for it storing things that neither one of us really wanted.  So the day I was moving, I got up and opened the garage door with all the stuff I was taking to the storage unit sitting in the garage, only to find out there was a community garage sale happening right on the street I lived on.  The street was about a mile long and it looked like almost every house (except mine and it looked like a few others were participating. 
The problem was that people did not know I was not participating, with my garage open and me being the only one that was going to move me (I had  no help) I would load a bunch of things in the truck, only to go back to the garage and find people going through my things and asking how much I wanted for different items.  In retrospect I should have just sold whatever I could.  I was pretty sure my ex was not going to want anything that was at the house. 
It really was not a fun day.  After waking up at 8:00am to the community garage sale, and having to run people off, I didn't finish moving things until 3:00am.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2014, 12:46:21 AM »
Anything you sell at their garage sale is potentially chipping away at their profits. If I go in with $20 to spend and I find some of their things I would like to buy and some of yours, and opt for yours when I otherwise would have bought theirs, they are the losers.
I'm sure he just doesn't understand all that goes into a sale.  He should have the experience of organizing and having a garage sale of his own and doing all the work others have mentioned here.  He may love it, he may hate it, but at least he will be doing it on his own and not on the back of someone else's work.  I had one garage sale.  One.  Never again.  It was a lot of work and not that much gain.  Now we make trips to the thrift stores and donate to those good causes (and, of course come home with more than we took in sometimes!   ???).
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2014, 08:40:10 AM »
I posted this in the drive you up the wall thread, but I think we're married to the same person!

My husband got it in his head that we had too much of DD's stuff and we should have a garage sale at the citywide sale. I suggested just taking it to Goodwill--we only have the one kid, she's only 6, and she's only in size 6, so not a huge array of kid clothes, and I sold lots of our bigger stuff years ago on CL. Oh no, he wanted to have a garage sale. I said I was not helping. He said OK. He paid $10 to get on our town's map of houses.

He brought the clothes down from the storage space a couple weeks before. And there they sat, taking up room in my dining room.

The day before, he rented some tables. That was it.

The afternoon of, he got off work a little early and started sorting clothes. (When I asked when the sale officially started, he flippantly said it would start when he was good and ready. Obviously he has never met a hardcore garage saler...)

He didn't buy dots or signs or anything--just stuck them in piles and made random signs on printer paper. Eventually he got tired (and ran out of table space, because he had only rented two) and figured people could just root through the rest.

The biggest ticket item, a plastic climber, sold immediately, but I'm not counting that in his sales, as I could have sold it on CL just as fast.

He ended up putting about  8-9 hours in minimal set up and sitting outside in our driveway. He sold $9 worth of stuff. (He realized later that mothers of little girls don't want used dresses with spit up on them that are 6 years old/not the current style, and most clothing garage salers are mothers of boys. I could have told him that. Oh wait, I did  :P) Then someone on here pointed out that he had paid the $10 to get on the map.

So a weekend wasted and he made -$1. LOL.

Yeah. SO not worth it.