Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

Didn't remember the words until I was in the parking lot.

(1/3) > >>

saffron:
So.... I had one of those moments today where this phrase would have been *perfect* had I remembered to use it.

I was in line at the pharmacy at Target today picking up a prescription when an older lady got in line behind me. There were 2 people in front of me and it was taking a few extra minutes because of a new computer system.

Anyway - this lady gets in line behind me and says "if you knew what I was here for you would let me go ahead of you"

Ummmm.... no.

A few point- and I realize that this is totally irrelevant - but still:

-  I was picking up a new medication for some joint pain because the other medication wasn't working. I was not waiting for the prescription to be filled, it was already in a little bag with my name on it ready to go.
-  I had my toddler with me who refused to sit in the cart and was starting to get antsy
-  I pulled a back muscle yesterday and was in a fair bit of pain

Anyway - I ignored her at which point she started talking about her foot issue that was making her have to lean on her cart. She was quite obviously waiting for me to do the 'polite' thing and let her go ahead. Honestly though, all I could think was that if her foot hurt so much - why wasn't she using one of the motorized carts they have available?

When the clerk called the next person I went ahead and completed my transaction - but it kind of irked me that she would assume that her foot issue was more painful/important than anyone else's issue. I mean really, when your'e in line at the pharmacy *everyone* has an issue. That's why you're there.

All that to say - it wasn't until I was in the parking lot that I realized that I should have said "what an interesting assumption"

purple:
I think your silence (because I assume from your post that you said nothing) was a perfectly well-mannered and appropriate response also.

coolio:

--- Quote from: purple on June 05, 2014, 09:05:36 PM ---I think your silence (because I assume from your post that you said nothing) was a perfectly well-mannered and appropriate response also.

--- End quote ---

POD

It is almost a don't engage the crazy moment as well.

JenJay:
I'm with them ^.  :)

ladyknight1:
I work with one of these types of people. Nothing can ever be as bad or worse than what she has been through.

You did well and I hope you are feeling better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version