Author Topic: Prices only on one menu (never heard of this)  (Read 3218 times)

Amara

Re: Prices only on one menu (never heard of this)
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2014, 11:36:53 AM »
I had never heard of this when I visited New Zealand in about 1988-89. I was with a local guy I wanted to treat, and we went to a fine Auckland restaurant. When we were handed menus I was astonished to see no prices on mine. I asked the guy if he had them, and yes, he did. Since I was hosting we traded menus, then back again. I have occasionally wondered since then if the wait staff noticed us doing that and rolled their eyes. I've never seen it since.

jmarvellous

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2014, 11:45:47 AM »
That reminds me of a column I used to read.  The writer was a woman, and this particular column was about her visiting a restaurant with her husband and two young children.  Invariably, her son would order the most expensive thing on the menu, leading to this discussion:

Son:  I'll have Blah.
Husband:  No, you won't.
Son:  Why not?
Husband:  You know perfectly well why not.  Order something else.
Son:  But that's what I want to eat.
Husband:  Too bad.  *to the waitress*  He'll have the kids' hamburger meal.

(I should point out that the son was old enough to read the menu and know what the prices were.)  Still, I always felt sorry for the kid.  If the parents couldn't afford the most expensive item, they shouldn't have taken their kids to that kind of restaurant!

I don't feel for the kid at all, except in that I do think the parents should remind the kid before ordering what he is and is not allowed to order. If it's happened many times and the kid refuses to learn his parents' rules despite being of an age where he's capable, then it's the kid's fault that he got reprimanded.

Most times I go to a restaurant, particularly if I'm paying for more than  just myself, I have not budgeted to pay for, say, 4 $40 entree specials when I know there are multiple decent options in the $10-$20 range (though I would not tell my guests, "No, you cannot order that!" because it's rare enough that I treat people anyway).

It's perfectly fine, if you're the parent, to say, "You cannot order anything over $12," for example.

agentsmith

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2014, 11:57:23 AM »
That reminds me of a column I used to read.  The writer was a woman, and this particular column was about her visiting a restaurant with her husband and two young children.  Invariably, her son would order the most expensive thing on the menu, leading to this discussion:

(I should point out that the son was old enough to read the menu and know what the prices were.)  Still, I always felt sorry for the kid.  If the parents couldn't afford the most expensive item, they shouldn't have taken their kids to that kind of restaurant!

I'm going to disagree with this.  Most of the restaurants I've ever been to have a standard range of entree prices, and then one or two pricey outliers such a chef's local special or wild game or lobster with crab and caviar that are double or more the standard range.  Of course, if I took a guest there, they can order those, but I don't think an average family meal out needs to follow that rule.   There are plenty of options for LittleSmith or DH or I that won't result in a bill nearly double what it typically is. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2014, 12:02:56 PM »

In theory I agree with you. However in practice it can be a challenge. The parents should have set expectations for meal cost before entering the restaurant.

There was a time when our family was eating out 3 to 4 nights per week. One of our favorite places was a grill we went to weekly that had everything from burgers, pastas, salads, tacos, and grilled chicken dishes to much more high end entrees of steaks and grilled fish. So while the average entree cost was $8 to $14 they also had nightly entree specials that would be $25 to $33. So your premise is went shouldn't have gone to this family favorite if we weren't willing to pay up to $33 per entree for our 9 year old each time.  Sometimes we might say "DS, look they have their grilled lamb chops tonight, you love those" and be happy to pay the $20 more than his normal $9 fish tacos, it really wasn't in the budget to do it every night we dined out.  And this place wasn't a one off. Our favorite TexMex place also had most entrees in the $8 to $12 range. But they also offered a $25 paella that was really too much food for one of them but we were happy if they wanted to share it. But if they didn't want to share then we didn't want to spend that much on a dish that would be less than half eaten and really doesn't do well as left overs.

So either the kid in this story hasn't grasped the family expectations and needs it better explained or he's being deliberately being difficult. 

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2014, 12:06:22 PM »
I think the parents are fine to correct what their child is ordering. Not wanting the child to order the most expensive thing on the menu does not mean the parents have gone to a restaurant beyond their budget, in my opinion. If the kid is trying a power play by ordering the most expensive thing, he may not realize or care what the dish actually is, and it might be something that his parents know he won't like or eat all of. Then not only will they have spent the money, it will have gone to waste. Or sometimes, an expensive dish just plain has a lot of food, too much for a kid, or consists of something the parents don't want the child to eat (rich and unhealthy, for example).

Plus, the fact that the kid is deliberately ordering the thing he was told not to--it could have been the cheapest thing on the menu, if he's doing it in contradiction of his parents' wishes, it's fine for them to reprimand him.

I'm assuming that since the child here was old enough to read and understand the prices, he was deliberately being difficult, and not just misunderstanding something.
~Lynn2000

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2014, 12:28:47 PM »
I have to agree. Just because I take my family to a restaurant, doesn't meant I'm treating for "market price" or the gold leaf dessert. I think family can be more blunt about prices.

It also sounds like they had this conversation multiple times since the dad said "You know perfectly well why not" so I'm on the parent's side.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2014, 12:32:31 PM »
--the gold-encrusted caviar with diamond sauce (I made that up)...

But now I cannot rest until I have some.   >:D

Let me know how it tastes... and if it's crunchy.  ;D

Pretty sure it will be.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Allyson

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2014, 12:35:47 PM »
Yeah, it sounded to me like the kid in the story was ordering the most expensive thing not because he wanted it, but because it was the most expensive thing on the menu! Maybe his logic was "more expensive=will be better" or maybe he was testing boundaries or something...in any case I think it would've made sense for the parents to say "ok, you can get the hamburger, the chicken ravioli, or the mushroom lasagna" or something ahead of time.

In regards to priceless menus, I think the concept is nice. It's like "pick what you really want and don't think about pricing"...but it doesn't seem to work in practise when you have the host glaring at people, or guests trying to work out what's cheapest anyway!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2014, 12:37:36 PM »
I remember my grandmother and older aunts talking about this.  I've never seen it IRL.  My grandmother said it was usually due to the fact that most women of her generation didn't work so it was always a safe assumption that the man was paying.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2014, 12:49:51 PM »

It actually might not have been about ordering the most expensive thing on the menu and not being able to afford it. 

It might be that the kid actually never eats the full meal that he ordered.  That would be my youngest kid.  She hardly ever eats a full meal at the restaurant.  She wants an appetizer, (and I know by the time she is done with the appetizer, her meal will sit there), so I now get specific when she is ordering.  Will you eat your meal if you order an appetizer?  If not, get one or the other.  (Because sometimes, appetizers are like a meal).  Now, most times, I will say, she brings her meal home and will either eat it later or the next day, so the food does not go to waste.  But, I have been there and done that too many times to let her get away with ordering whatever she wants.

lilfox

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2014, 06:02:31 PM »
I don't think I've seen this myself, but my friend was surprised by it when she went to some extremely expensive restaurant that required reservations a month or more in advance.

I understand the reason for it, and it's not that different from seeing a menu for, say, a wedding reception or a catered business meal - those don't list prices, just options.  But then again, on a limited-options menu, you don't run the risk of ordering something insanely expensive by accident.

So just for the risk of ordering something surprisingly pricy and potentially annoying the host, I wouldn't like to be in the dark about meal prices.

On the side topic of kids ordering, I think the parents would be best off providing the acceptable options to the kid(s) and make it a multiple choice selection, not an open-ended question.  Acceptable could mean what they believe the kid will eat, what would be fine to share or take home if it doesn't get eaten up, and what they are willing to pay for.  That's what a kids' menu usually does anyway - provide a limited range of foods with the highest probability of acceptance by kids in smaller portions for lower prices. Not all restaurants have one, not all kids (or parents) like the options on them, but I think that's the intent.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2014, 06:11:45 PM »

It actually might not have been about ordering the most expensive thing on the menu and not being able to afford it. 

It might be that the kid actually never eats the full meal that he ordered.  That would be my youngest kid.  She hardly ever eats a full meal at the restaurant.  She wants an appetizer, (and I know by the time she is done with the appetizer, her meal will sit there), so I now get specific when she is ordering.  Will you eat your meal if you order an appetizer?  If not, get one or the other.  (Because sometimes, appetizers are like a meal).  Now, most times, I will say, she brings her meal home and will either eat it later or the next day, so the food does not go to waste.  But, I have been there and done that too many times to let her get away with ordering whatever she wants.

Since the order was replaced with a child's hamburger  (so a child of no more then 12?), I'd say its parental prerogative to say "no." 

AS far as the point why ask him if they were just going to tell him to get a hambuger that I agree with , unless they told him to pick from A-G and picked Z+diamond sauce.   

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
I had this once, freshman year in college, going out to an (admittedly fancy) dinner with a male friend.  It wasn't a date, really - I don't remember the circumstances, but I think we were just dressing up and going out for the heck of it because why not?  He picked the restaurant, and I remember saying something about how my menu didn't have any prices.  He showed me that his did and explained the whole "ladies menu" thing.  (He came from a family with a LOT of money - hence his choice of restaurant - so it was more of an informative explanation than making a point.)  I do remember saying something about "but what if I accidentally order the most expensive thing on the menu?" and him declaring he was going to order the most expensive thing himself, just so I wouldn't have to worry about it :P

We did end up kinda-sorta-dating for a while (and he usually paid for dinner) - now I wonder what he's up to these days  :)

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2014, 06:42:45 PM »
I experienced this once. We were at a going away party for my roommate, and they gave all the women a "ladies' menu." Well, all I can say is once the "ladies" figured it out we all demanded men's menus. I remember the waiter was put out, but we were appalled at the sexism. I'm surprised they still exist in restaurants.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Library Dragon

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2014, 06:53:37 PM »
DH and I were both given this type of menu at a private supper club.  We were being treated by a couple that belonged to the club. 

The dad in the OP was way out of line. Either, let your guests order what they want, give guidance, or ask for menus with prices. He treated his family disrespectfully with the looks ad head shakes.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter