Author Topic: so... read any good books lately?  (Read 1535 times)

Library Dragon

Re: so... read any good books lately?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 08:49:34 PM »
Medicus: A Novel of the Roman Empire by Ruth Downie. I'm on the 3rd book now.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Shea

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 09:50:58 PM »
Alan Brennert's historical fiction novels about Hawaii, Moloka'i and Honolulu are very good.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Peregrine

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 10:23:55 PM »
It's non-fiction, but I really enjoyed "The Girls of the Atomic City."  It was an interesting look back into the development of the Atomic Bomb at Oakridge Tennessee during WWII.  Their are little histories of several different women from diverse backgrounds and it tells about how they got involved in the project.  All in all a really interesting part of WWII that gets overlooked a lot.

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 12:46:10 AM »
Working my way through A Fire in the Deep by Vernor Vinge. Really fascinating sci fi. I read a lot of sci fi, but I've never read anything like it before, and I'm really loving it.

Also reading Who Own Culture? by Susan Scafidi, which is an analysis of cultural authorship and appropriation in relation to American law. It's been really enriching and I like taking what I've learned elsewhere about privilege & cultural appropriation from a social angle and dovetailing it with the possible legal aspects of it.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

cabbageweevil

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 06:39:58 AM »
A couple of mystery authors / series which I like, and would rate reasonably fast-paced, and not gory. British settings in both cases: the former author is British; not sure whether the latter is British or American.

Peter Lovesey -- writes mysteries set in present-day Britain. The majority -- not all -- feature a likeably cantankerous-but-humorous police detective, head of the murder squad in the historic and beautiful city of Bath; the "spirit of place" well evoked. And, Carola Dunn's "Daisy Dalrymple" mysteries (there must be fifteen or twenty of them) -- set in the mid-1920s, on the "cosy" side but not over-cloyingly so. Likeable central characters, and IMO the books catch the atmosphere of that period, very well. Some likeness, in milieu and more generally, to Dorothy L. Sayers's "Lord Peter Wimsey" mysteries; but without what I see as, and am irritated by, Sayers's pretentious, self-parading highbrow grandstanding.

doodlemor

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 11:40:50 AM »
Have you read any books by Susan Howatch? Cashelmara and Penmarric by Howatch are two of my favorites. 

Some Rosamunde Pilcher favorites are The Shell Seekers, Coming Home, and Winter Solstice.

You probably have already read Daphne Du Maurier, but if not I bet that you would like Rebecca.

I also loved Deceptions by Judith Michael, which has a more contemporary setting.  There is a sequel to this called A Tangled Web.

POF

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 11:45:56 AM »
Have you read any books by Susan Howatch? Cashelmara and Penmarric by Howatch are two of my favorites. 

Some Rosamunde Pilcher favorites are The Shell Seekers, Coming Home, and Winter Solstice.

You probably have already read Daphne Du Maurier, but if not I bet that you would like Rebecca.

I also loved Deceptions by Judith Michael, which has a more contemporary setting.  There is a sequel to this called A Tangled Web.

I second Susan Howatch - I particulary like her Church of England series.  Wheel of Fortune is another good one.  I also highly recommend Penmarric.  Think I'll dig that out and go sit in the sun and read.

Snooks

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 12:01:51 PM »

If you like Rebecca check out Rebecca's Tale which is a sequel of sorts. Can't remember the author off the top of my head.

merryns

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 09:14:32 PM »
Burial Rites by Hannah Kent

Set in early 19C, it is based on the true story of the last person executed in Iceland - a servant woman. While the legal details are being settled she is sent to live with a family on a remote farm, with a young priest assigned to tend to her soul. It's beautifully written and character driven, and the setting is fascinating.

poundcake

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 06:15:42 AM »
I just re-read LM Montgomery's The Blue Castle, which is a bit over-the-top in a couple ways, but is so delightful you just don't care. Easily my favorite by her.

Marga

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 07:27:57 AM »
I just re-read LM Montgomery's The Blue Castle, which is a bit over-the-top in a couple ways, but is so delightful you just don't care. Easily my favorite by her.

I love "Jane of Lantern Hill", and quite like "Anne of Green Gables", but "The Blue Castle" is also my favourite.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 11:36:16 AM »

I second Susan Howatch - I particulary like her Church of England series.  Wheel of Fortune is another good one.  I also highly recommend Penmarric.  Think I'll dig that out and go sit in the sun and read.

Thirding Howatch! I love the Starbrige books.

If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

z_squared82

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 11:40:25 AM »
Since you enjoy Amy Tan, look at Lisa See. I love “Shanghai Girls” and its sequel “Dreams of Joy”. Seriously love.

POF

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 12:15:32 PM »

Thirding Howatch! I love the Starbrige books.

I wish she would write another one....  I want ot know what happens / happened with some of my favorites. I think she is retired though.

Cicero - have you ever read the far pavilions or shadow of the moon - both set in India in the 1800's and really interesting reads.

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 04:49:48 AM »
Jane Johnson - historical fiction set in the middle/far east.

"No Great Mischief" by Alistair MacLeod.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 10:18:00 PM by AuntieA »
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.