Author Topic: so... read any good books lately?  (Read 1452 times)

poundcake

Re: so... read any good books lately?
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 06:43:29 AM »
Finished Rainbow Rowell's "Fangirl," which was completely delightful.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 11:43:28 AM »
Diane Keaton, Lets Just Say It Wasn't Pretty.
It's autobiographical.  It was a pretty good read.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 12:04:27 PM »
It's non-fiction, but I really enjoyed "The Girls of the Atomic City."  It was an interesting look back into the development of the Atomic Bomb at Oakridge Tennessee during WWII.  Their are little histories of several different women from diverse backgrounds and it tells about how they got involved in the project.  All in all a really interesting part of WWII that gets overlooked a lot.

I have this too! Its one of many I started, then had no time to read, and now have togo back and start over. But what I read was very intereseting!

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »
I love these treads!  I've worn through a couple of library cards (back when they were raised metal numbers that were involved in that sliding mechanism. 

I will read mystery and thrillers and gotten so many recommendations from EHell! 
Have you tried the Bubbles books by Strohmeyer?  (Non-gory, flibbertygibbity mystery)
How about Anne George? (Southern Sisters)
Maybe Joanne Fluke?  (Cookie shop in Minnesota)
Formerly Mrs.Bart

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2014, 02:24:48 PM »
Alexander McCall Smith has several mystery series. I especially like the Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency series.

magicdomino

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2014, 03:12:32 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Paw-Enforcement-Diane-Kelly/dp/1250048346/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402686081&sr=1-1&keywords=paw+enforcement+by+diane+kelly

Paw Enforcement arrived yesterday, and I was just going to glance through a few pages before putting it on the To-Be-Read shelf.  I finished it today.   :)   Police Officer Megan Luz has a bit of an anger management problem, although I have to say that Tazering her former partner is understandable.  Shame he didn't learn anything from it.  Anyhow, the police chief decides that instead of firing Megan, he'd assign her a real female dog for a partner.  A highly intelligent, very dominant, 95 pound German Shepard mix named Brigit.  The initial partnership is a little rough, and isn't quite resolved by the end of the book, but I think it will work out.  Oh, and there is a mad bomber, and a hunky bomb squad member with issues of his own.