General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Is this vaguebooking, or drama, or just ... normal?

(1/13) > >>

GrammarNerd:
I have an acquaintance that I know from kids activities.  She's a facebook 'friend', mainly for the purpose of sharing pictures (in the past) of the kids activities.  There can be some drama involved with this person (not only my observation; I have heard unsolicited comments from others about this) so that could be clouding my observation of the following.

She just posted the following on FB: "Please send your prayers to our family.  We are going through a very tough time and do not wish to discuss it."

Part of me says it's normal, but another part of me says it's just vaguebooking drama and attention-seeking, kind of like when little girls say things like "Jenny said something about you but I'm not going to tell you what it is."   

So, what do you think?

TootsNYC:
I'm on the fence.

I think the "do not wish to discuss it" makes it not vaguebooking.

Because vaguebooking is designed to get people to say, "oh, no, what's wrong!"

This is simply an appeal for support, not an invitation to "pry" or gossip.

It's attention-seeking, certainly; I think we all of us need the attention and support of the people in our lives.

But it's a bit off to me because Facebook is such a broad community--it isn't necessarily "the people in our lives," since so many people are, like you, acquaintances, and so the right to ask for attention and support is greatly diluted.

123sandy:
Kind of vague booking, pretty normal for FB and annoying either way. If you don't want to discuss it, why mention it in the first place?

LB:

--- Quote from: TootsNYC on June 07, 2014, 10:56:52 AM ---I'm on the fence.

I think the "do not wish to discuss it" makes it not vaguebooking.

Because vaguebooking is designed to get people to say, "oh, no, what's wrong!"

This is simply an appeal for support, not an invitation to "pry" or gossip.

It's attention-seeking, certainly; I think we all of us need the attention and support of the people in our lives.

But it's a bit off to me because Facebook is such a broad community--it isn't necessarily "the people in our lives," since so many people are, like you, acquaintances, and so the right to ask for attention and support is greatly diluted.

--- End quote ---

The bolded is something I've felt but couldn't put into words as well as you did here.

I agree it seems attention seeking. But I also know that I have a customized list of friends with whom I share certain posts. If I select that list, then only the people on that list can see the post. I'm not sure that would make something like that not vague booking. But I think it would be a bit less attention seeking that way.

Since this friend of yours is just an acquaintance, I guess she's not doing that.

Betelnut:
That is totally vaguebooking.  As someone else said, why mention it at all if...you aren't willing to actually name it.  I mean, even a "Son is having health issues" would be less vague.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version