Author Topic: Funny things you say after being sedated  (Read 3934 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Funny things you say after being sedated
« on: June 07, 2014, 12:16:30 PM »
DD#2 just had her 4 wisdom teeth pulled. She's still a bit loopy after being sedated.

On our way home she was babbling about how big her mouth felt. She said "It feels like I got Super Tongue. Just put a cape on it and watch it fly away!" Then she fell into a giggling fit while flapping her arms and saying "Come back, Super Tongue!"

The dentist told me to take her phone away, no texting or facebooking because her mind is a bit wacky and she probably won't remember anything she says.

DD#2 insisted that she needed to text her BFbob to let him know that she was okay. I said one text, then give the phone back to me. She spoke the words as she was typing:

"I have Super Tongue. Bring cape."

Then she handed the phone to me, and promptly fell asleep.

I can only imagine BFbob's expression while he tries to figure that one out! ;D

Anybody else have any good stories?

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: Funny things you say after being sedated
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 12:29:29 PM »
When I had my wisdom teeth out, I know I said some strange things but they wouldn't tell me what. I suspect I said goofy things about my DH (back then still Dear Boyfriend).

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 12:32:23 PM »
Just before I had surgery the nurse asked a whole list of questions of me.  Later I was half asleep and she kept asking me the same questions over and over.  I answered some but then got kind of bothered and told her in an whiny, irritable voice, "You've already asked me that!".  Then I heard my husband laughing.  I was just coming out of the anesthetic and the nurse was indeed asking the same questions, but not of me...of the lady in the next bed who was about to go into surgery.  I feel stupid, to this day...especially because it is one of my husband favorite memories... >:(   The darned guy could have stopped me from making a fool of myself but he was just enjoying  it too much, I guess.  >:D
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 12:37:12 PM »
I know someone who told the surgeon that his (the doctor's) wife looked 'just like Elizabeth Taylor" as she was giddily being taken into surgery. (His wife was beautiful, but didn't look like Elizabeth Taylor...she looked more like a cross between Ava Gardner, Audry Hepburn and Jean Simmons.  I guess that was too much to remember at the time.   ;D )
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:38:50 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 01:10:57 PM »
That is so funny.    ;D

I actually wake up and am very functional after regular anesthesia,  but not with "mild" sedatives.

I had to have a procedure done that didn't require me to be out,  but I'm kind of needle phobic.   That caused my normally very low blood pressure to skyrocket.  The doctor prescribed me a very mild anti-anxiety drug to take 30 minutes before arriving at the office (a seriously mild dose of .5 MG of Ativan,  I got my butt kicked by the lowest dose available).

I couldn't get out of the car.  When my DH got me unbuckled, I slithered out onto the ground, giggling the whole way. When I was done, they had to wheel me back to the car.  Once in the car, I fixated on cherry squishy. I wouldn't shut up about cherry squishy.  My DH finally figured out I was asking for a sonic cherry lime slurpy. I drank the whole freaking thing before we made it home... So I was completely doped up with a super sugar high. I was supposed to stay and bed and be still,  but I kept trying to get up.   

I drove my poor DH nuts for maybe a little over an hour. Then , I passed out cold and slept for almost 12 hours straight.

Now with regular anesthesia, I've will wake up in the middle if not carefully monitored. The last time I had surgery that required me to be completely out, I had to have quite the discussion with the anesthesiologist about me not staying under like I was supposed to. I remember being in the operating room... I got to 76 in the count down from 100.  I stayed awake for nearly 45 minutes after they had given me the "happy, don't give a crap about anything" drugs. Everyone I've talked to that had had surgery in that hospital tells me the same thing, they remember nothing after the happy drugs, most don't even remember making it into the preop area.

I was awake and cognitive in about 20 minutes after being moved to recovery. I scared the crap out of the nurses as they were expecting me to be out for at least 2 hours more as I had to be redosed near the end of my surgery. The anesthesiologist was really surprised I remembered him.  He came to check on me a few hours later... He was even more shocked that I related the conversation we had back in the preop area.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 01:31:40 PM »
I was in a room being prepared for an endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography procedure (where the doc sticks a tube down your throat to look at your liver).  I hadn't met the doctor, but my own doctor told me he was very good.  He came over to me after I'd been medicated, wearing the standard surgical scrubs, and introduced himself and asked me how I was doing.  I remember saying, "About as well as can be expected, considering that I'm laying on my face in a dark room surrounded by people in masks."  That's about the last thing I remember until they woke me up.  I hope he didn't think I was always that rude.

I also remember being prepared to have my gallbladder out, and I said to the anesthesiologist, "What's this noxious stuff you're pumping into me?"  He said, "It's not noxious," and that's the last thing I remember until waking up.

And, years earlier, I had had an operation to remove a tumor from my arm.  This happened on Christmas Eve, so I started waking up in a recovery room with Christmas carols playing in the background.  I remember asking the nurse, "Am I in Heaven?"  Then I heard my doctor's voice and said, "Oh, there's Doctor Name, so I must not be in Heaven."  He heard me and cracked up laughing.  (Excellent doctor and very nice guy.) 

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 01:53:14 PM »
I was maybe 13 or so, I had to have 8 teeth pulled (4 wisdom teeth and 4 baby teeth).  I remember nothing about that day, or the day after.  Absolutely nothing.  My mom tells me I was mostly sleepy, but pretty coherent. 

When my DH had to have his wisdom teeth pulled out, it was a riot!  I had to drive him home, and he kept telling me that it wasn't necessary, he was perfectly able to drive.  Then he'd say something like, "Wow, where are we?" as we drove along a route that we've both driven once a month for the last 5 years.  Finally, we got to our exit and he was like "What's going on, where are we?".  I told him and his eyes got really wide and he said, "Already?  I guess maybe it's good I didn't drive!".  Then he got mad at me for stopping at the pharmacy to pick up his prescriptions.  He wanted to go to Dairy Queen.  I promised him Dairy Queen when I was done at the pharmacy.  When I came out of the pharmacy and got in the car, he was still mad at me because I didn't go to Dairy Queen like I promised.  I was laughing so hard at the way he was acting I could barely drive!  We did go to Dairy Queen, and DH got his vanilla ice cream, which he promptly forgot about and fell asleep.  When he woke up after that, he was pretty much back to normal. 

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 02:16:53 PM »
LOL  ;D

When my DD was 2 she needed surgery on her eyes. They gave her a sedative while we waited for the surgical team to get ready. There was a row of several large windows facing out into a hallway and she was sitting on a bed, looking out the windows. Suddenly she started giggling, then laughing, then talking about "all the funny people out there!" I wish I could have seen whatever it was she was seeing, she had a great time.  :D

gmatoy

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 03:21:36 PM »

Now with regular anesthesia, I've will wake up in the middle if not carefully monitored. The last time I had surgery that required me to be completely out, I had to have quite the discussion with the anesthesiologist about me not staying under like I was supposed to. I remember being in the operating room... I got to 76 in the count down from 100.  I stayed awake for nearly 45 minutes after they had given me the "happy, don't give a crap about anything" drugs. Everyone I've talked to that had had surgery in that hospital tells me the same thing, they remember nothing after the happy drugs, most don't even remember making it into the preop area.

I was awake and cognitive in about 20 minutes after being moved to recovery. I scared the crap out of the nurses as they were expecting me to be out for at least 2 hours more as I had to be redosed near the end of my surgery. The anesthesiologist was really surprised I remembered him.  He came to check on me a few hours later... He was even more shocked that I related the conversation we had back in the preop area.

When I had surgery for the fourth time on my left foot, to remove the plate that the doctor had assured me wouldn't need to come out, I could hear the doctor talking about how much he loved history. Next appointment, I said something to him about how I also love history. He asked me how I knew he loved history. I told him that I heard him talking about it during surgery. He turned pale, and asked me if I had felt anything. I told him, no pain, but I felt tugging, etc.

I now have to let the doctors caring for me know about this incident, so I don't end up being one of the people who can feel it w/0 being able to move or tell them that it hurts.  :( :o

Kaymyth

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 04:57:56 PM »
I don't generally go loopy coming out of anesthesia, I'm just sleepy.  I do have vague memories of hearing the team's conversation when I was getting my wisdom teeth out, but thankfully I never felt anything.

I have a friend, though, who has a fairly unique reaction to the stuff (aside from being very resistant to it so that they need to increase her dosage to keep her down):  her speech keeps sliding into a British accent until she's completely awake.

imrowr

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 05:35:11 PM »
In 2005 my dad had to have triple by-pass heart surgery (not because he had a heart attack but because he WOULD have one if he didn't have the surgery).  My mom and I were in the room when the nurses were prepping him for surgery.  They had already given him the "happy" drugs prior to the anesthesia and so, while they were putting the IV lines in his arm, he looks at my mom and says, "Is this what it feels like to have acupuncture?"  A few minute later, the nurse is shaving his legs for some reason or another and Dad looked as me and said, "I feel like a Mexican hairless [dog]!"

My dad, of course, doesn't remember any of this but got a good laugh when we told him.  We still chuckle about it to this day. :)

AngelicGamer

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 05:58:38 PM »
Two years ago in June, I had to have a procedure to check that I didn't have cancer* due to excessive bleeding during the time of the month.  I remember being wheeled in and saying "Wow, looks nothing like House", which gave everyone a good chuckle and then being out until I came to in the recovery room.  There was a nurse sitting right by me because I kept on trying to get up to get out of bed without being fully aware of where the heck I was.  Fun times.  ;D

*No cancer!  Just PCOS and even that is questionable because I have some classic symptoms but not all of them...  ::)

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

nayberry

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 06:28:05 PM »
if i have to have gas & air,  in my head my voice sounds as low as barry white and i try to start singing....

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 09:34:53 PM »
In 2005 my dad had to have triple by-pass heart surgery (not because he had a heart attack but because he WOULD have one if he didn't have the surgery).  My mom and I were in the room when the nurses were prepping him for surgery.  They had already given him the "happy" drugs prior to the anesthesia and so, while they were putting the IV lines in his arm, he looks at my mom and says, "Is this what it feels like to have acupuncture?"  A few minute later, the nurse is shaving his legs for some reason or another and Dad looked as me and said, "I feel like a Mexican hairless [dog]!"

My dad, of course, doesn't remember any of this but got a good laugh when we told him.  We still chuckle about it to this day. :)
They harvest certain veins in the leg to serve as bypass arteries.  Also in the arm, sometimes.  DH has a scar running the entire length of his left forearm from that, for his quintuple bypass.  (He was mad at me, too, for not springing him from the hospital, so he could come home and smoke.  His left anterior descending artery was 95% blocked -- no WAY was I letting him come home!)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Micah

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 09:40:24 PM »
Not sedation, but when my OH came out of surgery for a broken leg the had to put him in restraints. He was swearing and trying to punch people (normally a very laid back guy). He didn't remember any of it when he came round properly.

The strange thing is, his son is exactly the same. They had to knock him out again when he was coming round from surgery on his ears. It was taking four of us to try and restrain him. He was six. He came round fine the second time.

It would be interesting to know if that sort of thing is hereditary.
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."