Author Topic: Funny things you say after being sedated  (Read 4361 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Funny things you say after being sedated
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 11:13:04 PM »
Not something I said, but when I had surgery earlier this year I purposely brought Allie Brosch's Hyperbole and a Half book - specifically so I could read it "for the first time" twice  ;D  And it worked - I remember being amused by it, but the anesthesia messed up my memory of the actual humor, so it was just as funny a week later  :P

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 11:38:21 PM »
I woke up in surgery. I think I said I'm awake. Didn't feel anything but they told me to go back to sleep.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 11:55:41 PM »
When I was being put under for my wisdom tooth removal (yes, I was one of those lucky ducks who only got one), I could not shut up about Josh Groban and his pretty, pretty voice.  :-[

When I woke up and was waiting to leave, another girl was crying as a reaction to the anesthesia, and I tried three times to go over and comfort her, and my mom had to hold me down, because I wasn't even walking well at that point.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

mulchlady

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 11:56:55 PM »
I woke up and kept singing, red solo cup I fills you up lets have a party. OVER and OVER again

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 12:37:20 AM »
oh my goodness, the things I've said while sedated.

After knee surgery, I (when I was 18) told my surgeon (who was in his 40s) that he did such a good job that I was going to steal him away from his wife and live with him in Hawai'i.

Also after that same surgery (after I passed back out, & then became animate again (wouldn't say I "woke up" though), I was on my side & realized that someone was applying a nerve block to my leg. I *really* shouldn't have been awake at that time, but I was, and I peeped over my shoulder and yelled "BOO" at her. Scared the crap out of her, because I *really* shouldn't have been able to do that.

While taking muscle relaxers for a back problem I have, my Beloved was getting me up off of the couch to tuck me in to bed for the night. I told him that I had to go back to sleep IMMEDIATELY, because we were on a quest to find my best friend's dad, but the hippopotamus that we were riding was made of burlap, and I'd spilled all the rosemary oil on him, and he was *very* angry, because it soaked in & stained the burlap, and I had to get back there to wash him and make sure he felt loved, so he'd help us on our quest.

And after having my tonsils out, I woke up and immediately told the nurse that I *had* to talk to the anesthesiologist about her butt. That one was actually legit. When they were setting me up in surgery & they found out I worked in fashion, she asked me some questions about where to find jeans that fit certain body types. But she knocked me about before I could fully answer. Luckily, the nurse actually went & found the anesthesiologist, and we finished our conversation as best as we could, with my tonsils freshly removed.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 05:13:56 AM »
Not something I said, but when I had surgery earlier this year I purposely brought Allie Brosch's Hyperbole and a Half book - specifically so I could read it "for the first time" twice  ;D  And it worked - I remember being amused by it, but the anesthesia messed up my memory of the actual humor, so it was just as funny a week later  :P

It would have been most appropriate if you had read the story of Allie having her teeth pulled and waking up after surgery determined to go to a birthday party.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

imrowr

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 08:16:58 AM »
In 2005 my dad had to have triple by-pass heart surgery (not because he had a heart attack but because he WOULD have one if he didn't have the surgery).  My mom and I were in the room when the nurses were prepping him for surgery.  They had already given him the "happy" drugs prior to the anesthesia and so, while they were putting the IV lines in his arm, he looks at my mom and says, "Is this what it feels like to have acupuncture?"  A few minute later, the nurse is shaving his legs for some reason or another and Dad looked as me and said, "I feel like a Mexican hairless [dog]!"

My dad, of course, doesn't remember any of this but got a good laugh when we told him.  We still chuckle about it to this day. :)
They harvest certain veins in the leg to serve as bypass arteries.  Also in the arm, sometimes.  DH has a scar running the entire length of his left forearm from that, for his quintuple bypass.  (He was mad at me, too, for not springing him from the hospital, so he could come home and smoke.  His left anterior descending artery was 95% blocked -- no WAY was I letting him come home!)

Thank you for reminding me.  I knew there was a good reason but I wanted to put "for an IV line" and knew that wasn't right either.  All three of my dad's arteries were over 90% blocked.  I remember him telling me the doctor marveled at how he hadn't had a heart attack yet!  Fortunately the decision for surgery was one my dad came to on his own so he wasn't mad at me.  I do remember him asking us repeatedly after he came out of surgery to remove the tube helping him breath.  I had to tell him like 6 times that we couldn't remove it yet but it'll be removed soon.  He doesn't remember that either.

Edited: To replace the shouty capitals with italics.  I keep forgetting about that rule and then remembering it later... :-/
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 05:48:23 AM by imrowr »

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 01:16:55 PM »
This is a video of a friend of mine's daughter after she had her wisdom teeth taken out.  She's a dancer, which should be obvious from her actions.  :)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pi7LZh2LKY  It's pretty hilarious.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 05:21:46 PM »
I make suggestive innuendos to DH after sedation. Loudly.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 05:31:57 PM »
Not me, but my roommate after an appendectomy:  "Did you take out my ovaries and look at them?  Because my vagina hurts."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 05:38:40 PM »
Not after, but as they were putting me out for my umpteenth endoscopy.mi hear the ansasthesiologist say "her eyes are still wide open" I just remember thinking "well give me MORE then!"

And after my last colonoscopy I kind of vaguely remember shouting at the nurse for something as I was waking up. Oops. I was kind of embarrassed at that one

Library Dragon

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2014, 05:45:31 PM »
At various Army hospitals DH would have VIPs concerned that they would give away secret information. DH assured them that no one in the OR takes anything anyone says seriously under anesthesia.  His own experience for his gallbladder removal was that he declared that he was going to the Army War College because he had the nuclear strike codes. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 09:45:33 PM »
When I was being put under for my wisdom tooth removal (yes, I was one of those lucky ducks who only got one), I could not shut up about Josh Groban and his pretty, pretty voice.  :-[

When I woke up and was waiting to leave, another girl was crying as a reaction to the anesthesia, and I tried three times to go over and comfort her, and my mom had to hold me down, because I wasn't even walking well at that point.

Was that girl me?  I had that reaction during mine. I was bawling. There was no pain but it was horrible horrible horrible.  I would have appreciated you coming over. :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2014, 10:46:31 PM »
I did wake up during my leg surgery when I was 12. I yelled at the OR staff and kicked a nurse. I have to tell every anesthesiologist about it, so they use enough meds.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 01:28:18 AM »

Was that girl me?  I had that reaction during mine. I was bawling. There was no pain but it was horrible horrible horrible.  I would have appreciated you coming over. :)

Well, you might have started laughing, since I was walking almost like a splayed duck, and I'm pretty sure that's a slight on splayed ducks. :P Plus, the nurses didn't want me getting up, because I might fall and crack my head.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter