Author Topic: Funny things you say after being sedated  (Read 4365 times)

darling

Re: Funny things you say after being sedated
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 09:35:11 AM »
When I was being put under for my wisdom tooth removal (yes, I was one of those lucky ducks who only got one), I could not shut up about Josh Groban and his pretty, pretty voice.  :-[

When I woke up and was waiting to leave, another girl was crying as a reaction to the anesthesia, and I tried three times to go over and comfort her, and my mom had to hold me down, because I wasn't even walking well at that point.

Was that girl me?  I had that reaction during mine. I was bawling. There was no pain but it was horrible horrible horrible.  I would have appreciated you coming over. :)

When I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed, I remember screaming when coming out of it, and my mom said she could hear me in the waiting room. Embarrassing.

My dad, on the other hand, was hilarious when waking up after surgery to remove some tumors from his bladder. After he told my mom to kick out the "nurses" so they could get busy, us girls left the room just dying. Considering how they enter the bladder to remove those tumors, there was no "busy" going to happen for awhile. We still haven't told him about that, LOL (he would just die!).

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 10:05:22 AM »
A friend of mine wrote her Christmas cards one year, while she was doped up after having her wisdom teeth removed.  Funniest card I've ever gotten that wasn't intended to be funny.  I wish I'd saved it.

I, on the other hand, don't really have any stories to tell.  I don't have normal drug reactions.  Ativan does nothing for me - my dental surgeon prescribed one for me before my dental implant when I opted not to be put out.  Tylenol 3's?  Codeine does nothing for me and the acetominophen makes me feel like a drank a pot of coffee so there's no sleeping it off for me.  I had some sedation, though, where I don't remember a thing.  I'm sure I talked the doctor's ear off, though, and he was a neighbour of my parents so I hope I didn't say anything I shouldn't have.  Not that he'd say anything to my parents.

General anaesthetic is not my friend.  It generally kicks in so quickly I don't have to count and I come out of it puking my guts out.  Which is fantastic when the surgery is either oral or abdominal.  :P

Between my latex and adhesive tape allergies and my abnormal drug reactions, I really hope I never need major surgery again.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Baby Snakes

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 10:20:08 AM »
When my dad was being prepped for quadruple bypass surgery, they gave him an injection of morphine.  I've never seen my dad high before and he was burbling nonsense the whole time.  He then began weeping (very unusal for my dad) because he didn't want to become addicted to morphine.  The nurse assure him that one shot of morphine was not going to make him an addict.  After the surgery he didn't remember any of it.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 10:23:58 AM »
Not sedation, but when my OH came out of surgery for a broken leg the had to put him in restraints. He was swearing and trying to punch people (normally a very laid back guy). He didn't remember any of it when he came round properly.

The strange thing is, his son is exactly the same. They had to knock him out again when he was coming round from surgery on his ears. It was taking four of us to try and restrain him. He was six. He came round fine the second time.

It would be interesting to know if that sort of thing is hereditary.
It seems to run in my family. I become combative on many types of sedatives. Basically I'm not allowed to take sedatives unless for the first 24 hours I am either in the hospital or have a family member stay with me or I stay with them.

My generation hasn't had much surgery beyond having our wisdom teeth out. (For all her broken bones sis has never had surgery for them - except maybe her knees). Sis and I had it done under general (me for medical reason, sis because she refused to do it in the office). Both of us had to be restrained because we kept trying to leave the prep area. With me the staff got mad - and got my parents to make me behave. Dad explained I was sleepwalking. With sis they warned them ahead of time it might happen. Cousins had the procedure in the office all went through a point where they had to be restrained and were convinced the staff was trying to kill them. THeir mother going in and ordering them to sit still did the trick.

We all sleepwalk, sleep talk, and have history of night terrors. Many of us have mild ADD or ADHD along with learning disorders. Several of us are either ambidextrous or have cross over problems. So basically the conclusion is our brains are massively miswired and some sedatives act like upper for us because of the miswiring. The opposite is also true. Give me a nondrowsy version of OTC allergy or cough meds - and I'll sleep like the dead for 12 - 24 hours. You can wake me up and tell me to do something. I'll follow directions zombie like. Give me something with warnings about how it will up your blood pressure - mine will drop to the cellar.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

imrowr

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2014, 11:08:41 AM »
A friend of mine wrote her Christmas cards one year, while she was doped up after having her wisdom teeth removed.  Funniest card I've ever gotten that wasn't intended to be funny.  I wish I'd saved it.

I, on the other hand, don't really have any stories to tell.  I don't have normal drug reactions.  Ativan does nothing for me - my dental surgeon prescribed one for me before my dental implant when I opted not to be put out.  Tylenol 3's?  Codeine does nothing for me and the acetominophen makes me feel like a drank a pot of coffee so there's no sleeping it off for me.  I had some sedation, though, where I don't remember a thing.  I'm sure I talked the doctor's ear off, though, and he was a neighbour of my parents so I hope I didn't say anything I shouldn't have.  Not that he'd say anything to my parents.

General anaesthetic is not my friend.  It generally kicks in so quickly I don't have to count and I come out of it puking my guts out.  Which is fantastic when the surgery is either oral or abdominal.  :P

Between my latex and adhesive tape allergies and my abnormal drug reactions, I really hope I never need major surgery again.

Regarding the bolded bit:  Neither do I.  :-\  But I am the exact opposite in that most drugs affect me way more than normal.  I can't take any of the daytime cold medicines (Dayquil, for example) because it causes my blood pressure to bottom out and I end up fainting.  I've had the same reaction on Dayquil and on daytime Robitussin.  I am extremely cautious of any of the allergy medications, especially Bendadryl, as it causes my heart to race and my limbs to become restless.  Once my heart raced so fast that my chest started hurting!  The ONE time I took tylenol 3 (for a broken wrist), I passed out in the kitchen.  Zyrtec and Claritin will put me to sleep for hours and the whole next day my head will feel fizzy.

I find it really hard to find medicines that won't give me weird negative side effects especially if I HAVE to take it.  There's one medicine that I tried for over 8 years and 8 or more different brands / types to no avail.  :-/

ETA: Interestingly, after I had my wisdom teeth pulled (I was sedated and I didn't say or do anything funny or shocking), the doctor prescribed vicodin.  It was, honestly, the only pain medication I've ever taken that didn't knock me out for days.  I remember watching TV while taking vicodin!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 11:10:40 AM by imrowr »

z_squared82

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2014, 11:34:56 AM »
I had jaw surgery when I was 16. They gave me the happy drugs and a few minutes later I gladly informed everyone that the room was swimming. I distinctly remember the clock being wavy (think like an old TV with bad reception). Evidently it was a hoot. I was not at all entertaining after my wisdom teeth or endoscopy.

twilight

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2014, 12:20:12 PM »
My mother, who is as sharp as they come, developed anesthesia delirium after a very lengthy surgery.  It is a very serious condition and lasted over a week during which time I kept praying we would all be able to look back at her wacky behavior and laugh someday, which I am glad to say we did once she came back to us.

During the delirium she :

1) Was convinced that the hospital was running a Medicaid scam and that there were other patients sleeping beneath her bed and in the bathroom.  Furthermore the hospital was in cahoots with the Chinese government in this scam and it was her intent to expose it.  Her proof - the Chinese writing on the bottom of her pudding cup package which was a secret code about the scam.  If she were talking about the scam and a nurse came in she would quickly shush everyone up and change the subject so that they would not know that she was on to them.
2) She kept thinking she was in a health food restaurant that was serving crappy salt free food.  At night she would call me so I could come pick her up from the restaurant.
3) Kept asking me with a very sneaky look, "What would happen if I just walked out of here?"  Luckily the hospital layout was quite confusing I don't think she could have found the elevator in her state.
4) Would forget when we visited (which was at least one time daily for several hours at a time).  Had some vile things to say (very out of character for her)  to her husband who she was convinced was not visiting her. 

cattlekid

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2014, 12:58:15 PM »
I wrote one of my best English papers in high school when I was on Tylenol 3 after my wisdom teeth had been removed.  I used it in my college applications and got a full 4-year scholarship to college.

Better living through chemistry..... ;D

ddawn23

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 01:36:05 PM »
They let me in the room as my mom was coming round from sedation.  Once every fifteen or so seconds she'd notice me sitting there and say "Oh! Dawn!  How long have you been there?"  Then she went in the changing room to get dressed and was in there a really long time.  She finally came out holding her purse... with her bra half out and dragging on the ground.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 02:20:03 PM »
My mother tells me that when she was expecting me they used to give expectant mothers a sedative called twilight sleep.  I was the first baby at the hospital to receive the new birth certificates so they wanted a picture for the newspaper.  Mom insisted she had not had her baby.  The nurse asked "Well, honey, where's your tummy then?".  Mom patted her tummy and said "Well, it's not here, but I know I didn't have that baby yet!".

After my first shoulder surgery I was well enough to walk to the car and DH took me for lunch.  About halfway through I asked him "Am I sliding down the seat?".  That's when he decided to take me home.

missanpan

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2014, 02:32:14 PM »
I wrote one of my best English papers in high school when I was on Tylenol 3 after my wisdom teeth had been removed.  I used it in my college applications and got a full 4-year scholarship to college.

Didn't this happen to Samuel Taylor Cooleridge when he wrote "Kubla Khan?"  After he took an opiate, not Tylenol 3, of course.

When you have to take it again, try writing a poem!

daen

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2014, 03:09:07 PM »

Didn't this happen to Samuel Taylor Cooleridge when he wrote "Kubla Khan?"  After he took an opiate, not Tylenol 3, of course.

When you have to take it again, try writing a poem!

Just make sure no one interrupts you while you're writing, or you might never write the second part...

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2014, 03:39:53 PM »
Like a PP, I don't react strongly to medication.  I tend to need higher doses in general.  Stuff that knocks other people out might make me a little sleepy at most, etc.  I can easily wake up again after falling asleep after taking a sleeping pill, and be completely lucid and functional, etc.  They need to give me a lot of Novocaine at the dentist, and they had to put me on the max dose of Pitocin to get my labor going, etc.  After I woke up from the one surgery I had, I was just tired, nothing more.

My husband is one who reacts violently and fearfully after being sedated, though.  After one surgery, he was really upset, yelling and wanting to get out of bed and having to be pushed back into it, etc.  He started singing to calm himself, which weirded out the medical personnel (although it worked).  I was there waiting for him, and I don't know they didn't let me go back, as seeing me might have calmed him.  I'm assuming they were worried that he might *not* recognize me and still be violent, and there'd be a lawsuit or something, I don't know.

Arila

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2014, 04:01:11 PM »
"They fixed me up with invisible tape --- but don't tell anyone, it's an experimental governmental trial...I think it was developed by the aliens. It's a secret. We aren't supposed to know."
 -- Said by an X-Files fan.

Or this hilarious conversation:
Patient: Oh, I forgot where I parked the car.
Me: Don't worry, I took your car home and came back in my car.
Patient: How far away is the car?
Me: It's just downstairs in the parking lot...but you're stuck here for a little bit longer.
Patient: OK. I need you to go to the car.
Me OK?
Patient: Get in.
Me: OK?
Patient: Start driving.
Me: OK??
Patient: Until you see a circle K.
Me: OK??
Patient: Buy me a whole case of water.

He was thirsty!

When I woke up from having my wisdom teeth out, I asked my mom to tell me the story of the Hobbit. I'm not sure if I fell asleep again, but it seems like she got about 2 lines in before they were kicking us out!

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2014, 02:40:06 AM »
When I had a colonoscopy, I also had a procedure where a tube was put down my throat so I was sedated.  I remember telling the nurse that I hadn't slept well the night before and wouldn't be surprised if I fell asleep while I was waiting.  Next thing I know, he's waking me up.  I asked him, "When am I going to have my procedure?"  He told me, "You've already had it.  You're finished."  I wish all my procedures could be like that.