Author Topic: Funny things you say after being sedated  (Read 3942 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Funny things you say after being sedated
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2014, 02:44:16 PM »
I have a very good friend who had a stroke and heart attack that he was fortunate to survive. They used the deep chill therapy to arrest the damage, and ever since, caffeine puts him to sleep and anything that is supposed to make you sleepy makes him hyper.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2014, 02:59:18 PM »
When I was in recovery for my first c-section, I was feeling no pain. (Thank you, morphine!)  So much so that I told DH that I didn't know what all the fuss was about, this was no big deal at all!  I hardly felt a thing! Life was AWESOME!!!

He was kind of laughing at me and I was getting annoyed.

Then the morphine started to wear off and I began to understand just what all the fuss was about.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2014, 03:29:09 PM »
When I was pregnant with DS, I continued to have migraines and the only allowable medication was morphine. We lived on the second floor. Poor DH would take me to the ER, then back home and would have to carry me upstairs and into my bed.  :-[

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2014, 04:36:10 PM »
When I was pregnant with DS, I continued to have migraines and the only allowable medication was morphine. We lived on the second floor. Poor DH would take me to the ER, then back home and would have to carry me upstairs and into my bed.  :-[
Was there a standing order from your doctor or something?  Because the second time in two-and-a-half years that I went to an on-base medical clinic asking for a shot of Demerol for a migraine that was already in its second day, they treated me like I was a drug addict.  >:(   
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2014, 04:47:35 PM »
No, but they got used to the 6' tall pregnant lady who had migraines.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2014, 05:01:12 PM »
A cousin of mine was practically accused of drug-seeking behavior when she went to the doctor who was covering for her regular doctor to renew her insulin.  She told me the covering doctor gave her such a hard time about writing her a prescription for insulin that she had to go over his head before someone would give her a prescription to refill her insulin.  I could see it if she was trying to get a narcotic, but insulin?  Fortunately it was a military clinic, so there was someone in charge. 

She told me her regular doctor handed the covering doctor his head when she returned.  Cousin said the doctor told her much the same thing - she could see if my cousin had been demanding a narcotic, but insulin?  That's necessary for life. 

JustEstelle

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2014, 12:01:44 AM »
I embarrassed my sister, cousin, and DH when I was coming out of anesthesia after major surgery.  To make conversation and lighten the mood, they told me that my DH's horoscope for that day said something about having a wild night of romance.  I look at him and, in my drug-induced stupor, held up my right hand and said, "Well, I guess that means you have a date with this then."  My sister and cousin were standing where I could see their faces, and I could tell from their expressions that I'd shocked them.  I said, "I said that out loud, didn't I?"  Yeah, you did.

About a year later, I had to have surgery for carpal tunnel.  They didn't knock me completely out but gave me "happy drugs" to relax me.  And, boy, was I relaxed!  For some reason, when the nurse was taking me down the hall from OR to recovery, I decided that it would be cool if I sang.  Off-key.  Loudly.  Edith Bunker's part in the "All in the Family" theme song.  At the time, I thought the nurse was singing a duet with me, but I honestly doubt it.  I was caterwauling for all I'm worth all the way down that hall.  Recovery was a large room, partitioned off with curtains into individual cubicles, most of which were occupied.  And I was still caterwauling when they wheeled me in.  The nurse got me situated and then went to get DH.  I told him that he's missed my performance.  He wasn't sorry.  I have often wondered what the other patients and families thought when they heard me. 

ctmichelle

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2014, 12:34:23 AM »
The thankfully only time I had to have a small procedure, I came out of the anesthetic singing, badly, the answers to the questions  they asked, and continued to sing my part of any conversation for several minutes. I can't sing well under normal circumstances.
My son had to have his wisdom teeth removed, under general anesthesia, in the office. He was pretty good, until a nurse walked him out to me, and he tried dancing with her.

imrowr

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2014, 06:47:05 AM »
I embarrassed my sister, cousin, and DH when I was coming out of anesthesia after major surgery.  To make conversation and lighten the mood, they told me that my DH's horoscope for that day said something about having a wild night of romance.  I look at him and, in my drug-induced stupor, held up my right hand and said, "Well, I guess that means you have a date with this then."  My sister and cousin were standing where I could see their faces, and I could tell from their expressions that I'd shocked them.  I said, "I said that out loud, didn't I?"  Yeah, you did.

About a year later, I had to have surgery for carpal tunnel.  They didn't knock me completely out but gave me "happy drugs" to relax me.  And, boy, was I relaxed!  For some reason, when the nurse was taking me down the hall from OR to recovery, I decided that it would be cool if I sang.  Off-key.  Loudly.  Edith Bunker's part in the "All in the Family" theme song.  At the time, I thought the nurse was singing a duet with me, but I honestly doubt it.  I was caterwauling for all I'm worth all the way down that hall.  Recovery was a large room, partitioned off with curtains into individual cubicles, most of which were occupied.  And I was still caterwauling when they wheeled me in.  The nurse got me situated and then went to get DH.  I told him that he's missed my performance.  He wasn't sorry.  I have often wondered what the other patients and families thought when they heard me.

Oh, JustEstelle, thank you so very much for making me literally laugh out loud.  It certainly brightened up my morning. :)

mmswm

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2014, 03:40:43 PM »
My oldest son was in a morphine haze the night after his last surgery.  He was still an inpatient, so they had him on the really good stuff.  Around 2AM, he woke up, sat straight up in bed and shouted "We forgot to give the turtle a bath!". He was quite visibly upset about this.

We do not, and have never had, a pet turtle.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Jocelyn

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2014, 01:44:05 AM »
A cousin of mine was practically accused of drug-seeking behavior when she went to the doctor who was covering for her regular doctor to renew her insulin.  She told me the covering doctor gave her such a hard time about writing her a prescription for insulin that she had to go over his head before someone would give her a prescription to refill her insulin.  I could see it if she was trying to get a narcotic, but insulin?  Fortunately it was a military clinic, so there was someone in charge. 

She told me her regular doctor handed the covering doctor his head when she returned.  Cousin said the doctor told her much the same thing - she could see if my cousin had been demanding a narcotic, but insulin?  That's necessary for life.
I went into the student health clinic (I was a grad student) because I'd injured my hand (don't remember how, now) and, after several days of watching it, I was pretty sure that it was infected. I explained to the nurse practitioner that I was a diabetic, and I wanted antibiotics before it got any worse. She was not convinced that it was infected, and was trying to discourage me, when the chief of staff came down the hallway, saw me in the exam room, and called out, 'Hi, Jocelyn!' I called back, 'Hi, Randy!', and the nurse got the oddest look on her face  ::). She left the room, and when she came back in, she had a script for antibiotics. I do hope it was because he informed her that I had had enough medical training that she could rely on my assessment...and not because I was an old friend who'd started calling him Randy long before he had his MD. But it worked, either way.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2014, 11:31:50 PM »
This wasn't me, but it's still a good one.  When my brother had his wisdom teeth removed, he had it done in the hospital under general anesthesia.  When my parents brought him home, he was walking okay and wasn't really in pain (yet!), and his cheeks were a bit puffy from the swelling and the gauze.  I asked him, "How'd it go?  You feeling okay?"

His response?  "*singing* Ding, fries are done!  Ding, fries are done!  I gotta run, I gotta run!"

Now that I think about it, I remember watching a YouTube video of some other guy doing the same thing, so that's probably where he got it from.  He also went on to babble about how he hated the gauze, and kept threatening to take it out.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2014, 04:05:27 PM »
Sadly, I don't do funny things under the influence of drugs.  Last time I took a Vicodin, it was right before my dinner with my family.  All I remember is my head being hazy, and feeling a little dizzy.  I took a long, fairly solid nap, if I remember.

However, my sister came out of surgery okay... At least, until she sat up straight in the middle of the night and pretended she was having a phone call with a friend.

She was also blind for a few days following, she having eye surgery done and all, so it was fun trying to lead her around the house, when she kept wanting to use her mental map.  When she walked into a wall, it wasn't my fault, I tried leading her the right way, I swear. ::)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2014, 11:14:25 PM »
My DH wasn't sedated, but had a very late night, took a nap, then took a longer nap that involved going into deep REM sleep. When he woke up, he was a zombie and told us all about the dream he was having. Then woke up and didn't remember that.

suzieQ

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2014, 06:35:50 AM »
My DD had to have her wisdom teeth taken out, and since her DH is deployed, I took her for the surgery. So I have video of her craziness right after surgery on the way home. She smiled and then cried and repeatedly told me the same stuff over and over. For the next couple of days, she told me how she didn't remember any of that and she would watch the video over and over.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/