Author Topic: Funny things you say after being sedated  (Read 4196 times)

Kaymyth

Re: Funny things you say after being sedated
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2014, 04:06:17 PM »
When I was in recovery for my first c-section, I was feeling no pain. (Thank you, morphine!)  So much so that I told DH that I didn't know what all the fuss was about, this was no big deal at all!  I hardly felt a thing! Life was AWESOME!!!

He was kind of laughing at me and I was getting annoyed.

Then the morphine started to wear off and I began to understand just what all the fuss was about.

Oh, to be a normal person like this.

After I had my gallbladder out, they gave me morphine for the pain.  Useless, useless stuff.  No pain relief (over placebo effect), no happy floaty nonsense.  It did none of the things that it's supposed to do.  :-[

It DID give me sleep apnea.  So not only was I still in pain, but I couldn't fall asleep for long enough to escape it.

Then they sent me home with Percocet.  Which again did nothing for the pain and had a very unfortunate side effect.  There are few things less pleasant than throwing up after abdominal surgery.  I resisted the urge to throw the dingdangity bottle across the room and took a naproxen and FINALLY felt a little better.

Come to find out when next I spoke with my dad, most of the family have a genetic immunity to opiates.  Thanks, Dad.  NOW you tell me!  ::)

suzieQ

« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2014, 07:39:31 PM »
I had a hysterectomy after DS was born (my uterus dropped and I was through with it, so they removed it). They put me on a morphine pump, but the morphine made me nauseated and I hate being nauseated, much more than being in pain.
So I bugged the nurses for phenergan  shots because I was hurting but didn't want the morphine without phenergan (anti-emetic).

The doctor figured out what was going on and switched the pump to Demerol. No more problems.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

doodlemor

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2014, 10:45:23 PM »
When I was coming out of anesthesia after having a lot of titanium placed in my ankle bones, I cried and cried and cried for my dog who we had had to put down 9 months before.  I still tend to tear up when I think of him. 

I don't think that the nurse had ever had a dog, because she obviously thought that I was nuts.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2014, 10:09:20 AM »
I've only had general anesthesia twice. The first time I was six years old, and all I can remember is throwing up. The second time, it was propofol, and it was just like waking up normally.

However - a couple of years ago I had hand surgery, and was given a nerve block, and Tylenol 3s. The doctor warned me I might be a little loopy for a while. I swear I was completely cogent and coherent -

Until I looked a few days later at my iTunes, and discovered I'd spent my post-surgery recovery time downloading music. Medieval Norwegian folk songs, to be exact. Then forgot all about them.

(Actually, it was a darn good album. I had good taste, even if loopy.)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."