General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Facebook status discussions that become a back-and-forth between two people

<< < (6/6)

SoCalVal:

--- Quote from: darling on June 09, 2014, 04:40:58 PM ---I also have a friend who will comment on a post and completely hijack it with something totally unrelated nearly immediately When I respond back through a message, and she will post right back in the comments, because she wants everyone to see it.

--- End quote ---

ToxicSis pulled this on me twice (and, also, on my wedding page).  Both times (in my newsfeed), I gave her fair warning (via PM) that I would delete subsequent posts, then I did (on my wedding page, I simply deleted them, I think).  ToxicSis is the most special of SS's.

Celany:

--- Quote from: SoCalVal on June 13, 2014, 03:36:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: darling on June 09, 2014, 04:40:58 PM ---I also have a friend who will comment on a post and completely hijack it with something totally unrelated nearly immediately When I respond back through a message, and she will post right back in the comments, because she wants everyone to see it.

--- End quote ---

ToxicSis pulled this on me twice (and, also, on my wedding page).  Both times (in my newsfeed), I gave her fair warning (via PM) that I would delete subsequent posts, then I did (on my wedding page, I simply deleted them, I think).  ToxicSis is the most special of SS's.

--- End quote ---

That would definitely get a delete from me. I had a few family members that unfriended/blocked me, because I would post a thing to my wall that was say, about feminism, and they'd respond with "but what about this thing that men go through! so unfair! we should be worried about the mans!" and I would PM them privately and tell them that I was deleting that, because we're talking about X subject, and if they want to talk about the mans, then they should start a post on their own wall about the mans". Eventually they unfriended me, because they had this misguided idea that anything that I deleted of their was wrong, however, when they didn't like how an (on topic) conversation was going on THEIR walls, they'd delete all dissenting opinions. So, if they posted that The Snood Party wanted people to be able to do X, but that bad, because X is harmful to people, and other people civilly posted "actually, research has shown that X has this positive benefit, and does this thing that is good, and here is a link to a study about that", they would delete all the dissenting opinions, and rant about how rude it was for people to post things like that on their wall. Sigh.

SoCalVal:

--- Quote from: Celany on June 15, 2014, 11:40:28 AM ---
--- Quote from: SoCalVal on June 13, 2014, 03:36:25 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

That would definitely get a delete from me. I had a few family members that unfriended/blocked me, because I would post a thing to my wall that was say, about feminism, and they'd respond with "but what about this thing that men go through! so unfair! we should be worried about the mans!" and I would PM them privately and tell them that I was deleting that, because we're talking about X subject, and if they want to talk about the mans, then they should start a post on their own wall about the mans". Eventually they unfriended me, because they had this misguided idea that anything that I deleted of their was wrong, however, when they didn't like how an (on topic) conversation was going on THEIR walls, they'd delete all dissenting opinions. So, if they posted that The Snood Party wanted people to be able to do X, but that bad, because X is harmful to people, and other people civilly posted "actually, research has shown that X has this positive benefit, and does this thing that is good, and here is a link to a study about that", they would delete all the dissenting opinions, and rant about how rude it was for people to post things like that on their wall. Sigh.

--- End quote ---

Yes, ToxicSis is the same way...except it would be something like me posting, "Waiting at Drugstore for my prescriptions" or posting the menu of my wedding reception.  Really, nothing that should cause a normal person to go off the deep end.  ToxicSis would then post a diatribe about how inconsiderate I was for being at the drugstore picking up meds when I was ill and how she did such-and-such for 24 hours then felt like a million bucks or how I wasn't offering true vegetarian options and, in detail, how my menu sucked.  Fortunately, she defriended me at some point.  I so much didn't care that I didn't even notice; DH was the one who pointed it out to me.  He thought it unfortunate; I danced a jig in my head.  ToxicSis is a bully -- always has been, always will be.  I hadn't been paying attention because, frankly, I'm not invested in her existence, so I hadn't realized until I really thought about it that she never matured out of this stage (just took to using electronic methods to continue to be this way).

Sometimes, I read about SS's on this forum, the ones who "threaten" everyone else by refusing to talk to everyone else or defriend them, and I just wonder (as do many others here), "Do these people honestly think the rest of us feel as if we're being punished?"  As a guy I once knew used to say, "I wonder what color the sky is in their world."

Oops -- sorry about the hijack!

Raintree:

--- Quote from: darling on June 09, 2014, 04:40:58 PM ---I also have a friend who will comment on a post and completely hijack it with something totally unrelated nearly immediately When I respond back through a message, and she will post right back in the comments, because she wants everyone to see it. In the interest of not starting a war on my facebook page, I tend to let this slide, but it bugs me that people have no consideration for others. And if you are going to discuss going out to dinner with another person on my post, invite me!  ;D

--- End quote ---

This kind of behaviour would result in my going into my custom settings (for "who can see this post") and make the default setting "friends, except (this person)." I've done this to a FB friend whose comments on my statuses used to routinely annoy me, because he would try to start a war with my other friends. I think he has an alcohol problem, and you can tell when he is posting drunk. I wasn't so sure I wanted to defriend him altogether, but at least he can't see my posts now, or comment on them.

As for the original question, I don't mind a bit of thread drift on my wall, or even a complete thread drift. I like that my friends get into discussions with each other that originate with something I've said. But yeah, if it's dinner plans or something that is really of no interest to anyone else, take it to PM.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version