Author Topic: Twice baked potatoes  (Read 709 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Twice baked potatoes
« on: June 09, 2014, 05:40:02 PM »
So yesterday I made twice baked potatoes and it seemed to go well. Obviously they have plenty of carbs; I'm now looking for more things to mix into them, to add protein and/or veggies. Also, I'm interested in things that are very low fat--my current mix-ins are fat-free sour cream and fat-free shredded cheese.

Any thoughts?

Here's what I was thinking so far (not all at once!):
Salsa
Baked beans
Fat-free yogurt
Powdered popcorn flavoring
Soup broth or dry mixes

Does anyone have any thoughts on these? I should mention I know nothing about cooking, so if any of those suggestions seem ill-advised, please let me know! :)
~Lynn2000

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Twice baked potatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 06:13:12 PM »
Interesting topic -- I'll be watching for the replies! ;D

I've only made them with the sour cream, cheese and sometimes bacon (usually crumbled on top).

The salsa and baked beans don't sound very appetizing to me. Probably because they're not something that I think of when serving baked potatoes.

But I bet any kinds of finely diced veggies would be delicious . . . especially broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, sauteed onions . . . now you have my mind whirling. :D

Mashing the potatoes with a broth works well (I haven't done this with twice-baked, but with regular mashed, instead of milk it is quite flavorful.)

Curious to see what other posters have to say.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »
Ham, cheese, brocolli

Turkey chili

Chopped bbq

Grilled or roasted chicken and basil flavored cream cheese

I used to take baked potatoes to work a lot and taking a topping like above. Easy to heat up in the microwave.

doodlemor

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 06:23:31 PM »
How about some Scandinavian type additions like smoked fish and dill sauce, or shrimp?  Sautéed mushrooms would be good, too.

If you use any dry mixes, try just a bit and then taste.  I think that they are so concentrated that a little bit would go a long way.

You could sauté some veggies that you like in olive oil, add a bit of left over cut up cooked meat, and put that on top.  I would like the vegetables that I put in shepherd's pie - onion, cauliflower, green beans, and carrots.  Olive oil is a "good" fat, and would probably be better for you than the lo fat stuff.

Egg salad on top would be good for you, too.

GGL

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 06:31:16 PM »
Broccoli with cheese sauce
Cauliflower with cheese sauce
BBQ shredded pork
Anything you'd put in a taco or burrito
Ricotta and fresh tomatoes
Caramelized onions, cooked chicken breast and a little greek yogurt mixed together
Grilled vegetables
Eggs baked inside the actual potato (http://thevillagecook.com/idaho-sunrise-a-breakfast/)

Ive tried all of these but the last and theyre so good. Especially the onions, chicken breast and a little greek yogurt or the ricotta and fresh tomatoes. Yum!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 08:24:26 PM »
Great ideas, guys! Thanks a lot!  :D
~Lynn2000

perpetua

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 09:32:25 PM »
Prawns, with some low fat thousand island dressing, are great on a jacket spud.

Mikayla

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 09:35:36 PM »
Never underestimate the power of fat-free cream cheese!  I went through a brief period trying to limit fat, and this stuff is so yummy.  I made this one dish with spinach, the cream cheese, canned artichokes, chopped tomatoes and nutmeg, with salt and pepper.  I don't think it had any calories.

You could add the cream cheese by itself into the potatoes or else maybe incorporate this spinach stuff into it somehow.

You could also go ranch and get some Hidden Valley dressing or dip packets.  You can play around with it by adding the non-fat sour cream, some nonfat milk and then to make it a little more robust put in the cream cheese.  You could blend it into the potatoes or else pour it on top with chicken and some hot salsa.

Also, a low cal reuben.  Get the buddig corned beef, top with sourkraut, low fat 1000 Island, and you'd need something for swiss cheese.  It does come low fat.  Slather it over the potato (I just realized a couple of these aren't exactly twice baked). 

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 10:30:49 AM »
Yum, some of these sound delicious! I'm excited to try them out!
~Lynn2000

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 11:53:22 AM »
A late, lamented restaurant made a potato pie that was basically twice baked potatoes without the skin. The dish included finely chopped, sautéed onions, grated Parmesan cheese and bits of ham.  Depending on what the vegetable of the day was the day before, carrots or broccoli might be included.

It was delicious and we 've often made it at home.