Author Topic: S/O a bigger table. Saving a table at a FF place.  (Read 4742 times)

MOM21SON

S/O a bigger table. Saving a table at a FF place.
« on: June 09, 2014, 08:28:39 PM »
I have often wondered about the people/person that send people to save a table while they ordered the food at fast food places.

Is it really fair for the first 20 people ahead of you to have to search for a table, when 2/3rds are taken up by people that have 6 people holding a table when they have a long wait to even order?

Example.  I am first waiting for my food, my order has been placed.  The order line is really long, 20 people long.  A group comes in and sends one person to order food and 12 people to hold 9 tables. 

miranova

Re: S/O a bigger table. Saving a table at a FF place.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 08:34:27 PM »
I can't stand it when people do this, and I do think it's rude.  The people in line were there first, and they should get first shot at the tables.  There is a place here that actually puts up signs saying something to the effect of please place your order before choosing a seat.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 08:38:08 PM »
I hate it. They are blocking a table although it will be another 10 minutes before they get their food while my food gets cold.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 08:45:51 PM »
You might be interested in this thread:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=127129.0

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 11:28:16 PM »
If the rest of the group won't be sitting down for awhile, then I do think it's rude to reserve a table.

On the other hand, if it's only a short timeframe until the group joins the "reservers", I think it's ok.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 12:57:28 AM »
I have no problem with that, and have often done the same thing. I don't see it being rude at all.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 03:28:02 AM »

I actually prefer the system where you grab a table before ordering, rather than afterwards.

If there isn't going to be space for me, I want to know *before* I order, so I can go somewhere else, or wait for a better time, or decide to get take-out instead, rather than when I'm standing in the middle of the restaurant with a tray full of food and nowhere to put it. Particularly at the food court, when I've got a tray full of hot pot or something similarly precarious.

This is pretty standard where I live - people will grab a spot by leaving an umbrella or jacket or their bag at it, then order.

I do object when people are reserving the seat for a lot longer than it takes to order - getting a seat,  spending 15 minutes wandering around the food court deciding what to order, going to the washroom, then finally getting around to ordering.

perpetua

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 03:34:51 AM »
I have no problem with that, and have often done the same thing. I don't see it being rude at all.

Me neither. What's the point of four people waiting at the counter and taking up four times as much space? Then you just end up with a bunfight at the counter as people try to struggle past to place their order.

If I'm with someone in a fast food place I'll sit down while they order; standing in a queue is difficult for me.

I actually prefer the system where you grab a table before ordering, rather than afterwards.

I don't. I don't know what you're supposed to do with your stuff. I wouldn't want to leave my belongings unattended at a table while I went up to the counter; where I live it's invitation for them to be stolen.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 04:41:40 AM »
If there isn't going to be space for me, I want to know *before* I order, so I can go somewhere else, or wait for a better time, or decide to get take-out instead, rather than when I'm standing in the middle of the restaurant with a tray full of food and nowhere to put it. Particularly at the food court, when I've got a tray full of hot pot or something similarly precarious.

Me neither. What's the point of four people waiting at the counter and taking up four times as much space? Then you just end up with a bunfight at the counter as people try to struggle past to place their order.

Ditto.

I used to have a weekly outing to our local shopping centre with a group of 3-5 other ladies. When it was time for lunch, one or two of us would sit at the table in the foodcourt whilst the rest ordered their lunch, then the remaining one-two would go and buy theirs. If two or more people wanted to order from the same place, one person would get all the orders whilst the rest waited at the table. Having us all line up at the one place, then wander around looking for a table with our trays of food would have been ridiculous.

poundcake

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 07:17:42 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with table-saves, too, within reason. Getting someplace a few minutes early so someone can grab a table for your party of 6? Perfectly fine. One person grabbing a table while the other orders? Totally normal. One person taking up an 8-top table for an hour before their book club arrives? Not so much.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 09:03:19 AM »
I think "within reason" is fine. Like if I'm with 3 friends, on a busy day, at the mall, and we decide to eat at the food court. Two will go get their food, while the other two sit at the table, and when they come back, the other two go get their food.

I've done it and its never bothered me when I see others doing it, esp if tables are few and far between. If I have to get my food then try and hunt down a place to sit, I'm not going to be happy. I'd rather know I have somewhere to sit before I try and order, so I can decide what I want to do, take my chances, or come back when its not as crowded.

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 10:04:51 AM »
At the sandwich place I like to go for lunch, some people will come in and "reserve" a table by placing a coat or a bag on it and then get into line.  The problem with this is that although there are a limited number of tables it is usually adequate for the customers until people start saving them.  In general the natural flow of customers (when they are busy) is that it takes about 10 minutes in line and to get your food.  So you are "using" a table for the amount of time you are eating plus about 10 minutes.  When no one reserves a table there is usually a good flow and you can find a place to sit.  When a bunch of people reserve, you wander around and see 10 empty tables with coats on them and no where to sit. 

marcel

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 10:09:30 AM »
Example.  I am first waiting for my food, my order has been placed.  The order line is really long, 20 people long.  A group comes in and sends one person to order food and 12 people to hold 9 tables.
In this example only the number of tables is rude. Do you expect 11 people to just stand around? I expect them to sit down.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 10:47:16 AM »
I think it's fine within reason. It shouldn't be, 11 people in a group are each sitting at a different 4-person table, waiting on the one person in line. But if they're occupying 3 adjacent 4-person tables, I don't see a problem. I would rather have them sitting in the restaurant than standing in line. If they're organized, so the one person ordering can say, "I want 6 hamburgers and 6 cheeseburgers, 8 orders of fries..." that actually goes faster for everyone else, than 12 individuals placing and paying for their own orders.

And as someone else said, I want to know that I have a place to sit before I start placing my order. Because I could get it to go or even go someplace else entirely, if the place is too crowded.

Personally, I do think it's better to leave a person at a table to reserve it, than to leave a thing like a coat or umbrella. Because if it's crowded, the person can tell you how many seats they're saving (especially at places where a lot of the tables are connected). And there's always the possibility that the coat or umbrella was just forgotten, unnecessarily removing that whole table from the pool.

Of course if a restaurant doesn't like this, or they find it doesn't work for their process, they are free to post rules to the contrary, and people should abide by them.
~Lynn2000

miranova

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
The issue is that not everyone reserves a table, so the people that reserve a table are preventing people who got there first and have already ordered their food from sitting down.  I don't see how it's not line jumping to take a table before the people who were in line ahead of you have taken one.  Plus it's inefficient.  Empty tables with coats are just sitting there while someone with hot food can't sit down.  This is assuming it's busy, of course.  Otherwise it's a moot point if there enough tables for everyone.