Author Topic: S/O a bigger table. Saving a table at a FF place.  (Read 4623 times)

Peregrine

Re: S/O a bigger table. Saving a table at a FF place.
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 11:11:59 AM »
I don't see a problem with it, and my family does this frequently.  My husband and I will settle the pre-schooler down at a table with the other adult (usually my very pregnant self at the moment) and gather up napkins, straws, condiments etc. while the other person orders for the family.  That way there aren't three and a half of us standing around waiting in line, trying to keep the munchkin from hanging on the dividers, and cluttering up the drink dispenser/condiment area.

We also tend to be in and out quickly.....we save a lingering meal for a night when we have a babysitter and want to chat.  Not when we are trying to grab a quick lunch time bite at Taco Time.  My hubby and I finish our food and tend to put the kiddo back in the car while he is still finishing the last of his fries or whatever else.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 11:24:16 AM »

I actually prefer the system where you grab a table before ordering, rather than afterwards.

If there isn't going to be space for me, I want to know *before* I order, so I can go somewhere else, or wait for a better time, or decide to get take-out instead, rather than when I'm standing in the middle of the restaurant with a tray full of food and nowhere to put it. Particularly at the food court, when I've got a tray full of hot pot or something similarly precarious.

This is pretty standard where I live - people will grab a spot by leaving an umbrella or jacket or their bag at it, then order.

I do object when people are reserving the seat for a lot longer than it takes to order - getting a seat,  spending 15 minutes wandering around the food court deciding what to order, going to the washroom, then finally getting around to ordering.

Except that there might be a seat for you if other people weren't sitting there without food.

And since I didn't grab a seat first (or couldn't, since I'm solo), you're sitting in a seat I could have used, so there isn't a seat for me.

One of the other problems is that people are tired, they have a lot of bulky stuff, and they don't want to have all of their party stand in line.

My mother never let us take a seat before we got our food unless the seating area wasn't terribly busy.

perpetua

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 11:24:42 AM »
The issue is that not everyone reserves a table, so the people that reserve a table are preventing people who got there first and have already ordered their food from sitting down.  I don't see how it's not line jumping to take a table before the people who were in line ahead of you have taken one.  Plus it's inefficient.  Empty tables with coats are just sitting there while someone with hot food can't sit down.  This is assuming it's busy, of course.  Otherwise it's a moot point if there enough tables for everyone.

I really don't see how that makes any difference.

If I'm with someone and I sit down while they go up to the counter and there are say 2 people in front of them, those two people aren't going to get to a table and finish their food before my companion comes back with our food.  Fast food takes what, two minutes tops to serve, so these people are getting to tables at roughly the same time. The person in front of us in the queue isn't going to finish their food and vacate a table by the time the next however many people are served.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 11:28:39 AM »
The issue is that not everyone reserves a table, so the people that reserve a table are preventing people who got there first and have already ordered their food from sitting down.  I don't see how it's not line jumping to take a table before the people who were in line ahead of you have taken one.  Plus it's inefficient.  Empty tables with coats are just sitting there while someone with hot food can't sit down.  This is assuming it's busy, of course.  Otherwise it's a moot point if there enough tables for everyone.

If I'm with someone and I sit down while they go up to the counter and there are say 2 people in front of them, those two people aren't going to get to a table and finish their food before my companion comes back with our food.  Fast food takes what, two minutes tops to serve, so these people are getting to tables at roughly the same time. The person in front of us in the queue isn't going to finish their food and vacate a table by the time the next however many people are served.

At food courts where seating is a problem, there are -never- just two people in front of you. There are about 10 people in front of you, maybe more, at roughly 10 counters. And it's more like 10 minutes, with that line, not 2.

So yes, absolutely, at the food courts *I* go to, there are 12 people standing there with trays, and nowhere to sit.

perpetua

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »

At food courts where seating is a problem, there are -never- just two people in front of you. There are about 10 people in front of you, maybe more, at roughly 10 counters. And it's more like 10 minutes, with that line, not 2.

So yes, absolutely, at the food courts *I* go to, there are 12 people standing there with trays, and nowhere to sit.

I'm not just thinking of food courts. I'm thinking of anywhere where it's counter service. McD's, BK, KFC, etc.

I really don't see why this is a problem. You (you general) are quite free to have your shopping companions save a table too. And if you don't have one, then you (general) can share a table that has a spare seat on it, because there likely will be one per the other thread.

miranova

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 11:46:05 AM »
The whole point of saving a table is to keep someone else from sitting there first.  Which, if they were there first, and ordered their food first, doesn't seem fair.  I don't expect everybody to agree with me, but that's where I stand.  Which, again, is moot if it's not busy.

perpetua

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 11:49:20 AM »
The whole point of saving a table is to keep someone else from sitting there first.  Which, if they were there first, and ordered their food first, doesn't seem fair.  I don't expect everybody to agree with me, but that's where I stand.  Which, again, is moot if it's not busy.

Actually for me it isn't. I do it so I don't have to stand in a queue on my crutches and hurt myself. I'm not going to stand up for 5 minutes if I can sit, and I'm there for the purpose the table is intended for - to eat my lunch. Someone else is up there right now this second getting it and will be back within a few minutes. I really don't think that's doing anything wrong.

Additionally, if one person is up there ordering food for multiple people, the queue is going to move quicker than 3 or 4 people placing separate orders, so it's more efficient to do it that way.

miranova

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »
Well, you've definitely come up with an exception.  I would never begrudge somebody a place to sit if they had physical limitations that prevented them from standing very long.  I certainly wouldn't think you were rude if you physically need to sit.

perpetua

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 11:55:25 AM »
Well, you've definitely come up with an exception.  I would never begrudge somebody a place to sit if they had physical limitations that prevented them from standing very long.  I certainly wouldn't think you were rude if you physically need to sit.

I'm still doing the same thing though, saving a table. Which I also don't think is rude, you see it all the time here.

Also though, I'm really surprised at how many people think someone asking to share their table is rude. That isn't rude at all where I live, it's necessary because it's so busy, so perhaps that comes into it for me. If I'm sat at a table that I've saved and someone comes away from the counter while whoever's getting my lunch is still being served and comes up and asks if they can sit there when it's busy or even just plonks themselves down there, as long as they leave a space for my companion, I'm not going to bat an eyelid.

lowspark

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 12:25:13 PM »
I think it almost doesn't matter if it's rude or not anymore because most everyone does it. If you don't do it, you're just putting yourself at a disadvantage. In a perfect world, I think it shouldn't be done. But since we don't live in a perfect world, and others are reserving tables, if it's a peak time, you're going to be best off if you do so as well.

To me it ceases to be an etiquette question at the point where you either follow the established norm (which I think this is now) or suffer consequences for the sake of standing on principle. That's not to say that if you feel strongly about the principle you shouldn't do what you see as the right thing to do. But I feel it mitigates the rudeness factor.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 12:35:48 PM »
The problem is that if a lot of people reserve tables at places where it takes a bit of a wait to get your food, the place needs a larger seating capacity. Let's say it takes people on average 30 minutes to eat. If everyone only sits down with their food, that means each group takes up a table for 30 minutes.

Now if everyone reserves a table and waits 10 minutes in line, that means each group takes up a table for 40 minutes instead of 30. So at any given time, you need about a third more tables to accommodate everyone. And often those tables aren't there.

People say they need to reserve a table to have one once they get their food when the reason they can't get one is because everyone is reserving one. There will actually be enough tables if people only take one once they have their food.

At the cafe in the San Francisco Zoo (typically 15 minute wait for food), it was really annoying when your food gets cold while you are trying to find a table when more than a quarter of the tables don't yet have any food on them.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 12:50:10 PM »

Example.  I am first waiting for my food, my order has been placed.  The order line is really long, 20 people long.  A group comes in and sends one person to order food and 12 people to hold 9 tables.

I assume you are exaggerating as this example makes no sense. It has 13 people spread over 9 tables, which would result in 2 tables of 2 people and 7 tables of one person each.

Anyhow, I agree with previous posters that it depends on the ebb and flow of the people in the restaurant/eating area. And I suggest that that it is up to the restaurant to decide how they wish to manage this. Most people do not want to cruise for a table with fully loaded trays.

miranova

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 02:43:10 PM »
The problem is that if a lot of people reserve tables at places where it takes a bit of a wait to get your food, the place needs a larger seating capacity. Let's say it takes people on average 30 minutes to eat. If everyone only sits down with their food, that means each group takes up a table for 30 minutes.

Now if everyone reserves a table and waits 10 minutes in line, that means each group takes up a table for 40 minutes instead of 30. So at any given time, you need about a third more tables to accommodate everyone.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant by it being inefficient.  You have tables with no one eating and yet people with food need tables.  It isn't the fastest way to get everyone through. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 02:44:20 PM »
It's normal where I'm from for the "extra" people to sit down at a table while one or two does the ordering, but then, I don't think I've ever encountered a place where all the seats are filled, even at tourist spots (I guess I'm lucky). I wouldn't want to carry around a full tray looking for a seat, so I'd want to make sure there's a place to sit before ordering (or decide if leaving or a carry-out bag is the better option).

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2014, 02:53:12 PM »
I would rather have the "extra" people and their belongings and restless kids waiting at the table than cluttering up the queue.  That seems most efficient to me.  However, Walt Disney World recently instituted this "no-table-saving" rule at their fast food restaurants.  I wonder how that's going.  ::)