Author Topic: Unique storage solutions  (Read 943 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Unique storage solutions
« on: June 10, 2014, 01:56:45 AM »
This is kind of a spin off of the declutter thread. 
Has anyone seen or used those hanging net storage units?  Not the ones like a hammock, but the ones that look like a fat tube, separated into several sections. 
I wondered about them.  I wonder if they are large enough for clothing items, or if there is such a thing for clothing.  Or if anyone has any other storage ideas.  My storage is so darned lacking and I don't know how much more furniture I can fit into the house in an attempt to gain space to put stuff.
Oh, gads!!!  Just writing this I am thinking I should be getting rid of stuff instead of trying to make more places to put it!  Am I really as hopeless as I feel right this minute?   :-[
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
Re: Unique storage solutions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 02:18:24 AM »
We have one of the cylindrical net things with holes in the sides hanging in Baby Drifter's room, with her clothes in the sections up the top and her squishy soft toys in the ones she can reach.
For adult clothes? Maybe for underwear and tank tops.

And if you feel like you're drowning in 'stuff' then I have found that it helps to start small.
Just - one day. One morning when you have a couple hours free, clean out just the top drawer or two of your tallboy - or just your underwear drawers. And be a bit ruthless about it - my method was to have three cheap laundry baskets for 'keep', 'donate' and 'toss'.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 02:46:04 AM »
when i need to look for creative storage solutions, i take out the ikea catalog because they seem to have nifty ideas. not that you necessarily have to buy it from them, but you may pick up some pointers. certainly look around for unused space - plastic boxes that fit under beds/couches, adding an artificial "crawl space" below a ceiling, storing things in suitcases or rarely used areas, etc.

but if the real issue is that you just have too much stuff - then take it one day/one box/one drawer at a time. It's a wonderful feeling to live with less rather than more. about 10 years ago, DS and I had to run away from my then husband, we had very little time to pack and leave and were moving into a smaller place. we totally downsized and believe me - we miss nothing.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Ereine

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 05:28:39 AM »
I bought a cylindrical net toy storage thing from Ikea, I use it for storing socks. It works sort of fine, though it isn't super practical (if I want something particular I have to take everything out).

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 07:10:38 AM »
One thing to look at is your current storage furniture--dressers, end tables, coffee tables, bookcases, shelving units.

I found that because I lived in small houses or apartments, I tended to buy small furniture. So I ended up with a lot of small storage pieces that worked, but they themselves ended up making the space look cluttered. One place I lived had huge closets, so I bought a lot of those plastic drawer units to go in them and hold various stuff.

When I replaced seven small bookcases with three matching tall ones, all my books still fit, but the three bookcases lined up on one wall looked better and took up less floor space. When I got a larger coffee table, but one with a bottom shelf and two drawers, a lot of the clutter that used to live on top of the coffee table found a home and wasn't visible all the time.

Those plastic drawer units held my stuff even after I moved out of the apartment with the huge closets, but I had to have them out in the open because I never had large, lovely closets again. And looking at 4 not-very-attractive plastic storage units all the time did nothing for me, and less for the decor of the apartment. I found an attractive vintage dresser that sits in my living room and looks like a console and holds all the stuff from the drawer units, but looks 100 times better.

So probably you need to declutter a bit. Most of us do. But take a good look at the belongings you have left, after the decluttering, and see if you can't re-envision ways to consolidate them into fewer, but larger, storage pieces.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Carotte

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 09:32:35 AM »
Are you talking about this kind of thing?

If so I wouldn't go with the Ikea one, see, the openings are not facing the same way and that can be bothersome depending on where it is.
And it's round, and the openings are not very big, perfect for baby clothes or toys but not for adult clothes, unless you really have a lot of underwear and socks...

The adult version would be this kind of thing (also from Ikea):

If you have tall closets with hanging rail and lack in shelving that can be a solution.

Do you use pinterest? do a quick search for "storage solutions" and the likes, you'll find oodles of ideas :)

jmarvellous

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 10:17:36 AM »
I had one like Carotte's lower example, but with a back piece so things only entered/left in one direction. The shelves began to bow pretty quickly, so things would spill out sometimes. I would only recommend it if you absolutely don't have room for something else. It didn't last more than 2 years.

mime

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 10:57:31 AM »
I have a couple of the cylinders from Ikea for my 3yo's closet. It hasn't been a good solution for us. The holes on different sides is a bit of an issue (like Carotte said), and it seems to grow or sag over time. I find that I can't reach in with one hand, but I need to use two hands: one hand to hold the whole thing still while the other reaches in and fishes around for the socks I want.

My parents put one in their closet, though, and are very happy with it, so YMMV.

I do like ikea's storage solutions, though-- so many good ideas!

Over time, I have found that the type of storage that works best for me is larger containers with fewer compartments, or I'll overstuff everything.  :-\

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 11:38:32 AM »
When I replaced seven small bookcases with three matching tall ones, all my books still fit, but the three bookcases lined up on one wall looked better and took up less floor space. When I got a larger coffee table, but one with a bottom shelf and two drawers, a lot of the clutter that used to live on top of the coffee table found a home and wasn't visible all the time.

This is such an interesting principle. "Be a NYer, build up," I always say.
The shape and size of your infrastructure can make a huge difference, both in usefulness and in impact on your home.

Re: the cylinder: if you have all the holes on one side (they're available), I think it would be good for something like stuffed animals or some toys. Largish things that still fit through the holes. You wouldn't want to stuff them full.

I'm not sure what I, as a grownup, would put in there. Maybe scarves? But I don't have that many scarves. I suppose socks. But I'd want biggish holes; the Ikea one looks like the holes are too small for me.

This one is interesting--I can't see any holes, so I think these have an open side.
http://www.lnt.com/show_product/272285-4193/?utm_source=pepperjam&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=272285-4193&source=pjn&subid=3578

(holes on one side: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PZ3GCW/ref=asc_df_B002PZ3GCW3169027?tag=thefind0296347-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B002PZ3GCW&linkCode=asn )
(3 compartments--but very childish in styling:  http://www.obedding.com/Diego-Animal-Closet-Organizer-Hanging-3-Tier-Shelves-Closet-Toy-Basket )

Moonie

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 12:00:26 PM »
I had one of the cylindrical ones in my boys' bathroom. It hung next to the shower and held washcloths, scrubbies, and their shower gel.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 12:09:14 PM »
Come to think of it, that might be a decent solution for storage in my teeny tiny bathroom w/ no floor space.

amylouky

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 12:29:08 PM »
I have a 9-cube storage thing in my boys' closet. It sits on top of the bin piece (it's the modular cube storage stuff.)
It works so much better than hangers that the boys can't reach anyway.. We use the fabric bins for socks/underwear. Shoes go in the bottom bin, and shirts/shorts/pants in the other cubes.
It would work a lot better if my DH would actually look at the clothing sizes when he's putting them away, though.  >:(

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 01:04:51 PM »
Wow!  You all have come up with some good ideas!  And I appreciate the feedback on how limiting the cylinder can be.  I'm going to look at my many pieces of storage furniture and consider trading those off for something that really has space and hopefully has a door to close!.  I do think part  of the clutter comes from the many this and that pieces of small furniture.   
Thank you so much!  This  gives me other ways to think about it.  I am going after an IKEA storage solution catalog/website. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 01:21:16 PM »
Ikea's PAX system is clean and capacious.

But I want to fill the wall of my bedroom w/their kitchen cabinets. Just bolt them all together in a huge mass, floor to ceiling and wall-to-wall. W/ drawers on the bottom and some open shelving, and a bunch of doors.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 02:10:46 PM »
One more thing that I thought was obvious, but a lot of people don't seem to do: if you have closed-top bookcases, the space above the top shelf can also be used to store certain things. Looking around my room, we have decorative items on a couple of them (for idiosyncratic values of "decorative," they include a globe of the moon and a styrofoam dinosaur skull), a basket of useful papers, a bunch of software CDs in a stack, and in the other room we have vertical plastic things that hold various papers, on top of two of the book cases. (Those came from Office Depot or somewhere similar.) The downside is that it can look cluttered, if you just pile things on there, but it's an option if space is tight.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.