Author Topic: Cat folk: Cat #2 is driving me insane. Help?  (Read 1272 times)

perpetua

Cat folk: Cat #2 is driving me insane. Help?
« on: June 10, 2014, 10:29:10 AM »
Cat people: I need some help regarding Cat 2 before I turn him into a rug.

Put simply: he's a nightmare overnight. He's always been this way, so it isn't a new thing and therefore I'm not worried about getting him medically checked out. The nub of the problem is he will not let me get a night's sleep. If I shut him out of the bedroom - which I must do, so I can sleep with the window open - he will meow constantly outside the door, scratch up the carpet and make noise all night until I let him in, which I eventually have to do or I don't get *any* sleep. (Even when I don't let him in and 'reinforce' the behaviour, it makes very little difference - he goes right back to doing it).

He's not hungry or thirsty: he has biscuits and water available 24/7. He's not wanting to go out (he has a catflap, so can come and go as he pleases). If he can't be bothered to go out he has access to his litter tray, so I don't think it's a 'need'. He's not shut in anywhere; he has total access to the rest of the flat. He just doesn't want to be shut out of the bedroom. The old suggestion of playing with him for a while before bed makes no difference, since he's not really a 'play' type cat (they've always been indoor/outdoor, so made their own amusement; toys are a bit of a mystery to them).

If I do let him in, he'll sometimes let me sleep, but other times will wake me up for fuss half way through the night (which he doesn't get, so I'm not reinforcing it that way).

I think he just wants me to be awake *with* him.

My preference is to shut the door and not have him (or the other cat) in the bedroom so I can have the window open overnight.

Suggestions?

Betelnut

Re: Cat folk: Cat #2 is driving me insane. Help?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 10:30:37 AM »
Screens on the window?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

perpetua

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 10:33:54 AM »
Screens on the window?

I've thought about that but they're really not cheap and I honestly would worry about them managing to get through them or pull them off.

I'd just like to be able to shut him out without him howling the house down!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 10:34:14 AM »
I'm having the same issue with one of mine.  I don't let them in the bedroom because I don't want them disturbing my sleep, nor do I want a bed full of cat hair.

I've been getting up and squirting her with a spray bottle but the problem is that when she hears me get up, she tends to run and I don't get the chance to spray her.  I did yell at her the other night and that actually worked.

I'm seriously considering setting up some sort of spray system over the bedroom door so that I can hit a button without getting up and nail her while she's doing the meow, scratch, chew the carpet thing.

So I'm posting here to see what other ideas people might have.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 10:36:01 AM »
My cat always loved sitting in the windowsill up against the screen, so if that's a possibility, you might try it and see if he'll be content.

With my cats, we had a heated workshop at the back of the garage where we shut them in at night--they had their food and water, litterbox, and bed there. It was quite distant from the bedrooms so the cats didn't bother us at night at all. Is there a room like this you could put the cat in for the night, where he has all his stuff, and you won't hear him from your bedroom? He sounds very anxious--maybe the problem is too much space, you know? Maybe he would settle down more with fewer options.
~Lynn2000

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 10:38:26 AM »
My cat always loved sitting in the windowsill up against the screen, so if that's a possibility, you might try it and see if he'll be content.

With my cats, we had a heated workshop at the back of the garage where we shut them in at night--they had their food and water, litterbox, and bed there. It was quite distant from the bedrooms so the cats didn't bother us at night at all. Is there a room like this you could put the cat in for the night, where he has all his stuff, and you won't hear him from your bedroom? He sounds very anxious--maybe the problem is too much space, you know? Maybe he would settle down more with fewer options.

I know this won't work for perpetua - she's in a an apartment - but it might work for me.  I seriously considered locking Sass in the garage a couple of weeks ago.  My problem is that the garage is insulated but not heated/cooled.  And we are soon getting to the point that it'll be too warm out there for her.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 10:42:17 AM »

If you do that you will have to make sure that nothing is in there that they can get into. Antifreeze is poisonous and the damage it doesn't can't be reversed.  The rescue I volunteer at has a cat the owner locked in the garage and now he is in kidney failure and we don't expect him to last much longer.

I know this won't work for perpetua - she's in a an apartment - but it might work for me.  I seriously considered locking Sass in the garage a couple of weeks ago.  My problem is that the garage is insulated but not heated/cooled.  And we are soon getting to the point that it'll be too warm out there for her.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 10:44:46 AM »

If you do that you will have to make sure that nothing is in there that they can get into. Antifreeze is poisonous and the damage it doesn't can't be reversed.  The rescue I volunteer at has a cat the owner locked in the garage and now he is in kidney failure and we don't expect him to last much longer.
Thanks for that - I have some gas cans and some windshield washer fluid out there.  If I do resort to this, I'll make sure to put them somewhere she can't get at them.
Ontario

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 10:46:26 AM »
perputua, sorry to hijack your thread!

I'm going to try setting up a fan that will blow air across my door.  It won't be motion activated but it might work.
Ontario

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 10:58:01 AM »
Would something like this work?   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HHFW8S/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003HHFW8S&linkCode=as2&tag=catrepeller-20

I would think it has too big a range and could adversely affect both cats.  I have something similar for outside because I had a cat sitting under my living room window, tormenting Sass sitting on the windowsill inside.  But if I put that in front of my bedroom door, I don't think they could get by to the basement, where their food and litter is, without getting a blast.
Ontario

perpetua

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 11:09:23 AM »

Yeah, I'm in a first floor (upstairs) flat, so that's no good unfortunately. There isn't anywhere in the flat I wouldn't hear him and if I shut him into a room he'd cry and scratch to get out, and also he wouldn't be able to go out when he needed/wanted to because the cat flap is in the front door, which is off the hallway.  Hope it works for you though, Outdoor Girl!

He's not generally anxious. He just doesn't like being shut out of the room at night (or away from me at night, which may be the problem). I leave the lights on for him but that doesn't make any difference either.

peach2play

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 11:12:16 AM »
How many up high perches do you have avaialbe for the kitty?  Kitties need to be high which is part of the reason they like windows.  As far as not having screens on the windows, how high is your bedroom off the ground?  Most cats aren't stupid and won't jump for it and they really are pretty good about not falling out of somewhere despite the Youtube videos.  He wants in the bedroom because he needs to be able to patrol his territory and keep an eye on you all night (mostly because he thinks your still weirdly shaped kitten).  If they can go in and out at will from the cat door, what's the difference to let them go in and out that window?  I say just let him in and you'll probably be ok.

perpetua

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 11:18:30 AM »
How many up high perches do you have avaialbe for the kitty?  Kitties need to be high which is part of the reason they like windows.  As far as not having screens on the windows, how high is your bedroom off the ground?  Most cats aren't stupid and won't jump for it and they really are pretty good about not falling out of somewhere despite the Youtube videos.  He wants in the bedroom because he needs to be able to patrol his territory and keep an eye on you all night (mostly because he thinks your still weirdly shaped kitten).  If they can go in and out at will from the cat door, what's the difference to let them go in and out that window?  I say just let him in and you'll probably be ok.

I'm on the first floor (It's an upstairs flat, there's another flat below me). They can't jump in and out of the window, it's too high and they'd hurt themselves, which is why I don't want them in there while the window is open. Plus the bedroom is on the front of the house where they're not allowed to go because it's the side nearest the road. (The 'front door' is actually at the back, it's a weird set up, so they go out the flap, down the steps and straight into the back garden, well away from the road). I think Cat 1 would be smart enough not to try to get out of it, but Cat 2 - I really wouldnt put it past him. He is *that* dim. And why take a chance, y'know?

They do have lots of high up places to sit, although they really don't take advantage of that, probably because they're allowed outdoors so they're not patrolling their territory indoors, so to speak. There are bookshelves and windowsills and chests of drawers that they can sit on, but they don't. And I have one of those cat tree things, but they don't even really realise what it's for.

I think he just doesn't like to be away from me at night. When I let him in, he jumps straight onto the bed with me and settles down.

amylouky

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 11:28:46 AM »
Build him a window catio. :)  They're expensive online but there are a lot of DIY instructions and videos out there..