Author Topic: Clutches, purses, bags...  (Read 893 times)

Carotte

Clutches, purses, bags...
« on: June 10, 2014, 01:35:16 PM »
I've been told by my mother that I need a clutch or purse for the wedding I'll be going to this summer.  ::)
I've never had or used one, at the most I have a simple small shoulder bag, but even I find it too informal for the event and the dress I'll have.
I don't see myself with a purse or something big, at the most I just need room for a cellphone, tissue, aspirin, lip gloss.

Do clutches come with a strap? Is the strap ever used or does it look weird?
Altho, having to hold it will actually give me something to do so that's good  ;D

I'm open to any tip about what I should look for or really any purse or bag story :)

(I haven't found one yet that I like (and that I like the price too) so I might DIY. Or have my SO keep my phone  :P)

GreenHall

Re: Clutches, purses, bags...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 01:41:12 PM »
I found one I love searching google for 'Crossbody Clutch'.  I would link the one I got, except they don't seem to have anymore :(  I was going to get as a gift and a backup!

Also, another website recently touted their sponsor du jour - ebags.  http://www.ebags.com/.  There I found some that are what I wanted/what you described under Wallets, then limiting by those with a shoulder strap (there were 55 just now).

I like a small bag for the basics (including my collection of cards) that I can take in and out of the giant 'bag of everything I could possibly need' that I carry around by default.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 02:01:04 PM »
How fancy is the wedding?

You can type in the keyword "clutch" or "wristlet" in department store websites (Macy's, Kohl's, JC Penney, etc.) I'm a huge fan of wristlets since I like straps, and clutches feel uncomfortable in my hand.

Also, this isn't the store that pops first into most people's minds, but Icing usually have prom/wedding accessories. Here's the page to their clutches:
http://www.icing.com/us/search?keywords=clutch

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 02:03:21 PM by rose red »

Arila

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 02:05:22 PM »
I would look for one with at least a shortish strap. Sometimes your hands might be full (while ferrying drinks or plates from the buffet) so it would be good to have a way to secure that.

I am also a fan of the SO with pockets plan.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 03:04:51 PM »
http://www.ebags.com/product/magid/ball-metal-mesh-crossbody-bag/253724?productid=10242445

This one might be a good choice for a small evening bag - or a plain black satin...

If you can sew - make one or add pockets to your outfit or a stole to use instead of a clutch.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 04:56:27 PM »
What Vorfemme said.  I made a nice one out of a remnant of gold brocade, and if I were so inclined I could make a strap for it with some of that gold-colored braid you see holding back drapes, as that's something available at my local fabric shop.

doodlemor

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 05:14:37 PM »
I've gotten a number of lovely evening bags at thrift shops.  Most have little handles on them, and the price was $4 US.

Carotte

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 05:32:26 PM »
How fancy is the wedding?

Not very fancy, relaxed summer wedding with reception in the parc of a castle, but I'm in a nervous "let's make a good impression on SO's family" mindset  :P

I had forgoten about the word wristlet, if I DIY I'll definetly add a wristlet kind of strap.
I had also forgoten about thrift shops, I think I have a few nearby I'll check out.

thanks everyone :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 08:16:49 PM »
I like the small wristlet or clutch bag for evening and special occasions. An ID, credit card, lip gloss and any medication easily fit. I get mine at the discount retail stores like Ross and TJ Maxx here, but eBags and overstock dot com both have them for good prices. You can even get them with pearls embroidered or sparkling crystals.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 09:11:29 PM »
I like a small bag with a strap, if I have to have a purse. (normally I carry my "work bag which is just a canvas tote bag with a hat, scarf, gloves and my lunch in it) or a messenger bag, neither of which are wedding-appropriate LOL.  I don't like clutches; I always feel like I should be sticking it in a pocket.  I don't like to carry a purse.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 11:47:02 PM »
For a casual wedding, I'm very likely to just carry my regular purse. Mine isn't particularly large, and is made of nice looking leather, so it saves me having to transfer stuff into another bag (and possibly forget something important). Plus, my car keys are kind of bulky, so if I'm driving anywhere, it's nice to have my regular purse since I know they fit comfortably in it.

If your normal purse isn't something you'd be comfortable with, though, I'd go for a wallet-with-a-strap or a wristlet. Those have the advantage of potentially being useful for everyday purposes (either to toss into a larger bag, or take with you for an evening out when you don't want a ton of stuff). But, most of the clutches or evening bags I've seen usually have at least a short strap that can be tucked into the bag or pulled out, depending on what you want. It's often a wrist-length gold chain, but sometimes they have longer ones.

I'd agree that thrift stores might have a good selection, since evening bags tend not to get heavy use. I'd imagine they'd be likely to have at least a handful of nice ones that were in pretty good condition.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 12:16:05 AM »
I have a pretty cream/pearl fancy purse that I use for weddings and such - it has a handle and a removable chain strap.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

peaches

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 12:27:27 AM »
I think a clutch (or wristlet) is worth investing in for dressy occasions. 

They never seem to go out of style, and whatever you choose should be useful for many years.

For a casual summer wedding, a cream or nude clutch would be pretty. Patent leather is popular in clutches right now, and would work for a summer daytime wedding. Of course, black is always acceptable. Silver or gold, satin or sequins, are dressy materials for special occasions.

Metallic clutches are fashionable, too. Here's an example (comes in gold or silver, and with a chain):

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/la-regale-metal-python-box-minaudiere?ID=1424573&CategoryID=26846&LinkType=PDPZ1

The Duchess of Cambridge is very fond of clutches. I enjoy the website Whatkatewore.com. You can follow her fashions there. She uses a lot of clutches!

I would start with the dress or outfit you plan to wear, then search for an appropriate purse/clutch/wristlet.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 01:13:39 AM by peaches »

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 04:38:20 AM »
Oy! I am a purse/luggage junkie. I have numerous ones in black (from satin to sequined), gold, and silver. I try to match the clutch/clutch with shoulder strap to the shoes I am going to be wearing.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 07:12:09 AM »
Usually, I don't carry a purse.  I have a large tote bag with an inside pocket for my keys and wallet. 

On the other hand, I have about half a dozen evening bags collected over the years.  Most of them are clutches with a detachable chain shoulder strap and they're big enough to hold what I need. 

A while back I bought a pair of black fabric dress shoes with matte satin banding across the vamp.  In a thrift shop I stumbled upon a bag that's almost a perfect match.

Thrift shops are wonderful for these things.