Author Topic: Kitty Dangers!  (Read 1011 times)

Amara

Kitty Dangers!
« on: June 11, 2014, 12:22:30 PM »
I don't know how many of you follow the Love Paw Family, but they are two cats--one has only one eye, the other is blind--who were recently adopted by a wonderful family from Purrfect Pals. They are so sweet! One of the hoomins posted about some real dangers posed to another one of their cats before they elected exploratory surgery prior to adopting. There is nothing to link to--not a permalink anyway--but if you go there today scroll down one or two posts. Here it is, and the picture of the recovered items is enough to make you gather them all up in your home: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-Paw-Family-w-wo-eyes/392169377588900

A WORD TO THE WISE. We had a cat surrendered to us due to several issues, one of which was an abdominal mass. The owner's vet thought it was a tumor on the spleen and recommended euthanasia. One of our vets disagreed and said there was something in the stomach but could not determine what. After considerable debate between foster homes (cause if this was a tumor we could not save him but if it wasnt....) we elected to have an exploratory surgery done and this was pulled out of the cat. They are HAIR TIES and the owner had a jar of them she would throw for the cat to chase. Obviously not all of the wound up under the fridge. Due to a series of serious errors between the owner and the vet this cat almost lost his life, and if and of the bands had moved out of the stomach he would most certainly would have died anyway!

snowfire

Re: Kitty Dangers!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 01:03:53 PM »
I saw that one.  It was scary!  And Boris the Cosmonaut Kitten just had to have major surgery because he ate a plastic bra strap. 

I try to be super vigilant about rubber bands and such, but I think I have to re-evaluate what a cat might think is interesting...

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 01:19:13 PM »
One or both of my two will chew into loaves of bread if they are left accessible.  I'm pretty sure it is the rotund one because it doesn't seem to happen when the bread is on the counter, which the not-rotund one could still get to.

I'm not really worried about the bread (other than kicking myself in the butt *again* that I forgot to put it out of reach) but I do worry about the plastic they injest with it.

I'll have to be more vigilent with my hair ties and elastics off my paper.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »
It only takes a moment to miss it.

Stephen already had an emergency run to the vet last year after DH took his eyes off the string wrapping the chicken for just an instant as it went into the bin. He turned back to see it vanishing into the cat. It turns out if you get the cat to a vet fast enough, they can give them an emetic. Cue the vet holding up a bedraggled length of string-ex-kitty and memorably asking DH "Is this your string, sir?"

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 01:41:08 PM »
Curlicue ribbon is another bad one.  My cat liked to play with it.  Then I noticed that she was eating it!  Away it went.  A few days later?  Ribbon out the back end.  I cut it off as close as I could with a pair of scissors, knowing that I shouldn't pull it out.  Turns out, there was only about an ince left in her so I could have.  I was lucky she wasn't hurt.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

greencat

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 02:06:20 PM »
When the kittens got into my sewing stuff, one managed to create a tangle of thread, and then get a paw stuck in a loop that formed a slipknot.  I am so glad I was home when it happened - it was pretty tight around his foot and was obviously a bit painful.  Of course, being a kitten, he was trying to escape from whatever had caught his foot rather than attacking the string, which would have enabled him to get himself loose.

Amara

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 02:52:04 PM »
And of course dental floss. Wrap in tissue and dispose in a wastebasket the cats can never get to. Floss is exceptionally dangerous.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 03:58:25 PM »
Dental floss is awful. We used to have a cat called Sam, who'd go out to roam about the driveway (always supervised, never left the yard) and the neighbor kids did not like Sam in the least. One threw a wad of used floss onto the driveway and naturally, Sam ate it.

He ended up with his intestines perforated in 27 places, and though the vets tried, they had to put him down. :(
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 04:10:34 PM »
Christmas tinsel is another one.  My sister's old cat (he lived to be over 18) would eat tinsel off the tree, then hurk shiny piles when he was younger.  We've never had a tree around our present cats, because I'm sure they'd see it as a big green kitty toy.

dawbs

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 06:23:29 PM »
Christmas tinsel is another one.  My sister's old cat (he lived to be over 18) would eat tinsel off the tree, then hurk shiny piles when he was younger.  We've never had a tree around our present cats, because I'm sure they'd see it as a big green kitty toy.

And the easter grass crap from baskets.

(although, FWIW, my cat eats MY hair sometimes too...which causes interesting litterbox problems.  Cats are weird)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 06:25:42 PM »
Boris the Cosmonaut Kitten just had to have major surgery because he ate a plastic bra strap. 

A bright point in his recovery is the joking about his shaved belly, which has revealed his cat-boobs, or "coobs."
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 06:38:47 PM »
One of mine eats up hair off the bathroom floor - mine, hers, whoever; she's not fussy.  It does make for some stellar hair balls.
Ontario

greencat

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 08:58:40 PM »
I had one cat that fell off the second floor landing railing and dropped about 14 feet straight down onto my glass-topped dining room table 3 times - that I saw.

After that, I moved the couch into the drop zone.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 11:08:02 PM »
feet first though, right?

:)

My kitty is 17 years old.  Just the occasional hairball, and for some reason, she begs to go outside during thunderstorms.  She got out in one last year and and it was a pitiful comedy routine to see my two teenagers trying to coax her back indoors with food and beach towels. 

Yet, she still tries to go out, or at least act, like she wants to go out in a storm. 

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

GreenHall

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 09:27:20 AM »
I had one cat that fell off the second floor landing railing and dropped about 14 feet straight down onto my glass-topped dining room table 3 times - that I saw.

After that, I moved the couch into the drop zone.
An Aunt and Uncle had a cat that would get on their roof, and then cry.  I was concerned, but they said the cat always got itself down. 

Later I was outside, and noticed the cat wriggle around (like scratching it's back?) on the roof, near the edge.  Shortly after there was a light thud, and shortly after that I saw the cat on the ground. 

Inside, later,  I heard the piteous meowing again, followed medium shortly by another light thud. 

My interpretation is that the cat wouldn't jump down, but had just enough thought process to realize that every time she rolled around on the roof she got herself down.   ::) :-\