Author Topic: Rude Cashier?  (Read 4668 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Rude Cashier?
« on: June 11, 2014, 07:08:04 PM »
Yesterday I wasn't feeling well (today it's worse!) and I left work early for home.  I stopped at a Target on my way home, and picked up some DayQuill and some cough drops.  The cashier rang up my stuff, informed me that I needed to produce my driver's license due to buying Dayquill and immediately turned away from me to start spraying the conveyor belt with, I presume, some sort of antiseptic/antibacterial spray.  She had her back completely turned away from me and spent so long spraying that I had to actually say, "here's my driver's license".  She took it very gingerly with the tips of her nails and dropped it on the counter in front of me instead of handing it back when she had swiped it.  She then went back to spraying the conveyor belt and wiping it down multiple times.  She directed every person who came up to her station to another station.  After I paid, she threw my bag down on the counter instead of handing it to me, and wiped down the conveyor belt AGAIN.  I felt like she was making a point that, because I was sick, I shouldn't be there.  Would you call this rude, or just someone who's slightly germophobic? 

perpetua

Re: Rude Cashier?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 07:10:51 PM »
Would you call this rude, or just someone who's slightly germophobic?

"Slightly" germophobic? That's ridiculous. I'd be reporting her.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 07:36:50 PM »
Would you call this rude, or just someone who's slightly germophobic?

"Slightly" germophobic? That's ridiculous. I'd be reporting her.

So would I, and I've been the 'slightly germaphobic' cashier (retail can be gross! ewwww!). You can wipe down your counter after they leave and discreetly wipe your hands, but making a production of it is insulting to the customers.

I should mention also that you shouldn't feel bad about needing to be out when you are sick. Of course you (and the cashier) should take precautions, but everyone else in the store has germs too. They just aren't as noticeable as yours. :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 07:39:57 PM »
Snowdon, if you weren't sick you wouldn't be there buying the stuff. That's an overreaction on her part and would only be necessary, IMHO, if you'd sneezed all over the conveyer belt. She's acting like you're a plague carrier.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 07:44:40 PM »
How did she know you were buying the stuff for yourself and not for a sick friend/relative?

I've been the one shopping while sick because I was out of food/juice and didn't have a choice.  I let the cashier know, after I'd paid, to use some hand sanitizer.  She just thanked me.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 08:22:33 PM »
Wow, that seems like a big overreaction on the cashier's part. I think when I felt better I would inquire with the store whether that was their new policy now. Even if it was, her general attitude about it was poor and worth complaining about it. It sounds like she used up quite a bit of the store's cleaning resources on just the one transaction--and directing customers to other registers sounds like it could impede the flow of the system. If I were a manager I would want to know about that.

I know someone might have an extra special reason for not wanting to get sick, like a small child at home, but if so she should be talking to management about changing her duties, not alienating the customers.
~Lynn2000

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 09:04:41 PM »
I agree, a *huge* overreaction.

And the turning her back on you? very pointed.

I might be mad enough to go talk to the manager, or call.

Peppergirl

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 09:16:26 PM »
Wow, I generally am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to most customer service people, but this is terrible.  I agree with Toots.  I'd actually go so far as to report it.

If you kept the receipt, they are usually able to track who she was by using it. 

I understand none of us want to get sick, but there are much more subtle and non-offensive ways of dealing with it.  Absolutely appalling!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 09:28:52 PM »
Dear Lady Snowdon,

I hope you're feeling better and I agree that the cashier was very rude.

People who are that concerned about contamination should not be working with the public. 

Like other posters, I think the actions of the cashier should be reported to management. 

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »
I'm glad I wasn't overreacting to the actions of this woman!  I will save the receipt, but any calling or talking to someone higher up will have to wait until my voice is back.  My DH and I joke that I somehow been struck with "The Curse of the Target Cashiers".  Nearly every time I go to that particular Target, something strange happens while I'm in line to pay.  There was the guy who lectured me for five minutes on how I should go out and celebrate New Year's Eve by drinking Red Bull, the lady who informed me that I was contributing to a culture of materialistic excess by purchasing six items of clothing for a niece's birthday, the person who told me I needed to buy more Slim Fast drinks to "get you to a weight where you aren't ugly", and so on and so forth.  I swear, I don't know how it happens.  These cashiers appear to be totally normal and act courteously to everyone ahead of me in line, and then somehow I pull out all the craziness. 

purple

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 11:32:29 PM »
I'm glad I wasn't overreacting to the actions of this woman!  I will save the receipt, but any calling or talking to someone higher up will have to wait until my voice is back.  My DH and I joke that I somehow been struck with "The Curse of the Target Cashiers".  Nearly every time I go to that particular Target, something strange happens while I'm in line to pay.  There was the guy who lectured me for five minutes on how I should go out and celebrate New Year's Eve by drinking Red Bull, the lady who informed me that I was contributing to a culture of materialistic excess by purchasing six items of clothing for a niece's birthday, the person who told me I needed to buy more Slim Fast drinks to "get you to a weight where you aren't ugly", and so on and so forth.  I swear, I don't know how it happens.  These cashiers appear to be totally normal and act courteously to everyone ahead of me in line, and then somehow I pull out all the craziness.

LOL!
That's actually pretty funny.
I think you should just chalk this up to another weird Target thing.....and start a thread here and tell us all the Target stories.  ;D

Mopsy428

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 11:41:07 PM »
The cashier was obnoxious. I'd report her, especially after directing other people away from her station. It's not like you have TB.

Mister E

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 11:57:48 PM »
She sounds very germophobic. And maybe kind of rude. But personally I wouldn't care and I'd just ignore it and let it go because I'd just want to buy my stuff and get out of there. I'd probably report someone if they made a comment about me spreading my filthy germs around though. It's probably just me but to me it's not worth it reporting them because I figure I'll probably never see that particular cashier again anyways. Just my opinion.

Ed. P.S. But I'd definitely be rolling my eyes internally at her.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:26:16 AM by Mister E »

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 12:06:19 AM »
She was totally overboard and rude.  Somebody with that big a phobia of germs and that type of personality needs to find another job, one which does not necessitate human interaction.  Although I am not usually one to report service people, I would do so in this case.  It's surprising she still has a job.

OP, I want to go to Target with you, just for the intrigue!    ;D  I am picturing the Target Lady from SNL!  A friend of mine back in Mississippi can't shop at Winn-Dixie without coming back with a weird story, although his seem to involve other customers or various other strange happenings rather than cashier oddities. 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

lakey

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 12:09:03 AM »
She's deluding herself if she thinks that she can avoid contact with cold viruses. I was a teacher. I had a certain number of colds every year in spite of washing hands and using antiseptic constantly. We had a dispenser right in the room.
During cold season, the kids, or in the case of store employees, the customers are getting viruses on everything they touch.
In a classroom it is all the materials, papers, walls, doors, doorknobs, books, clothes, furniture, pencil sharpeners, everything.
In a store it is walls, money, furniture, carts, products, shelves, everything.
Every dollar bill or coin she handles is a virus factory.

When I retired from teaching I stopped having colds almost entirely.