Author Topic: Rude Cashier?  (Read 4577 times)

diesel_darlin

Re: Rude Cashier?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 03:14:09 AM »
That was over the top. I'm a cashier, and I will do the same thing after the sick customer has left. There's absolutely no way to avoid getting sick when working with the public. I just try to postpone it a bit.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 05:35:05 AM »
... the person who told me I needed to buy more Slim Fast drinks to "get you to a weight where you aren't ugly"...

WHAT?!!!!

Was that a cashier you had at some point, or a random stranger? What?!!! Who says that?!! WOW!

:o

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 09:13:42 AM »
She's deluding herself if she thinks that she can avoid contact with cold viruses. I was a teacher. I had a certain number of colds every year in spite of washing hands and using antiseptic constantly. We had a dispenser right in the room.
During cold season, the kids, or in the case of store employees, the customers are getting viruses on everything they touch.
In a classroom it is all the materials, papers, walls, doors, doorknobs, books, clothes, furniture, pencil sharpeners, everything.
In a store it is walls, money, furniture, carts, products, shelves, everything.
Every dollar bill or coin she handles is a virus factory.

When I retired from teaching I stopped having colds almost entirely.

I worked as a cashier in a pharmacy for a few years, so obviously I was exposed to sick people all the time. I think after a while the exposure actually started helping me against common colds--I rarely ever had them while I worked there--but that was all cancelled out by the Mega Flu of Doom that I also got from there that was the worst sickness of my life. Sanitizer and cleaning the workstation are great, but that stuff's in the air too, and once in a while you're going to catch something.

m2kbug

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 09:47:47 AM »
I'm glad I wasn't overreacting to the actions of this woman!  I will save the receipt, but any calling or talking to someone higher up will have to wait until my voice is back.  My DH and I joke that I somehow been struck with "The Curse of the Target Cashiers".  Nearly every time I go to that particular Target, something strange happens while I'm in line to pay.  There was the guy who lectured me for five minutes on how I should go out and celebrate New Year's Eve by drinking Red Bull, the lady who informed me that I was contributing to a culture of materialistic excess by purchasing six items of clothing for a niece's birthday, the person who told me I needed to buy more Slim Fast drinks to "get you to a weight where you aren't ugly", and so on and so forth.  I swear, I don't know how it happens.  These cashiers appear to be totally normal and act courteously to everyone ahead of me in line, and then somehow I pull out all the craziness.

Bwahahaha!  I avoid shopping at one store for this reason!  The cashiers and employees are generally very nice, friendly, and polite, but the people that shop there are nasty!  I seem to always have some uncomfortable encounter and have been reduced to tears in the car.  I reluctantly go in there for a few things from time to time because of convenience but avoid it otherwise.

That cashier was rude.  If she is that "germaphobic," she should not be working in this type of industry.  Germs are par for the course.  The management should get a heads-up on this.  She humiliated you for having a cold and was blatantly rude.

mime

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 10:21:33 AM »
I agree with the others: her concerns are debilitating to the point that she can't handle her job, and it is worth reporting:
  • She's too distracted sanitizing the conveyor to complete a transaction; you had to redirect her attention back to you
  • She's too worried about cooties to touch your ID card
  • Her need to disinfect caused her to redirect customers to other lines instead of wait on them as her job requires

I wonder how often she washes her hands after handling money? After being a cashier for several years I remember how filthy my hands were after handling bills and coins!

Possum

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 03:49:02 PM »
I was thinking she was rude and/or very OCD (in the literal sense, I have it, and it looks like germophobia, but it's really just about touching things others have touched, germs or no), until this:

She directed every person who came up to her station to another station. 

The fact she was directing people away, coupled with the cleaning fervor, indicates to me that maybe she was cleaning up after someone or something *before* you.  Maybe someone put a kid in a messy diaper on the belt, or someone threw up on it, or someone *had* sneezed on it, and she was trying to get it to where she felt like it was properly clean. 

If not, then she was rude, or has some rather bad OCD and probably needs to find a job where she doesn't have to handle strangers' things. 

miranova

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 04:36:49 PM »
Not only was she rude, but it doesn't even make sense to clean the area while you are still standing there and still (presumably) breathing and speaking and doing things that generally transmit airborne illness.  Even if we discount etiquette for a moment, it would make far more sense to finish the transaction as quickly as possible to decrease her exposure and THEN clean up.

And yeah, the pointed way that she did everything was over the top rude.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2014, 04:42:50 PM »
She went above and beyond rude.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2014, 04:56:20 PM »
Not to mention cleaning all the parts the OP didn't touch--so far away that she had her -back- to the OP.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 10:47:28 PM »
I was thinking she was rude and/or very OCD (in the literal sense, I have it, and it looks like germophobia, but it's really just about touching things others have touched, germs or no), until this:

The fact she was directing people away, coupled with the cleaning fervor, indicates to me that maybe she was cleaning up after someone or something *before* you. Maybe someone put a kid in a messy diaper on the belt, or someone threw up on it, or someone *had* sneezed on it, and she was trying to get it to where she felt like it was properly clean. 

If not, then she was rude, or has some rather bad OCD and probably needs to find a job where she doesn't have to handle strangers' things.

But if she was directing people away so she could clean up after a previous customer, wouldn't she have directed the OP away as well? If there was a biohazard on the belt, she shouldn't have been checking the OP out before she'd cleaned up.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2014, 12:17:49 AM »
I worked as a cashier in a drugstore in the early 80's before everyone was afraid to touch anything and hand sanitizer was a thing, and I lived to tell the tale. The cashier was as rude as can be.

LB

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 11:36:09 AM »

The fact she was directing people away, coupled with the cleaning fervor, indicates to me that maybe she was cleaning up after someone or something *before* you. Maybe someone put a kid in a messy diaper on the belt, or someone threw up on it, or someone *had* sneezed on it, and she was trying to get it to where she felt like it was properly clean. 

But if she was directing people away so she could clean up after a previous customer, wouldn't she have directed the OP away as well? If there was a biohazard on the belt, she shouldn't have been checking the OP out before she'd cleaned up.

It sounds to me like she may have been cleaning her station because her shift was over. When I was a cashier, I was required to clean everything before I left and that often meant I had to tell multiple customers that I was closed, please go to the next register.

However, from her attitude and turning her back on the OP, she still sounds rude to me.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 11:40:43 AM »

It sounds to me like she may have been cleaning her station because her shift was over. When I was a cashier, I was required to clean everything before I left and that often meant I had to tell multiple customers that I was closed, please go to the next register.

However, from her attitude and turning her back on the OP, she still sounds rude to me.

Then she should have either turned the OP away, if her shift was already over, or cleaned after serving the OP. If the cleaning had nothing to do with the OP*, then there is no reason she should have been doing it during the OP's transaction.

*IMO, she should have waited even if she was cleaning because of the OP, but if it wasn't, that just makes it even more absurd.

LB

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 12:03:13 PM »
I don't disagree at all that she was rude. Cleaning up after your shift was always supposed to be after all customers had left your line. Of course, others would come to you while you were cleaning, so you had to direct them to another cashier.

I was just addressing the possibility that her cleaning had nothing to do with germaphobia or OCD.

I agree it doesn't change the fact that she was rude.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 01:51:09 PM »
I was reminded of this thread when a cashier pulled out some antibacterial wipes yesterday right after my transaction. I was feeling a little bit grubby already because I had been cleaning the house, so that hit home, lol!

But she was a very nice girl, and she had no customers except me, so I think she was just cleaning because she was bored. :)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.