Author Topic: movie theatre and cell phones  (Read 5462 times)

LilacGirl1983

movie theatre and cell phones
« on: June 13, 2014, 12:50:05 PM »
Sorry if this is answered somewhere else. Hubby and I went on date night to the movie Malificient (Sp?) and when we sat down there were 3 ladies behind us to the left of us so I could see them out the side of my eyes. They were talking and doing things on their cell phones through the previews..I ignored it figuring that the ample signs and even on the big screen warning of no cell phones on. Well the lights dimmed all the way and the movie started and they were still on the cell making it light up and flash. It was at least 2 of them using it and talking. Pointed looks got no where. I turned around and said please turn them off! and turned back around to watch the movie. As we left I heard them say I was rude.

Goosey

Re: movie theatre and cell phones
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »
Of course they were rude? What are you asking - if you were rude? Of course not.

Arila

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 12:53:02 PM »
They were rude, and your request was reasonable.

A sharp tone might have been rude, but I would find it understandable in that situation.

AuntyEm

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 10:04:23 AM »
They obviously don't have a clue about what constitutes rude behavior so don't let their comment bother you.

Coley

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 10:33:30 AM »
This is something I wouldn't give a moment's concern about. Not only is it common knowledge to turn off one's cell phone in a movie theater, but it's also common knowledge not to talk in a theater. The announcements and big-screen warnings also make that clear. The phone should have been turned off and put away. They know that. They might have been embarrassed by being called out, but their embarrassment is their responsibility.

DCGirl

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 10:37:28 AM »
This is something I wouldn't give a moment's concern about. Not only is it common knowledge to turn off one's cell phone in a movie theater, but it's also common knowledge not to talk in a theater. The announcements and big-screen warnings also make that clear. The phone should have been turned off and put away. They know that. They might have been embarrassed by being called out, but their embarrassment is their responsibility.

Is it common knowledge these days?  Sometimes I wonder. 

Coley

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 10:46:11 AM »

Is it common knowledge these days?  Sometimes I wonder.

I know what you mean. Maybe I should say, "I'd like to think it's common knowledge." It's one of those things people ought to know better about by now, but there are those special snowflakes ...

floridamom

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 11:52:36 AM »
This is a very hot and heavy topic in my area and very sensitive for many different reasons.  I live in the same county where this happened so you can understand :( (http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2014/1/13/wesley_chapel_theate.html

I have mixed feelings when it's just the previews playing.  But I definately agree phones should be off or in a silence mode during the playing of the movie.  My feeling is bring it to the attention to the movie theater staff instead of confronting due to the reason above. :(

Added to say I only linked the article to note what had happened that locally regarding cell phones and movies theaters.  It is not to start debates and opinions.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 12:03:36 PM by floridamom »

NyaChan

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 12:00:25 PM »
I'm of the opinion that they need to change their PSAs on cell phones in the theater.  Currently, they all show extremes - someone's phone going off loudly and repeatedly for example.  I think it leaves people rationalizing, well I'm just checking this once, and I'm shielding the screen, surely others will let this go, it's not like I'm making/taking a phone call, etc. Maybe they'd be more successful in showing a commercial similar to what OP experienced - they are watching a movie and get distracted by light in their periphery  :D

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 12:08:59 PM »
This is why, as someone who works at a movie theater, I love the GEICO camel ad telling people to turn off their cell phones. People will laugh, sure, but I will notice a few actually turning off their phones at that point. Then again, most people who patronize the theater I work at aren't so boorish as to be on their phones during the movie - and, I would imagine, most people aren't that rude.

If people are doing stuff that's disruptive, speak to one of the ushers. They generally have the authority and blessing of the managers to boot people who are being obnoxious.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 01:07:53 PM »
They can think you were rude if they want...it's not like you can chase them down and change their minds.

However, I find cellphones on in movies to be extremely rude and distracting and inconsiderate.  I just paid an arm and a leg (movies are so expensive now!) and I want to enjoy the movie without the distraction of your cellphone's bright screen, thanks very much.

I'm in the habit of turning my phone off as soon as I sit down. Even on silent, in my pocket, if I don't answer it or check it, the buzzing in my pocket is distracting to me.  I want to watch the movie!
"After all this time?"
"Always."

squeakers

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 01:42:08 PM »
Maybe movie theaters need to get a bit interactive like this commercial for no texting while driving: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHixeIr_6BM
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 02:19:45 PM »
I'm of the opinion that they need to change their PSAs on cell phones in the theater.  Currently, they all show extremes - someone's phone going off loudly and repeatedly for example.  I think it leaves people rationalizing, well I'm just checking this once, and I'm shielding the screen, surely others will let this go, it's not like I'm making/taking a phone call, etc. Maybe they'd be more successful in showing a commercial similar to what OP experienced - they are watching a movie and get distracted by light in their periphery  :D

We just saw Maleficent at the El Capitan (classic theater in Hollywood.) Their announcement specifically mentioned that glowing screens were a problem. It seems as if everyone followed directions, which was great. It was not a video, but made in person by the theater manager, which might have helped.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 02:41:25 PM »
I think that many people today are so used to getting their entertainment through DVDs at home that they've forgotten the basic rules of theater etiquette.  At home, you can take all the calls you want and make all the comments you want.  They just carry that behavior over to public venues. 

It's certainly rude but it isn't intentionally rude. it's more thoughtless than anything else but it's still annoying. 

Possum

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 06:45:57 PM »
We just saw Maleficent at the El Capitan (classic theater in Hollywood.) Their announcement specifically mentioned that glowing screens were a problem. It seems as if everyone followed directions, which was great. It was not a video, but made in person by the theater manager, which might have helped.
I love that they did that.  Around here, we just have chain theaters, and they don't give a crap unless someone complains.