Author Topic: Back in MY day... aka, the Computer Thread  (Read 3469 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Back in MY day... aka, the Computer Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2014, 09:43:24 AM »
I'm right-handed but mouse left-handed:

-- The left arm doesn't have to extend as far (there's a keypad on the right)
-- I can type and mouse at the same time more easily this way

I don't reverse the buttons.

Before I got a laptop and I was using a mouse with my home computer, I'd do this at home.  I am a little slower so I don't do this at work unless my right arm/wrist is bothering me.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

darling

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2014, 09:57:40 AM »
Love all of these!

Well, I started this thread, so I should probably add to it:

First computer:

Apple Performa 466, with a 33 MHz processor, 8MB of RAM (I upgraded from the standard 4MB, spent an obscene amount of money doing so), and a whopping 160 MB hard drive. It could drive a monitor to display 640x480, with thousands of colors, and if I wanted millions of colors, I had to switch to 640x400 resolution. I also bought a laser printer for $800 to go with it. Sucker still works (the printer - gave the computer to Goodwill a decade ago). I was studying computer graphic art at the time.

My current laptop, bought two years ago: MacBook Pro, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB of RAM, 1 TB hard drive.

I work in IT, and order a certain number of new machines every year to rotate out the oldest machines. The semester before I started my current job, we bought the first Apple G3 towers (the blue ones): 450 MHz processors, 128MB RAM, 9 GB hard drives. We just received the following machines: MacPro (cylinder model), 3.7 GHz Quad-core (4 processors), 16 GB of RAM, 1 TB solid state hard drives. It can drive a 2560x1440 monitor, and boots both MacOS 10.9.x and Windows 8.

My 4 year old iPod has far more computing power than my first computer bought 20 years ago.

So when people complain about things taking "forever!" to process or render, part of me wants to do the "back in my day" thing...  ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2014, 12:28:33 PM »
Love all of these!

Well, I started this thread, so I should probably add to it:

First computer:

Apple Performa 466, with a 33 MHz processor, 8MB of RAM (I upgraded from the standard 4MB, spent an obscene amount of money doing so), and a whopping 160 MB hard drive. It could drive a monitor to display 640x480, with thousands of colors, and if I wanted millions of colors, I had to switch to 640x400 resolution. I also bought a laser printer for $800 to go with it. Sucker still works (the printer - gave the computer to Goodwill a decade ago). I was studying computer graphic art at the time.

My current laptop, bought two years ago: MacBook Pro, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB of RAM, 1 TB hard drive.

I work in IT, and order a certain number of new machines every year to rotate out the oldest machines. The semester before I started my current job, we bought the first Apple G3 towers (the blue ones): 450 MHz processors, 128MB RAM, 9 GB hard drives. We just received the following machines: MacPro (cylinder model), 3.7 GHz Quad-core (4 processors), 16 GB of RAM, 1 TB solid state hard drives. It can drive a 2560x1440 monitor, and boots both MacOS 10.9.x and Windows 8.

My 4 year old iPod has far more computing power than my first computer bought 20 years ago.

So when people complain about things taking "forever!" to process or render, part of me wants to do the "back in my day" thing...  ;D

I don't think that that word means what they think it means.

I can remember starting a program that was processing a CAD type job - then walking away to fix a snack or a light lunch, eating it, doing the minimal clean up, then going back to the computer to find out that it was still going to take a few more minutes to finish that drawing...

Still have that Dell laptop & the program installed on it - but there is no way to get power to it - the power plug (plastic) ended up broken.  It was bought in 1992 or so - so the tech is really "old" but past the 5 1/4" floppy drive level - it used 3.5" floppies!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2014, 12:38:15 PM »
Well, this is slightly off the hardware topic, but:

When I was eighteen, I was unable due to health reasons to get a summer job, so I decided to take a summer school course. I chose typing, to the great disgust of my father. Since I wasn't planning on becoming a secretary, he felt that learning to touch-type would never benefit me.

Back on to hardware.

Earlier that same year, I took the first computer class ever offered at my high school. We didn't have PCs - instead, we worked on terminals connected to the mainframe at the local university. The school had purchased a block of time that would cover all the work we'd need to do...

Until one student was assigned on Friday afternoon to create a program for evaluating pi. Now, these terminals were finicky - you had to type in an exact sequence to log on, and another exact one to log off. If you didn't log off properly, you were still using university time.

Student messed up the "logging off" part. His program happily calculated pi on the mainframe until Monday morning, using up all our allotted time, and then some.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2014, 02:26:04 PM »
Hahahahahahahahaha! I just found a wanted ad on CL that included this picture, perfect for this thread! This is what our home computers looked like in 2004. Who knew?  ;D

What is the giant steering wheel for??

[snip]

It's the driver.

ba da bum crash!

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2014, 04:38:58 PM »
Hahahahahahahahaha! I just found a wanted ad on CL that included this picture, perfect for this thread! This is what our home computers looked like in 2004. Who knew?  ;D

I can't find the reference right now, but that photo circulated a few years ago. It's hoax. That's the control panel for a large piece of machinery (I think) and has nothing to do with anyone's conception of a computer.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

daen

« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2014, 06:59:59 PM »
I was eight (I think) when my dad brought home an Apple II. He was running the Computers in the Schools pilot project for the school division, and he'd bring home the computer for weekends and vacation time. He had to put in the extra time to get familiar with the computer, and we were allowed, even encouraged, to work with it when he was finished.

The II used 5 1/4 disks, which a friend solemnly told me would explode if dropped, and would serve up a command prompt and nothing else until you entered the right command. I learned some BASIC programming, as well as playing with LOGO (the drawing program with a triangular "turtle" as a cursor). I played Oregon Trail, Lemonade Stand*, and later, Carmen Sandiego. I also learned the ins and outs of four or six different word processors.

I got a computer as a grad gift - an Apple clone, if I remember correctly- and I was one of the few on the dorm floor with a computer and printer. Most people used the lab at the end of the hall, but when crunch time came, I was suddenly a popular woman, in spite of the Apple/PC divide.

My favorite thing has always been the desktop publishing. I started with Print Shop, which looks laughably crude and chunky now. Later, there was Publish It, which was a precursor to Publisher. I ended up giving a teacher at my dad's school a four-hour tutorial/intro to Publish It when I was sixteen - a little heady for me. At the time, I was using it to lay out the school newspaper.

--
*I don't remember if this is the actual name of the game, but playing it came in handy. In my grade 10 computer science class, our instructor told us that if we earned $40 by the end of that game, which we could play through multiple times, we got an automatic minimum B+ in the class.  Got it first try. That lab was full of TRS-80s.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2014, 10:34:49 AM »
I remember watching commercials for Honeywell that said "In the future, information will be sent directly from computer to computer..." and ended with a ponderous "The future is Now. At Honeywell."
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Coley

« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2014, 11:46:50 AM »
Back in the early '80s, my cousin's husband was working for Apple. He brought the first MacIntosh to a family get-together. We were mesmerized by it. I'm not sure whether the MacIntosh had even been released yet. It might have been a prototype or something.

My younger brother had a Commodore 64 and a small, black, handheld computer in the early to mid-'80s. I'm thinking it was made by Casio or Tandy. We didn't know what to do with them, so they just sat in his room. I took the little handheld one out a few times and hooked it up to the TV as a monitor.

I took a high school computer class in 1985, and there were TRS-80s and a couple of enormous IBMs in the classroom.

I didn't touch a computer again until my senior year of college (1989). I used a typewriter for my schoolwork. A classmate and I were working on a project together, and she wanted to work on it in the computer lab. I was completely panicked by the idea, but I went along with it. The university had enormous IBMs in the lab that were much like the ones in my high school computer class.

My first computer was a MacIntosh Quadra 605 that I bought in 1994 when I was in graduate school. I'd gone two terms typing papers on a typewriter, and I needed a word processor. The Quadra worked well for a few years until the hard drive died. I understand now that the Quadra was sort of like the VW Bus of the MacIntoshes. Apparently, nearly anyone could repair a Quadra.

I replaced the Quadra in 1998 with a Compaq I special-ordered with numerous bells and whistles (a DVD drive!). It cost a small fortune. The idea was that it should last for a while. I made it last, but it was not reliable. I limped along with the Compaq until 2007. It was rather finicky. It had a bunch of USB ports, and it didn't seem to like it when I tried to use any of them. I'm not sure I ever used that DVD drive. I did use Print Shop on it though.  ;D

nayberry

« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2014, 02:39:49 PM »
i think we had a couple of pc's at primary school (4-11ish) but i remember  having an atari for text games at home, and then we got a nes/snes/etc etc,  the first pc's i remember using were in secondary school and we'd mainly program a turtle to draw a pattern.

used computers far more at college (16-18 in uk, university is USA college)  even having issues with someone deleting an assignment and the I teacher backing me up to my teacher as he'd seen my stuff saved and then when it had vanished had been helping me trying to find it.

we've had a home computer since 1997 ish, i had a laptop!! all of 6gb of memory and dial up internet.

since then i've been through about 3 desktops and currently have a tiny weeny lenovo model which cost about 300 but should last for a few years and does so much more that i feel i waste its time...  its actually smaller than my wii,

i've had a version of every nintendo products except for the most recent as i'm saving for it :)  still use my original gameboy for tetrising :) 

nuit93

« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2014, 12:04:30 PM »
56k modems were considered FAST!

Now I get grumpy when the cable/wireless slows down...

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2014, 03:01:32 PM »
I was 2 and a half or 3ish when my sister and I saw our first home computer.  It was a 286 IBM Clone, with 2 entire megs of RAM and a 1 Gig harddrive, two floppies, a 5 1/4 and 3 1/2, and we even had Exmem, so we could use our whopping amount of RAM in DOS!

It ran at 16 mHz, with a Turbo mode of 33.

I remember a lot of DOSShell, and learning a few arcane terms-- such as TSR.  I remember a few of our games would hog all the RAM for themselves, and we'd have to reboot to clear it out so we could do something else.  What a pain in my side. :P

It got upgraded to a 386sx sometime later in its life, though I don't remember when, and we got something new-- a CD Rom Drive, with Win 3.1 installed ontop of it, and 4 Megs.  We were spoiled.  It received another upgrade, bringing it to 486 with a new motherboard, so we could get onto the Internet in 1994, with a 14.4 baud modem.

I loved that machine, and I'm still sad that it's long-since dead.  Sure, it was affected by the Y2K bug, so every time I wanted to use dad's old starchart software on there, I'd have to reset the time myself.  Infact, I played games on it well past the year 2000, too.  We got into Shareware really early, so we had several entire CDs and floppies dedicated to freely available games.

We played a lot of SimEarth, Caesar II, Skifree, Rodent's Revenge, PF Magic's Catz and Dogz, Chip's Challenge, Jill of the Jungle and Crystal Caves on that machine.  I have a fond memory for delving into the Shareware discs and seeing what was on there, too, so yay fond memories of Shareware. :) And the many games and clones it introduced me to!

And yes, we did get a computer upgrade, in 1996.  A Windows 95 with a Pentium 100 Chip, 128 megs of RAM, and a 30 gig harddisk.  We were spoiled silly by my parents, I guess. :P

My parent's first home computers were a TI-99+ and an Apple //e, which is now in the possession of my sister and I.  We played a lot of Atom 20, Oregon Trail (both versions), Lemonade Stand (like another poster above), Wilderness Campaign, and a few odd MECC games we got from our computer teacher in middle school after the school got rid of their Apple //'s.

We also Print Shop for the //e, until the disk corrupted itself one day.  It was a blast. :)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2014, 05:52:47 PM »

[snip]

It's the driver.

ba da bum crash!

Splurt! GOOD ONE! ;D ;D ;D