Author Topic: Hiring a friend. Did I do OK? UD: #10  (Read 4402 times)

katycoo

Re: Hiring a friend. Did I do OK? UD: #10
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 03:44:16 AM »
12 per load!! You could make repayments on a machine for that amount!

But of course, you have to have room to put a machine.

Sure.  But that still insanity pricing.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: Hiring a friend. Did I do OK?
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 06:08:23 AM »
***UPDATE***

Well, that night she never showed up. This is the flaky-ness that i mentioned.

She was supposed to be here at 7:30, at 8:30 she said she would be here "soon", at 10:30 we decided she wasn't coming.

She apologised the next day, she was tired and fell asleep, a little irritating at the time but due to our loose schedule not a big deal.

Since then she's made an offer to help us with our laundry (we don't have a washing machine and can't afford the stupid prices the launderette charges, our house is so tiny that hand-washing means i can only wash 1 outfit each for me and Hubby each time and they will take 2 days to dry, not practical and stuff has built up.)

I'm taking over my 2nd load today, they have been fantastic and so kind to us.

I seriously need to figure out how to thank them for all of this, i'm thinking a bottle of their favourite drink and maybe something from hubby since he's a pastry chef. (We also donate a token ammount for electricity used by the washing machine)
Regarding compensation for the laundry...it occurs to me that since she offered to clean your house for monetary compensation that such an arrangement may have been in her mind when she mentioned the laundry.  I wonder if there is a misunderstanding and she actually expected to be paid beyond the donation to the electricity, but it feels too awkward to mention now. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 09:42:04 AM »

In NYC, I pay more than $1,200 a year to do laundry for a family of 4.

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 10:44:55 AM »

$1200 a year works out to $23.10 a week for a family of 4.  How many loads is that?  The OP is saying 12 per load.  Only 1 load a week works out to 624 (over US$1,058) a year...for one load a week.

OP, can't you find a launderette with lower prices?  Even if you're in London, there's got to be some with lower prices than that.

As for drying, I used to throw sheets and duvet covers over the tops of doors, and hang clothes on coat hangers from the door handles.  It gave me quite a bit of extra drying room when I was falling behind on the laundry.

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 06:52:55 PM »

$1200 a year works out to $23.10 a week for a family of 4.  How many loads is that?  The OP is saying 12 per load.  Only 1 load a week works out to 624 (over US$1,058) a year...for one load a week.

OP, can't you find a launderette with lower prices?  Even if you're in London, there's got to be some with lower prices than that.

As for drying, I used to throw sheets and duvet covers over the tops of doors, and hang clothes on coat hangers from the door handles.  It gave me quite a bit of extra drying room when I was falling behind on the laundry.

A tension shower rod across a doorway makes a good drying line for hangars.  I have also hung hangars directly from the trim on the door frame.  Obviously you'd want to use a doorway that you aren't going through constantly, because you need to duck under the laundry.  DH finally had to hang a closet rod in my laundry room, because I couldn't close the door when there was laundry hanging and DD likes to go in there and play in the dog bowls.  Now I can close the door :)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Hiring a friend. Did I do OK?
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 07:09:28 PM »
***UPDATE***

Well, that night she never showed up. This is the flaky-ness that i mentioned.

She was supposed to be here at 7:30, at 8:30 she said she would be here "soon", at 10:30 we decided she wasn't coming.

She apologised the next day, she was tired and fell asleep, a little irritating at the time but due to our loose schedule not a big deal.

You dodged a bullet--wisely and graciously.