Author Topic: How or Even If I Should Respond?  (Read 11854 times)

SoCalVal

Re: How or Even If I Should Respond?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 01:23:18 AM »
I'm on board with ignore the call and block the number.

Mister E

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 01:43:52 AM »
Wow some people have got a lot of nerve! Yeah I agree go ahead and block her. I'm very interested to hear how this all turns out though.

Ed.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 02:16:08 AM »
My only concern would be if they could be the kind of people who took no answer as an affirmative? Any possibility they could just show up?

If not, I agree. Don't answer and block if possible (I can't block numbers on my phone, so don't know if you can).

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

m2kbug

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 01:19:18 PM »
My only concern would be if they could be the kind of people who took no answer as an affirmative? Any possibility they could just show up?

If not, I agree. Don't answer and block if possible (I can't block numbers on my phone, so don't know if you can).

I just put block on my phone, so now I have that option, but if you don't have block abilities, what I have done is program them into my phone with "No Answer Olga," or just "Don't answer," where you would put someone's name, so when the number comes up on caller ID, that's what you see (assuming there's caller ID).  This will only work if you have slots available to use in the "address book" section of the phone (house phone, I don't have a cell).  Also getting "privacy block" or "anonymous call rejection," so people have to unblock their number to get through is a good idea.  Otherwise, avoid answering any unrecognized numbers.  You may run into the problem of having to answer the phone because you're expecting a call, where you end up blindsided by the offending person, so you need to have something in mind to say just in case.  Old fashioned answering machines for screening calls is useful here as well. :)

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 01:49:16 PM »
I think ignoring the call says more than actually responding. I'd ignore. Let her stew in her own rudeness.

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2014, 01:52:33 PM »
I'm a bit torn. My first reaction would be to ignore but if there is any danger they would just turn up I'd call straight away and say no way, no how.

I am shocked at the gall of some people.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

SoCalVal

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 02:05:58 PM »
I'm a bit torn. My first reaction would be to ignore but if there is any danger they would just turn up I'd call straight away and say no way, no how.

I am shocked at the gall of some people.

I guess I really wouldn't be worried about them just turning up; I'd have no problem at this point of my life telling virtual strangers who showed up that they may not stay at my home and invite themselves on our vacation (learned to do it when I was 16 and dealing with a transient teenage couple who had taken to showing up at my home and expecting lodging so I've learned since then to run scenarios in my head for a prepared response when a difficult situation looks like it might occur).

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2014, 02:13:28 PM »
Oh, I would not have any problem with telling to go away. However, it would certainly add a bit of drama to my holiday I could definitely do without ;-)
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2014, 02:15:12 PM »
Ignore and do not engage. 

I also own timeshares.  Amazing the number of people that have expected to have a free vacation on my dime.  Fell for it only once, lesson well learned.

Night Audit Woman

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2014, 03:05:40 PM »
Former Night Audit Woman here, who also worked the reception desk at a large resort for 9 years. Yes, people do show up unexpectedly trying to get into other people's condo's.

The resort I worked at was run by college students on the weekends with no managers on site. Mistakes happened.

Hopefully she does not know your vacation dates and can not find them out if she calls your vacation spot. Make sure she can't. Not to scare you but, I wouldn't put it past her to just show up.

My vote is in to call her back and tell her "hell no" so that there are no misunderstandings.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2014, 03:36:59 PM »
We own several time shares.  We have invited family & select friends to join us in the past.  VorGuy is an introvert - so we do not invite other people every time, just when he feels up to it...

Having someone call out of the blue like that would have them added to the firm list of people that would never get an invitation.  Ever.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:17:58 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Figgie

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2014, 06:34:31 PM »
Thanks everyone!  Her phone number has been blocked.  Especially because when we got back after having lunch with our youngest, Caller ID showed two hang-up calls from that number. :)

She doesn't know which timeshare we own, as it isn't the same one our friends own.  The city in Mexico is a large city with many timeshares, so it would be difficult for them to even find us by calling various resorts.

And if through some magic they did show up, the unit we rent for the four of us is a one bedroom, two bathroom unit with a maximum occupation limit of four.  We as owners are the ones who list the names of the people staying with us and no one else is even allowed into the resort unless they are on that particular list.  :)

I assume she does this sort of thing because it was worked for them in the past.  It just isn't going to work this time.  I actually feel for our friends, as they are going to have to deal with constant requests to stay with them in 2016.

Oh, and it appears that they attempted to invite themselves along on our friends trip to Seattle for a christening.  I did not know this and my friend says that she was relentless about asking even though this was a family reunion type event with them not knowing a single person there other than our friends.  :)

Possum

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2014, 06:55:39 PM »
Either no response, or a flat "I'm sorry, we cannot accommodate your request," with no further response.

How cheeky of her!

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2014, 08:23:26 PM »
Thanks everyone!  Her phone number has been blocked.  Especially because when we got back after having lunch with our youngest, Caller ID showed two hang-up calls from that number. :)

She doesn't know which timeshare we own, as it isn't the same one our friends own.  The city in Mexico is a large city with many timeshares, so it would be difficult for them to even find us by calling various resorts.

And if through some magic they did show up, the unit we rent for the four of us is a one bedroom, two bathroom unit with a maximum occupation limit of four.  We as owners are the ones who list the names of the people staying with us and no one else is even allowed into the resort unless they are on that particular list.  :)

I assume she does this sort of thing because it was worked for them in the past.  It just isn't going to work this time.  I actually feel for our friends, as they are going to have to deal with constant requests to stay with them in 2016.

Oh, and it appears that they attempted to invite themselves along on our friends trip to Seattle for a christening.  I did not know this and my friend says that she was relentless about asking even though this was a family reunion type event with them not knowing a single person there other than our friends.  :)

After reading this, chutzpah is too tame of a word for these people

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2014, 08:32:11 PM »
Yeah, those people are a piece of work (pieces of work, since there are two of them?).

If I were your other friends, I really wouldn't care to preserve the friendship, and so I'd be totally on board with either of you saying, "We are not close enough friends for the things you are asking. Don't ask again."