Author Topic: Scottish referendum (no politics please)  (Read 2125 times)

lowspark

Re: Scottish referendum (no politics please)
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 08:48:53 AM »
It came up again on NPR this morning. I was still half asleep so the entire story didn't sink in but I did hear them say that surprisingly, many people are still changing their minds back and forth. They also mentioned that anyone over 16 is eligible to vote and that 90% of eligible people have registered.

This is a very interesting event!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 10:27:35 AM »
There was quite a long article on the American CBS Sunday magazine show. PBS News Hour has also had quite a bit of coverage. 

It will be interesting to see what happens because people often change their minds once they actually have to mark a ballot. 

Arila

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 01:15:18 PM »
I seem to hear a little blurb about it every morning on the news radio. Less than ISIS, slightly more than Ukraine.

lowspark

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 01:49:01 PM »
The topic came up this morning in a meeting at work. One of the guys in the meeting (via phone) is in London this week and we were discussing how prevalent the news is there. And someone said, it would be like if Texas were voting to secede. Hmmm...  >:D ;D

lowspark

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2014, 12:20:09 PM »

Mergatroyd

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 12:22:19 PM »
It's on the Canadian news, they're hosting a panel for four or five hours tonight with coverage.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2014, 02:52:23 PM »
Well, it was decided. I was refreshing BBC.com all through my evening class last night.

I don't think it's too political to say (without discussing how anyone feels about the result itself) that it was amazing exercise of democracy. A 86% voter turnout is almost unheard of. Especially as the turnout for the last election was close to 50%.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2014, 03:22:58 PM »
Well, it was decided. I was refreshing BBC.com all through my evening class last night.

I don't think it's too political to say (without discussing how anyone feels about the result itself) that it was amazing exercise of democracy. A 86% voter turnout is almost unheard of. Especially as the turnout for the last election was close to 50%.

I found it interesting that the results were so close - the final vote was no but it was almost 50/50.

lowspark

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2014, 04:52:56 PM »
I agree! It is always fascinating and gratifying when democracy works. People disagreed, a decision was made and no blood was shed. How great is that!

veryfluffy

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2014, 05:56:39 PM »
The result was actually wider than expected, 55% No vs 45% Yes.
85% turnout.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2014, 08:20:55 AM »
I agree! It is always fascinating and gratifying when democracy works. People disagreed, a decision was made and no blood was shed. How great is that!
There are some pretty angry people though. I was thinking today that unlike an election, this decision was for keeps.

My husband was born in Scotland. He says his heart said yes, but his head said no. He couldn't vote though, as he's no longer a resident.

Victoria