News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 28, 2015, 12:28:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tipping again...  (Read 809 times)

Isometric

Tipping again...
« on: February 16, 2015, 12:43:00 AM »
Sorry I know this topic has been rehashed here several times, but I couldn't find specific answers.

1. We're booked into guided tours in the USA, some are a couple of hours, some are full day. What is appropriate to tip the guide/driver? From internet research I've read from $1 to 20% of tour cost... Do we tip as a couple, of individually?

2. At hotels were breakfast is provided within the room fee, do you leave a tip for the person who clears your plates?

Thanks!!  :)

Kiwipinball

Re: Tipping again...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 12:57:29 AM »
I'm not sure about the guided tours. The longer the trip, probably the bigger the tip. Check and see if the company has any policy.

As to breakfast - is this a sit-down served breakfast? Continental breakfast? Every time I've stayed at a hotel with a breakfast, it's been continental and we bussed our own dishes (into a communal collection area or trash if paper) and did not leave tips, but I do not stay at 5 star hotels, where things are fancier and tipping rules might be different.

NFPwife

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 01:10:30 AM »
For guided tours, I tip based on the quality of the tour. I've had a couple very bad tour experiences and didn't tip at all. We do one tip that covers DH and me, up to 20% of what we spent on the full tour. From what I've observed, people tend to tip a few bucks (regardless of tour cost) to about 10%. I had a snorkel cruise where the guides took us out to see whales and dolphins and then took back us in to snorkel. I tipped them a bit more than 20% because they went above and beyond.

For breakfast, if it's a continental breakfast and I get my own food and clean up after myself, I don't tip. If someone gets me something special or displays really great service, I tip a few dollars.

If someone takes even part of my order, I tip. For instance, if there's a buffet, but you order your eggs or your beverages.

Here's a place I differ from some - if I have to call the desk to fix an error in the room e.g. there's no hairdryer, the remote needs batteries, there's no shampoo in the bathroom (once I had three conditioners and no shampoo,) I don't tip the person who brings whatever is needed to correct the error. Maybe I'm just a grump, but I'm not "rewarding" someone for restoring what should have been there in the first place. However, if someone brings extra towels, extra coffee, extra shampoo, I'll tip.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 03:59:35 AM »
For something like a 3 or 4 hour circle tour of Oahu I'd tip $5 a person. If the guide is outstanding I'd throw in a couple of extra bucks; the guide we had to Muir Woods definitely got good tips from my dad and me.

For something like a multi-day  guided tour (like you find at Caravan.com) the prospectus should give a ballpark idea.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 08:15:14 PM »
I like the $5 a person. And I agree that most hotel breakfasts are get your own, clean up after yourself. I might tip a dollar or two if I needed them to get out more ___________ for me.

DavidH

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
First off, check to see if tips are included, particularly for breakfast.  For a buffet where you get your own meal and beverages, no tip is needed.  If they serve beverages, but you get your own food, I'd tip 10-15% in general, so assume $2-4 per person.  For a breakfast where you ordered from a server, it's likely included, but if not, 15-20% based on the prices on the menu, or the total on the bill if you have a voucher that covers the meal, but not the tip. 

For a guided tour, I'd say one tip for your group, 10-20% depending on the price of the tour.  I'd put a lower limit of ~$5 per person and I can't imagine more than $20 per person per day, no matter how expensive it was.  I'd add that for $20 it would have had to be a spectacular tour with a small number of participants where the person went way above and beyond, say a full day of 4-6 people that was just amazing. 

AnnaJ

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 09:34:16 PM »
The tour company I used last year included tips for their regular guides in their prices, which made life simpler.  A couple of times local guides did short tours, and most people tipped them a couple of dollars.

I'd check to see if the breakfast tips are included; if not, my tip would depend on what the waitstaff does for your - is it a buffet, do they bring drinks, do they take an order and deliver? 

Isometric

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 10:49:22 PM »
Thanks everyone for your advice!

;D

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 11:49:15 PM »
Sorry I know this topic has been rehashed here several times, but I couldn't find specific answers.

1. We're booked into guided tours in the USA, some are a couple of hours, some are full day. What is appropriate to tip the guide/driver? From internet research I've read from $1 to 20% of tour cost... Do we tip as a couple, of individually? Your tip for the cost of the tour, not per person. 10% of the cost. # of people doesn't matter. That will work out in your original payment. If the guide is not good, 5%.

2. At hotels were breakfast is provided within the room fee, do you leave a tip for the person who clears your plates? You do not tip for the included breakfast, but always clean up after yourself. Someone  else will come along later to sanitize. If you are not sure about that cleanliness, wipe your own area with a sanitizing wipe.

I try tip the prople who clean the room. If it is really icky when it move in, I leave a note about the ickyness - yes, I do that. I always carry wipes and vinegar spray for things I worry about. If the room is fine, I tip $5 for the first night then $2 for each following night. If it is a $40 per night or $120 per night, there is essentially the same amount of work for them.

5% if you really don't have a clue how to tip.

Thanks!!  :)

Enjoy your trip, and don't overthink or fret about anything. I know that I over/under tip often, but it all evens out.