News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 25, 2015, 12:24:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do you have an electric kettle?  (Read 25735 times)

Lindee

Re: Do you have an electric kettle?
« Reply #270 on: February 08, 2015, 04:27:43 PM »
Aussi here - I love my transparent glass kettle with the blue LED lights when it is on. I can see the water boiling.

Browyn

« Reply #271 on: February 08, 2015, 06:57:11 PM »
NYC USA.

I have never even seen an electric kettle (not in stores, not at the homes of friends or relatives) in real life. The only place I've ever seen or heard or heard of them on from British TV shows. I just can't imagine anyone boiling so much water to be poured that one would need a device that only does that. In every home I know they simply use a pot on the stove for boiling or if there is a lot of tea drinking in the home maybe a stovetop kettle.

Rhode Island here, grew up in Massachusetts.  I have never seen one.  Have always had a stovetop tea kettle and a separate coffee maker.  I did have a hot pot in college for doing things like make soup.  Is a electric kettle like a hot pot? 

katycoo

« Reply #272 on: February 09, 2015, 10:51:25 PM »
NYC USA.

I have never even seen an electric kettle (not in stores, not at the homes of friends or relatives) in real life. The only place I've ever seen or heard or heard of them on from British TV shows. I just can't imagine anyone boiling so much water to be poured that one would need a device that only does that. In every home I know they simply use a pot on the stove for boiling or if there is a lot of tea drinking in the home maybe a stovetop kettle.

Rhode Island here, grew up in Massachusetts.  I have never seen one.  Have always had a stovetop tea kettle and a separate coffee maker.  I did have a hot pot in college for doing things like make soup.  Is a electric kettle like a hot pot? 

Ish.  A kettle has a spout.

Mustard

« Reply #273 on: February 10, 2015, 12:36:12 PM »
I've just bought a new kettle because the spout was useless; I don't know what the yellow thing is, but I wouldn't call it a kettle!  What is noteworthy, for someone from the U.K., is the plug on it.  U.K. plugs are three-pronged, and chunky.  And never used in a bathroom; apparently we Brits are not to be trusted with electrical appliances in the bathroom, other than electric razors which have a special socket.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #274 on: February 11, 2015, 04:21:06 PM »
I thought you all might find this interesting

http://www.cnet.com/news/this-crazy-kettle-heats-only-the-water-you-need/#ftag=CAD590a51e

According to the article

A 2013 report found, in the UK alone, 68 million was being wasted every year from one single factor: overfilling kettles.

So this system heats a single cup through induction.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

veryfluffy

« Reply #275 on: February 11, 2015, 05:36:58 PM »
68 million? That is only about 3 per household. Doesn't seem like spending 80 on a hot water system would save anything over your lifetime. And you still need a kettle to fill up your hot water bottle.