Author Topic: Some like it hot  (Read 2130 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: Some like it hot
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2014, 12:22:46 PM »
People of means in Dallas used to go to Colorado Springs for the summer - more precisely, ladies of means and their children would go, while the menfolk would stay in town to do bidness*.

I used to read the old papers (pre-1920s) as part of my job. The social columns each summer and fall would be full of "Mrs. So-and-so has left for/returned from Colorado Springs."

*that's how it's pronounced in these here parts.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: Some like it hot
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2014, 12:41:20 PM »
Last year we were in the Caribbean during February.  The weather was comfortably warms for people who normally live in the northern US or Canada.  We visitors were enjoying the beach in shorts and flip-flops.    A local employee at a beach bar was wearing a rather thick sweatshirt.  It was a souvenir from Alaska. 

It's all a matter of what you're used to.

A friend of mine was drafted during Vietnam.  We're from Texas and on the way over he thought Hawaii was 'a little chilly'.  When they got off the plane in Vietnam he said it was like walking into an oven.  He was one of the first batch sent home and the first night they broke into where the supplies were kept to get a few wool blankets because they were freezing.  It was normal Hawaii temp.