Author Topic: Things you love from other countries...  (Read 5959 times)

Gwywnnydd

Re: Things you love from other countries...
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »
I love Ambre Solaire sun screen. Can't get it in either the US or Canada. Only in Europe/UK.

BarensMom

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2014, 11:31:11 PM »
I want one of these:  http://www.amazon.com/Kotatsu-Blanket-120×80cm-xFF09-2-4person/dp/B009LDQBL4/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1405222100&sr=8-14&keywords=kotatsu+heater

It just seems like a great thing to sit under when watching TV during cold winter nights.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2014, 05:25:35 PM »
http://www.germandeli.com/Ferrero-Kinder-Happy-Hippo-5-Pack-Milk-Hazelnut-Cream.html?gclid=CNGOj7ft2b8CFUwV7Aod8k8AGgp

Hippos! Our SNCO bought a case of them in Germany when we were crossing the pond on our last trip. He saved some to hand out for Christmas.... I may PCS to Germany just to eat these everyday.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2014, 05:28:24 AM »
I've seen Hippos at Costplus World Market.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2014, 06:26:11 AM »
PG Tips tea.  Fortunately I can get it through Amazon.

Coralreef

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2014, 10:36:59 AM »
In Japan, I loved a little bird-shaped pastry called Kotori.  I also miss yuzu flavoured everything, but mostly the candies and juice.  The udon bowls were also delicious.  Good thing I love to cook!

From France, it was the crème brulée.  I make my own now, but darn that one was heavenly.

[/right

magicdomino

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2014, 11:43:18 AM »
Chicha morada (sp?) from Peru.  It's made from blue corn with a little fruit juice and sugar. Sort of like a mildly fizzy grape soda.

Snooks

« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2014, 10:51:50 AM »
Ghirardelli hot chocolate.

Pop Tarts, we can get them but they're super expensive which means they become a treat rather than something to keep in the house to satisfy a junk food craving.

Tini

« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2014, 01:54:45 PM »
Crumpets. I can make my own, but it's one heck of a learning process. I must have made ten dozen before they were really right. Sometimes, I'd just like to be able to pop down to the supermarket and pick up six instead of spending half a day to make 36.

Double cream. Crème double as they sell it in Germany is just not the same. And single cream? They've never even heard of it over here.

Rachel

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2014, 07:57:04 AM »
clothes shopping in Australia.  I'm about 6 foot tall so I have to go to speciality shops in the UK but in Oz I could buy clothes in normal shops, it felt heavenly to not feel so different.  Also, shoes.

Cyradis

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2014, 04:31:29 PM »
Jersey Milk chocolates from Canada. One of my aunts would bring them every July and send packages at Christmas. She'd also send these chocolate cookies with chocolate chips and nuts in them. I can't recall the brand, alas.

Cachapas from Venezuela. I can make them but it's not quite the same.

Café con leche for breakfast and limonada later in the heat of the day. It might be time to pay my Venezuelan cousins a visit.

American college town coffee shops. I miss sitting with a real cup, listening to a band or open mic. It was especially nice during fall with a gingerbread latte.

Bookstores. We just don't seem to do them as well here and we don't have many second hand ones. On the return leg of a trip to London and Perth many years ago I was almost over my luggage weight limit because I bought so many books.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2014, 05:02:11 PM »
And I just found a grocery store that has Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Killer expensive, of course, and not always available but oh, so good!

Snooks

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2014, 02:25:27 PM »
Vanilla Tootsie Rolls. I don't like the chocolate ones at all but the vanilla ones are amazing.

Arila

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2014, 02:27:56 PM »
I was really worried when DH got here from the UK that he would get homesick for his favorite foods. Fortunately, we found a grocery store in an upper scale area of the city which has an international section. One FULL aisle (just one side, not both sides) of imported from the UK stuff. So, PG tips, marmite, "proper" marmelade, etc.

The only thing that's missing is bacon. Seriously, the bacon in the UK is so much better why isn't it even an option here!!!!! I just don't get it.

z_squared82

« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2014, 02:48:40 PM »
Kinder Eggs and Sweet Thai Chili crisps from Walker's. I think I got the crisps/potato chips here, but I don't remember if they were as good.

The Cadbury chocolate on this side of the Atlantic is made by Hershey's and it's just too sweet.