Author Topic: Things you love from other countries...  (Read 4343 times)

melbelle39

Things you love from other countries...
« on: June 14, 2014, 07:03:48 AM »
To avoid hijacking another thread... What do you love that you can only get in another country?

I have an addiction to green tea kit kats from Japan, my husband was stationed there for six months and we got hooked.  They are crazy expensive to buy online so I usually just give anyone I know visiting Japan $100 and ask them to bring me back as many as they can

I've been sending Tim Tams and Golden Syrup to friends in the UK and USA respectively for years (mostly golden syrup to expats who want to make Anzac biscuits)

Also - girl scout cookies... Thin Mints!

demarco

Re: Things you love from other countries...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 07:22:02 AM »
Violet crumble. Used to be able to buy it at a local (US) supermarket but not any more.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 07:27:17 AM »
Cadbury Flake Bars  ;D

Which is kind of funny since I don't care for chocolate, especially milk chocolate.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 08:35:37 AM »
The one Food item I can't seem to get here is Crystal light ( or any other brand). Foir other items it's not t so much I *can't* get them, its that they're harder to find - ice, ice coffee ( here that ususally refers to overly sweetened and fake flavored slush), donuts and bagels.

Non food items - I find it very hard to shop for clothing. The styles most commonly offered for larger sizes are tunic/mumu/tent styles ( and even women who aren't plkus size seem to prefer the big flowy outfits, and then if I dfo find something that fits, it costs four times what I would pay in the US

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Nibsey

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »
Yorkshire Tea and Asda's hummus from the UK.

Smiths cheese and onion crisps and barramundi from Australia.

Entemann's products from the States.

My ex roommate use to bring back peach schnapps which was made in his home in Slovakia which was strong but delicious.

“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 09:11:57 AM »
Clotted cream. When I lived in Connecticut, I could drive 45 minutes to a tea shop run by a British expat who somehow managed to get clotted cream. You could have a cream tea there, or buy some clotted cream to take home. (Or both.  >:D) Now I don't live there any more and clotted cream is but a distant memory.

And milk chocolate digestive biscuits. My sister misses Hob Nobs. You can find both occasionally in supermarkets, but they are so expensive that we save them for birthday presents.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

BigBadBetty

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 09:12:20 AM »
I wish I could have squacquerone cheese and arugula (rocket) pizzas from the Emilia Romagna region of Italy. The cheese is fresh so it wouldn't last for export. I also loved the "French"-style bread from Germany. (Yes, I know how dumb that sounds.) You can find good bread like that in the U.S., but you have to search it out. When I was in Germany, it was everywhere.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 09:58:43 AM »
And I also love pret a manger. It's not that it's the best chain in the universe, and it's not that one can't find great sandwiches and souip elsewhere but I just love that chain

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 10:31:10 AM »
Salt and Vinegar chips that aren't cooked in peanut oil. Got hooked the summer of 76 in Canada. There is only one brand that I have found in the US. It can only found in a few convenience stores and keeps disappearing. 
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 11:26:59 AM »
Salt and Vinegar chips that aren't cooked in peanut oil. Got hooked the summer of 76 in Canada. There is only one brand that I have found in the US. It can only found in a few convenience stores and keeps disappearing.

Snyder of Berlin makes a great salt and vinegar chip,  IMO.   They are peanut oil free and you can order them online directly from them.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Promise

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 11:29:01 AM »
I love the Brasilian pop Guarana. You can sometimes find it here in a specialty store, but you have to search. LOVE IT!

Promise

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 11:33:35 AM »
Clotted cream. When I lived in Connecticut, I could drive 45 minutes to a tea shop run by a British expat who somehow managed to get clotted cream. You could have a cream tea there, or buy some clotted cream to take home. (Or both.  >:D) Now I don't live there any more and clotted cream is but a distant memory.

And milk chocolate digestive biscuits. My sister misses Hob Nobs. You can find both occasionally in supermarkets, but they are so expensive that we save them for birthday presents.

Petty simple way to make it here. http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2009/09/clotted-cream-recipe-making-clotted.html

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »

Snyder of Berlin makes a great salt and vinegar chip,  IMO.   They are peanut oil free and you can order them online directly from them.

Utz chips are also peanut free.  The Lays chips also seem to be peanut free

Octavia

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 06:55:16 PM »
Ketchup-flavored potato chips from Canada. Yum  ;D
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 08:38:54 PM »
Scampi Fries.  Brought back about 20 snack bags of it the last time I was in London.  That was so long ago I have no idea if they're still being made.