Author Topic: Things you love from other countries...  (Read 4442 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: Things you love from other countries...
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 10:19:16 PM »
I love the Brasilian pop Guarana. You can sometimes find it here in a specialty store, but you have to search. LOVE IT!

I usually take several bottles to give to people whenever I am in the US :)

I second the Flake bar and the Girl Scout Cookies. I add Stash tea, rum butter and Guatemalan green pepper sauce.

Library Dragon

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 11:09:41 PM »
On every trip to Italy I bring back panna da cucina. It is thicker than whipping cream and is not sweet. It is thicker than heavy cream, with a consistency between that of heavy cream and sour cream. I've had food purists turn up their noses at this, but it is the best for tortellini alla panna.

Bigoli pasta.  It's a buckwheat or whole wheat pasta similar to bucatini, but not as thick.  Just a bit thicker than spaghetti, but with a whole in the center.  It's excellent for thick sauces.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 11:41:00 PM »
I bring back so many lollies and chocolates from both New Zealand and the UK that's it's a wonder the customs officials don't ask me if I have an import license. :P Thankfully my favourite NZ biscuits, Mallowpuffs, are now available in Australia.

DH and I love Denny's restaurants in the US.  We just don't have anything like it here in Australia so we always make a beeline for it when we visit the US (and NZ, as they have it there now. They just need to come across the ditch too...).  We always visit the one opposite Disneyland and can't wait to eat there again during our visit later this year.  :D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:12:02 AM by sammycat »

melbelle39

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 01:53:23 AM »
Ca you get Caramello Koala's outside of Aus yet? When we travelled more for work they were our standard "favour treat" that we gave to people who helped us... and we always and a list of people to mail them to when we returned.

A goodly proportion of aussies rely on the internet to buy clothes, books, shoes, everything really, from the US and the UK - the product range and price is so much better than here. 
Our retailers are trying to add GST (10%) to such purchases to discourage us, but even it it happens (hopefully not) its still not going to be effective as the price difference is usually in the range of 60%+

eg - I buy a type of running shoe that usually costs around $260-$320 a pair in my local sports store.  I just bought two pairs from a US retailer - with shipping, the total cost for two pairs was $210

US and Uk retailers love us - I think the UK retailer ASOS sends the equivalent of two airliners a day worth of orders to australian companies

We are also desperate to access services like Hulu and Netflix because our TV networks are terrible about screening TV shows that come from overseas and with the explosion of twitter etc, its hard to remain unspoiled... I think something like 200,000 australians have monthly subscriptions to online services that mask their ISP so they can subscribe to netflix and hulu... those companies know, but they're happy to get the extra custom.  I think the total cost for a VPN blocker, netflix and hulu account is about $20 a month, whereas similar services in Australia (that have much less variety and are still slow to screen new shows) cost upward of $80 a month.

Someone mentioned schnapps - an austrian friend imports the most amazing flavours of schnapps in for his restaurant, he swears they cure all ills - maybe its just that after a few shots everything seems much better!

Redsoil

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 02:45:32 AM »
The cheese, and venison in NZ!  Just awesome.  :)
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 06:36:21 AM »
Scampi Fries.  Brought back about 20 snack bags of it the last time I was in London.  That was so long ago I have no idea if they're still being made.

They are!

Maple sugar candies- you can get maple syrup here, but not the candies.
NE England

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 06:45:12 AM »
Venezuela's Savoy chocolates. Especially the Torontos.

Violet Crumbles.

The excellent sugar free chocolates I found in Germany.

Salmiakki.

Fazer Pihlaja.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 09:33:49 AM »
I love Junior Mints and Thrree Musketeers bars. You can buy them at our green grocer/deli

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 12:03:55 PM »
Barcelona is a source of food that I can't easily find in NYC.  There's a green plum jam that I first encountered in 1972 on Palma de Majorca.   It's a bit loose and it's tart but it's delicious and it's readily available in any Super-Mercado.  We always bring home a few jars.   

Barcelona is also the source of a version of Torrone and excellent chocolate.  When I brought a few large bars of the candy to the office, it was gone by lunch time.  We load up on those candies too. 

Marks and Spencer has a bra that's just right for me. When our travels take us to the UK or Bermuda,  I make a bee-line to pick up a few.         

It's pathetic, I know.  We go to Bermuda to buy underwear.  We go to Spain for candy and jam.  We can get these thing on-line but the fun of going to the place makes a good excuse to travel abroad.   

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 03:39:24 PM »
McVitie's ginger nuts and Cadbury drinking chocolate.   I used to miss blood oranges, but now we're starting to see them here in the US.

When we were stationed in Italy, we had friends who adamantly refused to eat local foods.  "We might like them, and then be sad when we went back home and couldn't get them."   ??? I confess to being absolutely baffled by this attitude. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Library Dragon

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 12:16:27 AM »
McVitie's ginger nuts and Cadbury drinking chocolate.   I used to miss blood oranges, but now we're starting to see them here in the US.

When we were stationed in Italy, we had friends who adamantly refused to eat local foods.  "We might like them, and then be sad when we went back home and couldn't get them."   ??? I confess to being absolutely baffled by this attitude.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

padua

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 12:55:55 AM »
Almdudler. Milka's school und keks. Plum dumplings.

And from Hawaii- coconut filed doughnuts and authentic shaved ice.

Smulkin

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 06:08:06 AM »
 Seconding Almdudler. And I need a good reliable recipe for the days when I'd sell *all my hair* for Punschkrapfen.

I've been sending Tim Tams and Golden Syrup to friends in the UK and USA respectively for years (mostly golden syrup to expats who want to make Anzac biscuits)

Golden syrup is very common in the UK; is this a specific brand or unusual variety you're sending?

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2014, 07:58:25 AM »
Party Rings, cookies from the UK.  Can't get them in Canada :(
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2014, 08:44:26 AM »
For your viewing pleasure, John Barrowman doing a Tim Tam slam.

https://www.facebook.com/TheDoctorWhoHub/posts/811955012170737