Author Topic: Another parking question: What would Ehell do?  (Read 4870 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Another parking question: What would Ehell do?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »

He, on the other hand, liked to sit in the space we were already in and eat rather than move the car maybe a hundred feet around the corner which took literally ten or fifteen seconds.

What would EHell do in this situation?

We wouldn't even drive around waiting for a space but just park anywhere. Our lot is 100 feet wide, so I know how short that is, and even three times that much isn't far to carry a couple of meals. We eat in, anyway, but that is certainly your choice, as is driving around waiting for a better spot.

I am assuming that since you were car booting, the weather was OK to walk around in, and even if you were handicapped at that point, the boyfriend could have made the run.

As for rude or not to occupy the space, I don't see how it could be. I would be considerate to move, but not really a big deal.  It was Sunday mornings, so I would be surprised if the other shops were open - but maybe that's my smalltown, midwest US thinking here  :)

perpetua

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 12:34:07 PM »
No, the other shops weren't open (I was just about to come back to post this!) so most of the people circling were looking for a space for McDs, which makes it even more inconsiderate to me.

I meant 100m, not feet. You're right, that's ridiculously short.

kckgirl

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »
I actually don't think your xh did anything wrong.

Around the corner, not far away at all but far enough that you wouldn't want to walk it with two hands' full of Maccy D's and a drinks tray, was a street with completely unlimited parking which was always empty.

I thought it was very inconsiderate to sit there taking up a space that someone else clearly needed, when we could have moved the car literally a couple of hundred feet around the corner before we started eating.

If it's literally a couple of hundred feet around the corner to plentiful parking, that's not far at all. People who want to go into the McDonalds don't need to park directly in front of it to do so, and parking around the corner isn't a big deal, so using a spot on the same street is perfectly fine, and I wouldn't even call it inconsiderate.
Maryland

perpetua

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 12:36:39 PM »
I actually don't think your xh did anything wrong.

Around the corner, not far away at all but far enough that you wouldn't want to walk it with two hands' full of Maccy D's and a drinks tray, was a street with completely unlimited parking which was always empty.

I thought it was very inconsiderate to sit there taking up a space that someone else clearly needed, when we could have moved the car literally a couple of hundred feet around the corner before we started eating.

If it's literally a couple of hundred feet around the corner to plentiful parking, that's not far at all. People who want to go into the McDonalds don't need to park directly in front of it to do so, and parking around the corner isn't a big deal, so using a spot on the same street is perfectly fine, and I wouldn't even call it inconsiderate.

I corrected that above, our posts crossed.

kckgirl

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 12:38:38 PM »
100 feet or 100 meters...my answer is the same. Not inconsiderate. Not rude.
Maryland

perpetua

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
100 feet or 100 meters...my answer is the same. Not inconsiderate. Not rude.

How strange.

I consider sitting somewhere taking your own sweet time over something while other people are in need of the space you're occupying to be very rude, but perhaps it's our old friend cultural difference again. It's like people who deliberately dawdle across the road instead of crossing at a decent pace (when they're able to, of course; you know the kind I mean) just so they can make the traffic wait.

He was also really belligerent about it. He was doing it purely because he could, not because he necessarily wanted to be in that space for any reason, and made that very clear.

kckgirl

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 12:49:10 PM »
The problem for me is that the other people don't "need" the space. There is plentiful parking just around the corner, as you said. Having a bag of food and a drink tray doesn't make it inconvenient to walk 100m. If those nearby spaces weren't there, my answer would be different.
Maryland

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 12:57:14 PM »
Yeah, that makes total sense.

I'm really unsure about the petrol station example. It is a similar thing but something always stops me pulling away from the pump in case they think I'm trying to drive off without paying or something (here, you go into the shop to pay *after* you've pumped the petrol. There are some places that you pay by card at the pump but it's not usual). Plus I'm not sure if anyone else can start pumping until you've paid for it and it's 'cleared' anyway.

Here most places have you pay at the pump, but not all. I don't fault people for sticking around if they have to go inside and pay, I only meant for the pumps that let you swipe a card and pay immediately, so that when you put the gas nozzle back into the pump, you're done and free to leave. When I've been at the "pay inside" places there's always a line to pay anyway, so I don't see a problem with grabbing a snack or a drink before I get in line. It only makes a difference of about 30 seconds.

In my small hometown the rule is actually that you have to go in first and put money down, then go out and pump, then go back in to get your receipt and change (if you didn't need as much as you pre-paid for). You can't start the transaction until you're parked in front of a pump (because you have to tell them which pump you'll be on so they know which one to credit), and you can't pull away until you've paid because, as you said, the pump won't work for the next customer until you've paid anyway. It's a complete hassle and there's always a line of people waiting to pull up to the gas pump, but I fault the store 100% because the customers have no choice.

Sorry to derail a bit there  :P

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 01:46:36 PM »
I did say 100 ft or three times that much, so you've still got a little over  l/3 of football field (US) there. No big thing by our standards unless you are injured or ill. If you were going to a car boot sale, you'll be walking a lot farther than that!

So, I'd still just walk it in reasonably nice weather with carryout. Or don't make a big deal out of doing what you want.

perpetua

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 02:24:49 PM »
I did say 100 ft or three times that much, so you've still got a little over  l/3 of football field (US) there. No big thing by our standards unless you are injured or ill. If you were going to a car boot sale, you'll be walking a lot farther than that!

So, I'd still just walk it in reasonably nice weather with carryout. Or don't make a big deal out of doing what you want.

I'm really not sure why you keep arguing about how far I (or he actually, since it was usually him who went in to get the food) wanted to walk, Luci45. That wasn't the question I asked and I'm really not prepared to justify that. The question I asked is 'is it inconsiderate to take up a parking space that other people need/want when you don't need to be there'.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2014, 02:30:02 PM »
OK, my "Excuse Me For Living" warning light is blinking.

If you were parked in the lot,  you're entitled to eat in the restaurant and leave your car taking up a parking space.

You were parked on a  nearby street--but you're still entitled to use your parking space for the time that you spent wherever it was you were going.

In your case you didn't stay at your destination--but you are still entitled to that parking space. You do not have to drive around looking for -yet another- parking space to eat in while your food is getting cold, etc.
I'm with your dining companion--sitting in the car while you eat is totally your right. You could sit in that parking space for *any* reason.

And it might even be more efficient (in the way that doing all your bank transactions at once instead of standing in line multiple times is more efficient, in terms of total impact on -all- other people).

I think insisting that he move the car to another parking space was unreasonable. you should have stayed put, and driven off once.

I think he was belligerent because he knew you were wrong.

You seem very determined to insist that you were right and he was wrong.

Once you take a parking space, it's yours until you leave it. You don't owe it to other people to inconvenience yourself in order to make life easier for them.

The question I asked is 'is it inconsiderate to take up a parking space that other people need/want when you don't need to be there'.

No, it is not.

And you and your xdh (and you and I) are having a difference of meaning on the term "need."

I would say you still need that parking space--because you need to eat. And that other people don't need that parking space, because there is one farther away.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 05:03:23 PM by TootsNYC »

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2014, 03:01:51 PM »
To Toots' last post . . . where is the "applause" emoticon? ;)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2014, 03:24:05 PM »

I'm really not sure why you keep arguing about how far I (or he actually, since it was usually him who went in to get the food) wanted to walk, Luci45. That wasn't the question I asked and I'm really not prepared to justify that. The question I asked is 'is it inconsiderate to take up a parking space that other people need/want when you don't need to be there'.

Sorry. I was just saying that I my answer remains despite the change in parameters.

Your final line in the OP was "What would EHell do in this situation?", and mine was we would do the walking.

I also said that if given that you choose to wait for a parking space, you're there so it wouldn't matter what you did there, although it is not rude, it might be a bit more considerate to move. But don't worry about it.

So I answered the questions you posed.

Sorry if I offended. I certainly didn't mean to!

Peregrine

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2014, 03:24:56 PM »
If I waited for the space, I figure I'm entitled to use it for as long as I feel I need it.  I agree with your ex-partner on this one.  It is not anyone's particular right to get a parking space right in front of a business, and they could have parked around the corner if they want to stop and get an Egg Mcmuffin. 

Parking is always first come first served unless there is signage saying otherwise.   It is always frustrating for me to return to my car and have people idling impatiently and gesturing at me while I'm trying to strap in my child and get my purchases loaded up.  Never mind the person that got mad at me and laid on their horn while I retired to my car to breast feed my child when I was on a major shopping trip....He was trying to sneak into mall parking to get out of paying stadium parking fees (illegally).  I'm pretty sure he was the one that keyed my car when I explained I wasn't actually leaving my space at that time.  :-[

bonyk

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2014, 03:32:26 PM »
I wouldn't move the car to eat.  I waited for the spot; it's mine until I'm done with it.  There's plenty of parking around the corner people can use if they don't want to wait.