Author Topic: No-Tipping Policy In Restaurant  (Read 6739 times)

amylouky

Re: No-Tipping Policy In Restaurant
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2014, 12:40:31 PM »
You might not but people like me would.  I can be polite and attentive, but not warm or perky.  I'd rather a lower steady wage and less stress than having to be an underpaid actress.

Fair point. I guess I was thinking of flat rate as opposed to this restaurant's $10 or 20% policy, not compared to the current tip culture. I agree, you shouldn't have to be an actress to get a decent wage. But I wouldn't like being the one scheduled for the busy shifts, when those who worked less busy shifts got the same pay I did, with no extra incentive. I guess that would be a management thing though, to make sure the busy shifts were evenly spread out.

Allyson

« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2014, 02:23:45 PM »

Fair point. I guess I was thinking of flat rate as opposed to this restaurant's $10 or 20% policy, not compared to the current tip culture. I agree, you shouldn't have to be an actress to get a decent wage. But I wouldn't like being the one scheduled for the busy shifts, when those who worked less busy shifts got the same pay I did, with no extra incentive. I guess that would be a management thing though, to make sure the busy shifts were evenly spread out.

Well, there are a lot of jobs where certain shifts are way busier than others, and tipping isn't really a thing, aren't there? Also some people prefer working busy shifts because they tend to go by way faster than when it's slow...so I think yeah, that would be a management thing that nobody hates the shifts they are working.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2014, 03:32:55 PM »
You might not but people like me would.  I can be polite and attentive, but not warm or perky.  I'd rather a lower steady wage and less stress than having to be an underpaid actress.

On the other hand, on a system where the waiter depends on tips, being scheduled for the less busy shift might mean not earning enough to cover the bills.

Having peak times and down times does make scheduling difficult but, once again, it is hardly something exclusive to the restaurant business. For example, how do stores manage to keep their staff happy when they also have very busy shifts and others that aren't as busy?

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2014, 09:03:58 PM »
One nice thing about the tip system, is that it is OK to do your own thing when it wasn't busy.  For example, I never minded working Sundays.  They were usually slow, but I brought in my school books.  I would study in the side room in between waiting tables.  And, really, I made enough money that I didn't particularly worry about an occasional slow period.  This was back in the very late-80's to early 90's.  In a 4-hour evening shift I made $60 - $100.  Sundays I might make $30 - $50.  That was a full day but they fed me spaghetti and cheesy garlic bread and I got a lot of homework done.  Lunch was even more lucrative, but I wasn't fast enough to handle it. 

I say this because I get the impression that some people feel sorry for the abused waitstaff out there.  When, it is good, desirable job for someone that is unskilled but eager.  The only reason I stopped was that it made my RLS worse and I was having trouble sleeping. 

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2014, 09:26:27 PM »
Actually, I think we feel empathy for abused waitstaff because a lot of us have been there. I don't know where you worked where you were allowed to study instead of clean during slow times, but you got super lucky.
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson