Author Topic: No-Tipping Policy In Restaurant  (Read 10478 times)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: No-Tipping Policy In Restaurant
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2014, 09:03:58 PM »
One nice thing about the tip system, is that it is OK to do your own thing when it wasn't busy.  For example, I never minded working Sundays.  They were usually slow, but I brought in my school books.  I would study in the side room in between waiting tables.  And, really, I made enough money that I didn't particularly worry about an occasional slow period.  This was back in the very late-80's to early 90's.  In a 4-hour evening shift I made $60 - $100.  Sundays I might make $30 - $50.  That was a full day but they fed me spaghetti and cheesy garlic bread and I got a lot of homework done.  Lunch was even more lucrative, but I wasn't fast enough to handle it. 

I say this because I get the impression that some people feel sorry for the abused waitstaff out there.  When, it is good, desirable job for someone that is unskilled but eager.  The only reason I stopped was that it made my RLS worse and I was having trouble sleeping. 

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2014, 04:32:34 PM »
A new restaurant is opening with this policy, in a bigger city. http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/10/02/3574990/girard-tips-wage-benefits/

Fleur

« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2014, 05:05:42 PM »
One nice thing about the tip system, is that it is OK to do your own thing when it wasn't busy.  For example, I never minded working Sundays.  They were usually slow, but I brought in my school books.  I would study in the side room in between waiting tables.  And, really, I made enough money that I didn't particularly worry about an occasional slow period.  This was back in the very late-80's to early 90's.  In a 4-hour evening shift I made $60 - $100.  Sundays I might make $30 - $50.  That was a full day but they fed me spaghetti and cheesy garlic bread and I got a lot of homework done.  Lunch was even more lucrative, but I wasn't fast enough to handle it. 

I say this because I get the impression that some people feel sorry for the abused waitstaff out there.  When, it is good, desirable job for someone that is unskilled but eager.  The only reason I stopped was that it made my RLS worse and I was having trouble sleeping.

POD. And snap! I'm in England, so tipping isn't an option, but back in my student days I worked in a little 'caff' and I was allowed to read in down periods. I sometimes did get cash tips, as well, but luckily I didn't have to rely on them for the bulk of my income. They were just a nice extra (I was lucky in that I got paid more than the minimum wage)

cross_patch

« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2014, 06:21:46 PM »

POD. And snap! I'm in England, so tipping isn't an option, but back in my student days I worked in a little 'caff' and I was allowed to read in down periods. I sometimes did get cash tips, as well, but luckily I didn't have to rely on them for the bulk of my income. They were just a nice extra (I was lucky in that I got paid more than the minimum wage)

This is not even slightly the norm. I have never worked anywhere where I could do my homework, and I have worked heaps of hospitality jobs. If you weren't running tables or serving or clearing you were cleaning, or polishing glasses, or rolling cutlery or washing up.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2014, 09:56:01 AM »
$10 or 20 percent of hourly food sales - makes me wonder if waitstaff might be tempted to hurry one table along in order to seat the next family and sell them more food.
Well, technically, giving tips would have the same effect.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2014, 10:00:16 AM »
$10 or 20 percent of hourly food sales - makes me wonder if waitstaff might be tempted to hurry one table along in order to seat the next family and sell them more food.
Well, technically, giving tips would have the same effect.

People who felt rushed against their will would likely tip poorly.

SingActDance

• You don't know me, but I'm famous.
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2014, 10:05:09 AM »

This is not even slightly the norm. I have never worked anywhere where I could do my homework, and I have worked heaps of hospitality jobs. If you weren't running tables or serving or clearing you were cleaning, or polishing glasses, or rolling cutlery or washing up.

Very true. My SO worked in restaurants/catering for years. He still uses the phrase, "If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean."
Most people look at musical theatre and think "Why are those people singing and dancing in the street?" I'm sort of the opposite. I see a street full of people and think, "Why aren't they?"

LisyLoo

« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2014, 04:29:34 PM »
I'm coming in a bit late to this topic. I like the living wage. I was a waitress for many years, had some wonderful customers. I also had customers who would treat you like their personal slave. make extra requests, run you all over the place and then leave  your table an absolute disaster. These are the people who would either not tip or leave a tract behind explaining that you are going to h#ll unless you follow their beliefs.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2014, 01:03:53 PM »

Very true. My SO worked in restaurants/catering for years. He still uses the phrase, "If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean."

Jumping on to say that I agree with the last couple of comments. I was a server in high school and college. Even on a slow night, we had work to do. Idle time was not even in our vocabulary.