General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Help phrasing an email

<< < (5/5)

CrazyDaffodilLady:
You've made her aware that there's a problem.  If she doesn't write back and the situation continues, I'd start escalating up to the point of contacting the service provider. Some of the places incorrectly mailing you could pass your email address to others, and you could wind up getting a huge amount of spam. 

Once an obviously young girl (and a not-so-bright one) erroneously added me to her mailing list.  I was getting email I'm sure the writers wouldn't want the public to see.  I sent the girl a nice email, and she wrote back "U R a stupid b---h".   ???   At least the emails stopped.

sammycat:

--- Quote from: Perfect Circle on June 29, 2014, 05:20:30 AM ---I think as you have made her aware she has been using the wrong email address I would do nothing else, delete everything that comes to her and leave it at that. If you continue to help her out she doesn't have that much motivation to correct the problem, but if she no longer gets any of these emails, she might act an awful lot quicker.

--- End quote ---

I agree.

Lynn2000:
I agree, you gave her a chance. The only thing I might do is, one more time, forward something particularly sensitive to her and be like (a bit more bluntly), "Look, this is the kind of stuff I'm seeing that's meant for you. I suggest you make sure your contacts have the correct address, because from now on I'm going to delete these."

I have a very common name and I get the occasional email, IM, etc. meant for someone else. I also occasionally get texts meant for someone else entirely, who I guess has a similar number to mine. If it's something work-related I usually reply with, "You have the wrong Lynn Miller." If it's something related to personal business (like the airline confirmation or even from their mom), it would go in my junk mail folder and I would probably delete it without even looking at it, thinking it was regular old spam. I don't usually reply to strange texts at all.

No technology is 100% reliable and if people are having trouble contacting each other, they need to figure that out on their own. It's nice to give them a head's-up, but not required by etiquette, I don't think.

Twik:
I think we had another thread on this some years ago, where the person putting in the wrong e-mail ended up threatening  legal action against the person who had "hijacked her address". The blockheadedness of people when it comes to such things is hard to fathom.

GSNW:

--- Quote from: CrazyDaffodilLady on June 29, 2014, 07:30:47 PM ---Once an obviously young girl (and a not-so-bright one) erroneously added me to her mailing list.  I was getting email I'm sure the writers wouldn't want the public to see.  I sent the girl a nice email, and she wrote back "U R a stupid b---h".   ???   At least the emails stopped.

--- End quote ---

Haha... this happened to me once in the days of AIM.  People kept contacting me about how I had done something with someone else's boyfriend and threatening bodily harm.  The messages were sent to MyScreenName but meant for (I eventually figured out) someone with MyScreenName123.  I contacted the girl whose profile indicated she was 14 (I was 21 at the time) and her response was "change your screen name and it won't happen again now leave me alone or I'll call the cops on you." :o 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version