Author Topic: "Watch my bags!"  (Read 8261 times)

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
Re: "Watch my bags!"
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2014, 04:20:11 PM »

Well I have been sitting waiting for a flight and I have done this plenty of times.  Just because you won't do it doesn't mean others can't or won't.  I have traded the watching plenty if times with someone I habe sat beside for awhile.   

I have never heard announcements not to watch other bags.  The announcement I have heard are to report unattended bags.  If you agree to watch the aren't unattended. It is a very common practice that I don't mind doing if I feel the person is trustworthy.

Good luck getting the police to buy that if someone leaves you watching an illegal / unsafe bag & you don't know that at the time. Or the people you helped have slipped something into your bag.  :-X

That's sort of the point , you are being instructed to report an unattended bag therefore a way to avoid a bag you intend to abandon being reported is to have someone "attend" it.

AnaMaria

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2014, 05:15:54 PM »
For a mom with her hands full of kids or someone who is elderly or disabled, I might agree to keep an eye on a bag if they asked nicely.  However, the very way the woman in the OP acted was not only outright rude, but suspicious...like she's trying to make things move so fast that the OP wouldn't have time to think or say no.  From the way it ended it sounds like she was just self-entitled and etiquette impaired, but initally, I almost wondered if she didn't see a security officer approaching with a K-9 unit.  "Oh, shoot, the dog's going to sniff me out!  Quick, make it look like this bag isn't mine!"

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2014, 11:13:30 PM »
Sneaking a bomb through security just to leave it in boarding lounge?

The bag could have come from somewhere within the airport.  Security is not 100% airtight.  It is, however, stringent enough that someone who is up to no good might find it easier to exploit the weaknesses within the airport than trying to get something through the front door.

And a bomb going off in the boarding lounge can still kill and main and cause terror.  Anywhere that people queue or wait in numbers is an attractive target for terrorists.

I don't understand why anyone thinks its ok to watch a stranger's bag when there are regular announcements telling everyone specifically not to do it.  People shouldn't be so casual about something so important.

I think what the OP did was the safe thing--for all of us!

Well I have been sitting waiting for a flight and I have done this plenty of times.  Just because you won't do it doesn't mean others can't or won't.  I have traded the watching plenty if times with someone I habe sat beside for awhile.   

I have never heard announcements not to watch other bags.  The announcement I have heard are to report unattended bags.  If you agree to watch the aren't unattended.  It is a very common practice that I don't mind doing if I feel the person is trustworthy.

It's not my preference.  I'm just following the rules.  People are supposed to keep their bags with them at all times, (or with someone they know).  I don't think its wise to take charge of a stranger's bag for a number of reasons.  They could fail to return before you need to board.  They could be up to no good.  They could have contraband is a bag that you now have possession of.

It is also an old trick that someone will ask someone to watch their bags and then insist on reciprocating only to make off with their valuables.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2014, 11:37:59 PM »
I travel with a lot of carryons, usually alone, and I somehow manage to lug them to and from the toilet with me - even when I transitted through china and had a 8 hour stopover at 20 weeks pregnant!     Still, at the end of the day people make their own risk determinations. 

The only time I let somebody watch my bags or leave their own was a lady who was actually my seat companion on the inbound flight, so we had 12 hours sitting next to each other and were then found a cafe at our layover airport to camp out while waiting for our next flight.   I was pretty confident she was legit, if she had anything dodgy to put in my bag she would already have had to smuggle it through multiple security points on and off the previous flight, and if she tried to steal my stuff she wouldn't get far unless she had somehow planned ahead to jump on a different flight out of there.  We were in a transit lounge with no external access.   So she and I did both leave on occasion for quick bathroom breaks, and it was much more convenient than carting all my stuff around.   In those circumstances though we had become travelling companions by that point!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2014, 07:00:30 PM »
I'm very startled to hear people say that they've left their bags behind for long periods of time without it being remarked on!  I was traveling by myself at some point (maybe two years ago??) and I left my bag unattended for five minutes to go to the restroom.  By the time I got back, someone had already reported it, and a police officer was taking notes.  He scolded me for leaving it there, and told me in the future I could leave it with a security officer if I saw one, but barring that, it should go everywhere I go. 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2014, 11:19:38 AM »
I'm surprised that people can't take their luggage in the toilets at airports. UK airports all have large cubicles in the toilets. Maybe this is just a feature in UK airports?

Absolutely not a problem in US airports. The bathrooms are built with extra space to allow for luggage, even large suitcases.

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2014, 12:23:48 PM »
Standard response there are no bees on the planes.

...but there ARE bees at destinations and what if your checked baggage gets lost or delayed? 

My husband refuses to let our daughters fly until they get rid of the detailed scanners. 

They HAVE to let you opt out and get a pat-down.  Sometimes I think they make you wait longer just to inconvenience you, but still.  And if you're female a female agent has to do the pat-down.

I wouldn't dream of leaving my bag with a stranger anywhere, but that's because I don't trust people.  My bag stays in my sight at all times and if I doze off in the terminal the strap is wrapped around my foot or something.  The only time I watched a stranger's bag was at Port Authority Bus Terminal in 2005 and I was tired and being a polite and helpful Canadian I automatically said yes.  They were gone for about 20 minutes and I was uncomfortable the entire time.  If questioned by security I would have ditched it in a heartbeat.

Nowadays?  No way.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2014, 01:08:18 PM »
My husband refuses to let our daughters fly until they get rid of the detailed scanners. 
I flew international this summer - Copenhagen-Newark and Dulles-Copenhagen. No detailed scanners either place.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2014, 01:37:45 PM »
I flew international this summer - Copenhagen-Newark and Dulles-Copenhagen. No detailed scanners either place.

They were taken down in June/July.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/tsa-completely-removed-full-body-scanners-rep-article-1.1360143

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2014, 08:59:48 PM »

...but there ARE bees at destinations and what if your checked baggage gets lost or delayed? 

They HAVE to let you opt out and get a pat-down.  Sometimes I think they make you wait longer just to inconvenience you, but still.  And if you're female a female agent has to do the pat-down.

They do, but they also get to be as obnoxious as they like about it, and you can't do anything at risk of ending up on the no-fly list.  My husband opted out on a recent flight for work.  They *hated* him for it.  They tried to insist that he go with them into a private room for the pat-down, and he politely declined and asked them to just do it on the spot (most websites about flying recommend this, so that there are witnesses to any issues that might arise).  They called the local police on him, and he missed his flight.  Then the TSA called his office to report him.  Even if you try to remain polite, *especially* if you are a man, they hate you for opting out and doing anything counter to the flow.

menley

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2014, 06:08:06 AM »
A friend of ours flies to Israel a few times a year for business.  He has to take his suitcase to the airline a few days before his flight, so they can examine it at leisure...  No joke, no foolin', deadly serious.  I don't know what provisions they would make for a distress flight (family member dead or dying) but for business class, it's do it their way or don't fly their airline.

I've traveled to Israel and this hasn't been the case for me (and I flew on the Israeli airline). There is extensive screening at the airport for all flights to Israel, but I've never had to do anything special in advance.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2014, 02:19:46 AM »

They do, but they also get to be as obnoxious as they like about it, and you can't do anything at risk of ending up on the no-fly list.  My husband opted out on a recent flight for work.  They *hated* him for it.  They tried to insist that he go with them into a private room for the pat-down, and he politely declined and asked them to just do it on the spot (most websites about flying recommend this, so that there are witnesses to any issues that might arise).  They called the local police on him, and he missed his flight.  Then the TSA called his office to report him.  Even if you try to remain polite, *especially* if you are a man, they hate you for opting out and doing anything counter to the flow.
That sort of behaviour just makes them look like giddly little tin pot dictators on a powertrip.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)