Author Topic: "No offence, but..."  (Read 6929 times)

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
Re: "No offence, but..."
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2014, 09:01:10 PM »
I'm always bewildered when people tell me there's a strong family resemblance between my sister and I.  Our gender and our blood type are about the only things we have in common.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Allyson

« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2014, 11:13:47 PM »

Our response to "Are you two brother and sister?" would be: "Sure hope not!" followed by laughter. Too bad this was before Game of Thrones became a pop culture thing, we could have made some excellent Lannister jokes.

I know someone who made just that joke, when she was asked that question about her new boyfriend. She said "no, that would be bad....Lannister bad!" so now the phrase "Lannister bad" has become a thing. :D

Aquamarine

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »
I love how people say "No offense, but" right before they say something that is almost guaranteed to give offense.  If you need to use that phrase as a prelude to what you were going to say then perhaps you shouldn't say it.  But that's just me.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

kckgirl

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2014, 11:33:57 AM »
I usually only mention a resemblance to a celebrity if the celebrity is quite good looking. We once had a waitress who looked like Trisha Yearwood. Someone at the table asked her how often the resemblance is mentioned to her, and she said several times a day. She said her family agreed but she just couldn't see it herself.

I have regular contact with a person whose name is the same as a notorious person (notorious for a crime, in the USA you'd recognize the name). I have never mentioned it, and never will. There's no need to remind this perfectly nice person that there's a nationally known criminal with the same name.
Maryland

PippaGrae

• Only Dots have that indefinable dotty yield.
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2014, 06:24:49 PM »
"Do you know who you look like?"
"Heidi Klum! I know! It's uncanny!"

Haha, I love this. Hilarious and also a very gentle way of calling out that you're annoyed by the statement, should you feel the need to make such a call-out. It kind of seizes control of the conversation while distracting people with the laugh.

Of course, I'd only come up with this response at 2 am the night after the statement had annoyed me and I'd squirmed wordlessly. We can't all be quick-draws.  :)