Author Topic: Accidental vague booking  (Read 1374 times)

MayHug

Accidental vague booking
« on: June 18, 2014, 01:37:54 PM »
BG:
My husband passed recently. I have mostly close friends and family on my Facebook with a few others thrown in, but all of them I know personally.
End BG:

I don't make status updates often, but I will let people know when I am having a bad day. Some times I will post a bible verse that's helpful to me that day or a song, etc. I asked a close friend if I was posting too much and he said no, just be sure to post when you do have good days so we can rejoice in those with you too.

I made a couple of financial decisions last week and felt at peace about them. So I posted " Was able to make a couple of big decisions today and feel at peace. Hard to be the sole decision maker but my life has to go on. Thank you all for your prayers and support"

My intention wasn't vague booking, but I got many texts and private messages from people wanting to know what the decisions were. I wasn't expecting that. How do I respond? I feel rude saying they were just financial decisions or private ones, because I'm the one who put it out there.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Accidental vague booking
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 01:40:42 PM »
I would never have called to ask you *what* those big decisions were! I think that's prying.

I don't think you need to give each and every detail on your Facebook posts. If it was a big decision that might be of any legitimate interest to me (like, you're selling your house, where I visit you), I'll find out soon enough.

Your answer should maybe be, "Oh, they weren't -that- big--nothing other people would really be interested in. Just difficult and complex."

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 01:48:20 PM »
Editing to add ((hugs)) I'm sorry for your loss.

I don't think its vague either, at least not inappropriately so. Its just enough information to make your status personal and interesting, but so much that someone might say "tmi." Which is a difficult balance to find on FB.

They might be concerned that you've decided to move, at least that would have been my first thought; they are probably just calling out of care.

One way to deal with it might be a disclaimer in the comments section, like "don't worry, not moving" or whatever else you think they might be thinking. Almost all of my friends have to disclaim "not pregnant" Every time they allude to not feeling well or wanting a particular food.  ::)

z_squared82

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 01:51:56 PM »
That really wasnít vaguebooking. Those people are just nosy.

Iíd say, ďOh, just some financial ones that donít matter to anyone but me. Isnít it such a pretty day?Ē

(AKA None of your business, and bean dip?)

Arila

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 05:20:10 PM »
I read your post being more about you finding your new balance and transition from a half of a unit to doing it all yourself, and I also thought the decisions were sort of secondary to the "theme" of the post. I guess if I were looking for something to comment on, I might say you "buried the lead" a bit, having the big decisions be on their own in the first sentence, but you followed up and explained that, so taking the post as a whole is a different meaning than just reading the first sentence.

I think they were nosey, and I don't think you were vaguebooking.

I guess you could comment on the post with a clarification that the decisions themselves weren't something you needed to make peace with, but being the one doing the deciding, was.