News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 04:57:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Men usually don't garden  (Read 15345 times)

MOM21SON

Men usually don't garden
« on: June 18, 2014, 05:27:38 PM »
My DS has been doing tons of yard work, including lots of new plants.

My neighbor came over to see his progress.  She said, "Wow, it really looks good.  Men don't normally do garden work.  Don't tell him I said that."

I took a deep breath and said it!  I don't think she got it though because she just kept talking.

Mergatroyd

Re: Men usually don't garden
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 05:37:12 PM »
I said the same thing once, but I was six, and caught my mechanic uncle planting marigolds. I still remember how embarrassed I was when he corrected me. That episode inspired my lifelong interest in etiquette!

missmolly

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 05:41:05 PM »
I had a neighbour who was utterly obsessed with his garden. His wife once told me that he always tried to rush Xmas lunch so he could go out and tend to the plants.
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

shygirl

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 09:03:32 PM »
That's a really odd thing to say!  Men don't usually garden?  Where?

Growing up, my parents had a garden and so did a lot of our family friends.  And the husbands and wives were both equally doing the work!

Now, my husband is growing a vegetable garden for us, and he's doing 99.5% of the work because I don't want my bad luck with plants to rub off on his garden.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 09:29:17 PM »
Men don't garden ? Is it only okay if it's called "farming" or "mowing the lawn" ?  ???

catwhiskers

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 02:46:48 AM »
I admit to being totally baffled by this. Most (but not all) of the keen gardeners I know are men.

Phoebelion

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 06:57:47 AM »
Wonder where and the culture the woman was born?  All the men I have know thru out my life have been "gardeners" way more than the women.

(hangs head in shame as I have a brown thumb) DH is the plant whisperer.  He takes care of all the gardening and I have strict instructions to not even glance at any plant.  He even plants, tends and reaps the herbs I want for summer use and drying.  As well as all of the vegetables and flowers. He walks thru the yard lightly touching anything that isn't doing well and the next day it's in full glory.

I have no idea what he does.  I've "spied" on him without success.  The man doesn't even use fertilizer or weed killer.  He gets hurt when asked what he uses and people complain he's lying to them when he says nothing.

On the opposite side, the animals thrive under my care.  He has given up asking me why and how come.  He's just happy that they're happy which makes me happy.

Each to their own. 

bloo

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 08:33:08 AM »
Yeah this has me puzzled.

DH, Stepfather-in-law, my dad and my son do all the gardening. No woman that I'm related to by blood or marriage is involved in the gardening on any level.

I also have a bit of brown thumb. I was allowed to weed until my ragweed allergies put paid to weeding. That's it.

I agree with TeamBhakta. Men only do 'large scale gardening' (aka 'farmer')?

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 09:57:26 AM »
How absurd!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

BeagleMommy

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 10:20:52 AM »
 :o

In addition to DS's vegetable/herb garden, DH takes care of all our flowering things.  We have roses, lavender and gladiola all around our property.

Me?  I'm known as the plant assassin.  I once killed a cactus by underwatering it.  :-[

Phoebelion

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »
Beaglemommy - BTDT.

MrTango

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 11:32:06 AM »
I guess if someone said to me that "men don't usually [whatever]" my response would be "What's your point?"

TriCrazy73

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 12:16:07 PM »
wow.  I am baffled by that as well.  My entire life, I have seen my dad tend seeds and plants and lovingly plant his gardens.  I've never come across that attitude before. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 12:29:28 PM »
I admit to being totally baffled by this. Most (but not all) of the keen gardeners I know are men.

My husband certainly has a much greener thumb than I do.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 12:37:03 PM »
My sexist, can't-do-women's-work grandfather worked in a plant nursery and as a landscaper, and had many hobby gardens, his whole life. His entire generation worked in the nursery/landscaping business, actually!

I've just not seen it break down along gender lines at all.