Author Topic: Paid house cleaner etiquette - how much "cleaning for the cleaner"?  (Read 8068 times)

Eeep!

Re: Paid house cleaner etiquette - how much "cleaning for the cleaner"?
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2014, 05:33:13 PM »
If I don't pick stuff up, I may never find it!

In fact, the name of our first house cleaner has become a verb in our house, meaning "to put something away, while cleaning, in an unguessable place."

"Have you seen the green widget?  It was on the credenza."

"It must have gotten Kimmed."

(Notwithstanding that Kim retired years ago; now Della cleans -- and Kims -- for us.)

That is how our last house cleaner was. We actually let her go because I got tired of not being able to find things. (I am not a terribly tidy person, despite my best efforts.)  Her impact is still felt - whenever we can't find something my 4 year old will say "maybe the cleaners did something with it".  Our new cleaner is much better.  And I purposefully didn't extra straighten the house when she came for her estimate so that she could get an accurate picture of what she was getting into.  ;)

I also specifically asked if she would have an issue with cleaning the odd coffee mug/dish that got left out in our early morning scramble to get out of the house. The same previous house cleaner would not clean them. I hadn't discussed that with her since our first one did, but I didn't hold that particular fact against her. (Even though it annoyed me.) But I did take issue with the fact that in order for her to make the counter and sink look clean, she would put my dirty dishes right next to my clean ones. Despite me requesting multiple times that she NOT do that. Grr.  But when we decided to get a new cleaner, I wanted to make sure she was OK with doing that particular task. Which she was.  She is awesome, btw.  She even cleans my fridge.  And this week she bleached my shower curtain liner that was getting kind of gross. (kind of embarassing, that one. heh.)
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

melbelle39

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2014, 01:35:24 AM »
We have a cleaner who comes once a week, I usually do a tidy up the night before (I find its a good prompt) as like others, I want her to clean - not tidy
We have agreed that she will place any items that she's not sure about in a a designated washing basket - but as she's been working for us for over three years that's pretty rare.

I know with other clients she does absolutely everything, dishes, laundry, trash removal, ironing etc - but that's not the arrangement we have. I think an effective cleaning service understands the needs of each client and works to meet those, understanding that different clients will have different needs and priorities.

Sure - if there is a health risk or the cleaner in uncomfortable touching certain items (breakables etc, or I know my parents cleaner refuses to dust the wine rack/cellar as she is afraid of disturbing it) then they bring that up in a diplomatic fashion, but I really don't see how stuff on the kitchen table prevents a cleaner from doing the bathroom.

I think the OP did the right thing in ending her association with this new cleaner, clearly it was not going to be beneficial

melbelle39

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2014, 01:38:01 AM »
My husband tolerates it, but hates that we pay for 'something we can easily do ourselves'. I happen to hate cleaning to the point where I would rather work more hours doing my 'real' job so I can afford to pay my cleaner, than to spend the hours cleaning.

THIS - my husband is uncomfortable about paying someone to do stuff we can do ourselves, but I pointed out that left to his own devices he does not do any of these things even monthly, and although I do make time for them, I would rather do other things.  We can afford it, so why not!

lowspark

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2014, 11:07:38 AM »
My husband tolerates it, but hates that we pay for 'something we can easily do ourselves'. I happen to hate cleaning to the point where I would rather work more hours doing my 'real' job so I can afford to pay my cleaner, than to spend the hours cleaning.

THIS - my husband is uncomfortable about paying someone to do stuff we can do ourselves, but I pointed out that left to his own devices he does not do any of these things even monthly, and although I do make time for them, I would rather do other things.  We can afford it, so why not!

For me, it's that I don't want to pay someone for something that I don't mind doing myself. So, I don't mind tidying up, doing dishes, doing my own laundry. But I absolutely hate scrubbing toilets & tubs, mopping, dusting, etc.

So, I do the things I don't mind doing and make sure those things don't hinder the housekeeper from doing the things I hate doing and am happy to pay her to do.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2014, 12:21:05 PM »

For me, it's that I don't want to pay someone for something that I don't mind doing myself. So, I don't mind tidying up, doing dishes, doing my own laundry. But I absolutely hate scrubbing toilets & tubs, mopping, dusting, etc.

So, I do the things I don't mind doing and make sure those things don't hinder the housekeeper from doing the things I hate doing and am happy to pay her to do.

That's a good way to look at it!  And I, amusingly, am the opposite.  I hate trying to stem the tide of toys/junk/miscellaneous stuff that gets left all over the house.  Vacuuming when I've done tidying the living room is my reward for a job well done.  :)  I'd much rather clean a bathroom than try to help the girls tidy up their playroom or figure out what to do with all those miscellaneous items that just don't seem to have homes.  The one thing I'd gladly pay a cleaner to do is to scrub the kitchen floor, but, fortunately, this is why I have a 7-year-old!  She puts the scrub brushes on her feet and "ice skates" until the floor is clean and flooded, makes an attempt to mop up with a Montessori child-sized mop and bucket I found, and then I do have to go over it a few times afterwards to try to get up the rest of the flood.

blueyzca01

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2014, 01:52:43 PM »
I usually purchase Groupons for the maid service and they are always paid by the hour.  I would rather spend my time straightening up so they are able to spend their time cleaning, not tidying up so they can get to the areas they need to clean. 
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

MurPl1

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2014, 04:35:08 PM »

I backed into my neighbors car early one morning, and after figuring out it was cheaper to turn it in and have the premium go up, than pay damage out of pocket, we turned it in.  But DH said we had to give up *Maria* for the rest of the year to offset the cost.  :(  Come January, he was the one contacting Maria to get her back - "because Wife isn't good at this!"  So it all worked out and today was Maria Day. 

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2014, 07:28:13 PM »

This is definitely why I'm thinking an hourly rate service would suit me better.  There are things that I am more than happy doing, but it feels silly doing *right before* the cleaner is about to come.  (For example, scrubbing down my kitchen benches!)    So I really need to pay them just to do the bits I don't enjoy such as the bathroom, or can't do such as the mopping, or the things that I just haven't had time to do that week.   And have the flexibility to vary the actual tasks a bit each week as long as I'm committing to pay for a certain amount of their time.   

It's interesting because my old cleaning company charged $80 per clean, but depending on which cleaner came and the specific week the time they spent in the house varied from 1 hour to 2 hours, and the quality varied too.     Hourly rate companies around here often charge $25 p/hr so realistically I should be able to pay for 2 hours of cleaning and still get nearly as much done for much less cost!   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2014, 10:37:32 AM »
I would like someone to be home for an hourly cleaner just from my past experience.  When I bought my house, I got a roommate.  Mainly because I had no furniture.  We agreed to hire a cleaning service, mainly to ease roommate disputes.  Roommate found one that would come for 4 hours for $100.  I think it was every week, or every other week.  They would do a normal clean first, and then do deep cleans based on a list we left.  At first they did great.  Then they didn't seem to do much.  I was working the noon-to-whatever shift.  I left at 11:30 am one day and realized I'd forgotten to leave a check for the cleaner.  I was home at 12:30 pm and found a note from the house cleaner that she cleaned the house and everything was fine, but she needed her money. 

Or maybe security/nanny cameras.  That would work too. 

learningtofly

« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »

Sounds like my house.  My cleaning lady is paid for two hours.  During those two hours she does all of the floors and the bathroom.  Can't get to the kid's floor because there is a lego universe going on?  I leave her a note and she skips it.  She gets paid for those two hours whether or not I have two hours of work.  So it's on me to pick-up everywhere I can.  I love that she does the big things I can't get to.  It drives DH nuts when he realizes she skipped a room because of clutter.  However, it does not motivate him to clean. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2014, 04:01:02 PM »

That's -exactly- my strategy.

So I refuse to allow my cleaner to wash the sheets on the bed or do laundry. Or tidy. Or do the dishes.

Because those, I will do.

But I hate cleaning the tub.

(I also don't have the cleaner do anything that I'm picky about how it gets done--so no one else makes my bed, bcs I hate how they do it. And I won't allow anyone else to do my laundry, because I'll be p.o.'d beyond words if they shrink a sweater or fry a stain in.)

Nuala

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2014, 06:24:38 PM »
I backed into my neighbors car early one morning, and after figuring out it was cheaper to turn it in and have the premium go up, than pay damage out of pocket, we turned it in.  But DH said we had to give up *Maria* for the rest of the year to offset the cost.  :(  Come January, he was the one contacting Maria to get her back - "because Wife isn't good at this!"  So it all worked out and today was Maria Day.

Happy Maria day!