Poll

What is your opinion on waitstaff kneeling by your table to take your food order?

It's unprofessional.  You would never see this in good restaurants.
84 (23.6%)
It's too familiar and makes me uncomfortable.
133 (37.4%)
I have no opinion one way or another as long as my food is served well.
97 (27.2%)
Interesting way of interacting with the customers but doesn't bother me.
35 (9.8%)
I like the chatty friendliness of waitstaff that gets down to my level.
7 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 356

Voting closed: July 03, 2014, 08:20:14 AM

Author Topic: POLL - Waitstaff kneeling by your table to take your order  (Read 6309 times)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
POLL - Waitstaff kneeling by your table to take your order
« on: June 19, 2014, 08:20:15 AM »
A recent story on the blog this week is the catalyst for this new poll.   In the "Bellini! Bellini!" post, the increasingly inebriated waitress took the customers' orders while kneeling at the table which a number of blog commenters viewed as unprofessional behavior.   What are your thoughts?

Pioneer

Re: POLL - Waitstaff kneeling by your table to take your order
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 08:34:01 AM »
I feel like a "victim" of a quirky new gimmick.  We are not best buddies.  Please, just be polite and professional, and bring us some food.

Yup, I realize there is a study out there that suggests that it creates a friendly atmosphere, and possibly leads to larger food orders or a larger tip.  But I know your feet are killing you, and your knees don't need any additional stress as you squat or kneel to get at my eye level, and I'm still going to calculate 20% and round either up or down depending on the service.
"Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." -- Will Rogers

Jones

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 08:38:26 AM »
Haven't seen this yet and hope I never do. I've seen kneeling as a sign of servitude and I would feel most uncomfortable if someone were kneeling "to" me!

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 08:42:38 AM »
It doesn't bother me. I've seen staff do it at chain restaurants and independent ones. Even at the chains some do and some don't.  Sometimes I think they do it to hear better.

bloo

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 08:45:18 AM »
I voted for the second option.

I don't like anyone I don't know getting too close to me and violating my 'bubble' and this would most definitely include those that I'm in a business transaction with!

I don't like it but I've never asked a server that has done this if they could please not kneel at the table. I wouldn't know how to without resultant awkwardness and DH hates the idea of doing *anything* that could affect his food.

Krism

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 08:53:47 AM »
It doesn't really bother me as long as it's in keeping with the restaurants level of formality, so I wouldn't mind this in your standard family dining place. I once had a waitress sit down in the booth with us while taking our order  :o

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 08:55:51 AM »
Wouldn't bother me at all as long as they did their job properly.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 08:58:04 AM »
It irks me, but I know it's a thing. I've also experienced the "server sitting in your booth" thing. At the restaurants that do this gimmick, everybody does it, so I think it's a rule set by the employer in most cases. The waitress in the story was unprofessional, but she was unprofessional because she was wasted out of her gourd, not because she knelt. She was probably required or strongly encouraged to kneel.

I agree with Pioneer, it sounds like getting up and down all the time would be even more strain on the server's legs and feet than just remaining standing would be, though if any servers chime in and say that it hurts less to do that, I'll rethink the whole thing. Servers already have to deal with enough pain and I'm all for reducing it.

Coley

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 09:03:28 AM »
I put this in the category of servers sitting with the customers. It makes me uncomfortable, and I don't like it. If I see all the servers in a restaurant doing that or a similar variation, then I figure the management is requiring it. Otherwise, it comes across to me as a quirk with one server. It feels too familiar. The sitting-with-the-customers thing bothers me more than the kneeling though.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 09:10:36 AM »
The only time I've had this happen was in casual restaurants that were loud (sports focused with lots of TVs on) and the server was doing it so neither he nor our table needed to shout. It didn't bother me. I'd find it odd in other situations.  I also remember a waitress doing it when my DD was young and learning to place her own order and she kneeled down to table level to interact with DD.

jmarvellous

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 09:22:31 AM »
Would I care if my waitperson were drunk? Yup. Unprofessional.

Would I care if my waitperson were so drunk that they couldn't stand for a couple of minutes to take an order? Definitely.

Would I care if my waitperson just knelt because they were odd or their bosses told them to do it? Not really. I would find it weird, but not necessarily off-putting. I might say, "You don't have to do that!" and I'd probably discreetly check their knees as they walked away to see if they were coated in dust or crumbs.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 09:26:36 AM »
I also remember a waitress doing it when my DD was young and learning to place her own order and she kneeled down to table level to interact with DD.

This wouldn't bother me at all.  But a table full of adults and the server kneeling would make me uncomfortable.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 09:31:14 AM »
I have seen it when a group of older ladies were too quiet for the server to hear. The server was not under the influence at the time.

Coralreef

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 09:40:30 AM »
I said unprofessionnal.  It would really squeek me out, I would end up thinking the waiter/waitress was having problems (dizziness, blacking out or something).  If, like in the blog story, drunk, that would make me leave so fast, there would be burn marks on the floor. 

I'm always extremely polite to restaurant/hotel/service personnel, they have a hard job and don't need me to make it harder; however, I'm not your friend either, so don't get into my bubble. 

[/right

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 09:48:39 AM »
The only time I've had this happen was in casual restaurants that were loud (sports focused with lots of TVs on) and the server was doing it so neither he nor our table needed to shout. It didn't bother me. I'd find it odd in other situations.  I also remember a waitress doing it when my DD was young and learning to place her own order and she kneeled down to table level to interact with DD.

The sports places are the only places we've seen this.  Even then, the waiter bent down but didn't kneel.