Author Topic: adult lunch suggestions  (Read 1854 times)

MyFamily

adult lunch suggestions
« on: August 30, 2007, 04:37:49 PM »
I need to cut down on my carbs big time, so I need to start bringing my lunch.  I can bring a salad, but I need protein (and I cannot mix meat or milk).  Tuna is okay, sometimes, but it can also bring on migraines, so I avoid it.  Egg salad is good - but the cholosterol.  Peanut butter is out because there are kids in the school where I work with peanut allergies and my son is allergic so I really don't like having it in the house.

I'm really stumped and need good, simple and cheap ideas of a lunch with lots of protein and little to no carbs.

Thank you!

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

LB

Re: adult lunch suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 04:42:07 PM »
What about putting black beans on your salad? I think they're pretty high in protein.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 04:45:15 PM »
There are these vegetarian crumble things - like ground hamburger - that are awesome!!!  I'm not a veggie, but my DH & I love them.  We have them with a little mashed potatoes & it's like eating a shepherd's pie.  Very tasty.   

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 04:51:01 PM »
I need to cut down on my carbs big time, so I need to start bringing my lunch.  I can bring a salad, but I need protein (and I cannot mix meat or milk).  Tuna is okay, sometimes, but it can also bring on migraines, so I avoid it.  Egg salad is good - but the cholosterol.  Peanut butter is out because there are kids in the school where I work with peanut allergies and my son is allergic so I really don't like having it in the house.

I'm really stumped and need good, simple and cheap ideas of a lunch with lots of protein and little to no carbs.

Thank you!

How about lentils?  Here is a recipe . . we normally put it over macaroni, but it is good just by itself:

Lentils

Ingredients

2 bags of dry lentils
1/2 cup oil.
8 chicken bouillon cubes.
1 can of tomatoes, pureed (or leftover marinara sauce.)
garlic powder, basil, oregano, bay leaf, parsley, red pepper (dash) to taste
chopped celery and onions to taste

Directions

Put lentils in colander & wash thoroughly.
Soak at least 2 hour in enough cold water to cover.
Drain & rinse.
Cover in about 2 inches water. Add tomato puree or sauce.
Add olive oil & boullion cubes.
Add celery & onions.
Add garlic powder, basil, oregano, bay leaf, parsley, red pepper

Simmer approx. 2 hours.
Serve with elbow macaroni (optional!)

-------------

Here's another beans recipe, from DH's grandfather:

Pop's Beans:

Ingredients

Great Northern beans
celery
onions
salt & pepper
basil
tomato sauce

Directions

Soak overnight.

Wash 3 to 4 times, then fill 3/4 full water.

Soak overnight.

Cook very low in same water.

Add to taste celery/onions/salt & pepper/basil, and enough tomato sauce till it just changes color.

Simmer approximately 1 1/2 hours.

~ Cristen

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 06:00:55 PM »
Its the yolk that has the cholesterol in eggs, right? Make some egg salad without the yolks...

ladiedeathe

• Pushing the bounds of ministry, one gasp at a time.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 07:20:04 PM »
Sunbutter- tastes like peanut butter and no problem with PN allergies

Hummus- great with onion and cucumber sauce, scoop with iced cucumber slices or in a lo-carb pita

Salad with grilled chicken, manadarin oranges, craisins, pumpkin seeds, and walnut-rasberry vinagerette

Cod or other whitefish- At home the night before, put fish on foil, splash with lemon or lime juice. Cover with chives, lemongrass, white pepper, and (if desired) lime or lemon slices) Fold foil around fish to make a sealed packet, and put in oven for about 20 minutes. If fish flakes, it's done) Take to work and reheat or serve cold and flaked over a salad of spring greens with capers

"Here to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Have chalice, will travel."

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 09:07:19 PM »
Honestly, my favorite lunches are just leftovers from dinner the night before.  BF and I usually cook extra just for this purpose - and you wouldn't have to worry about mixing meat/milk because you wouldn't have in the first place.

Otherwise, what about a turkey wrap?

Lettuce, washed and dried
Turkey or other lunch meat
Mustard or mayo

Spread mustard on lettuce, layer turkey/cheese/whatever on lettuce.  Roll up and either wrap in saran/wax paper or "pin" with toothpicks and put in tupperware.  No carbs, and just as easy to assemble at work
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 09:10:37 PM by irishone »

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 05:16:45 AM »

Thank you!
do you need to cut down on all carbs? i cut wayyyy down on bread/pasta (anything with flour, even if it's whole wheat) and i use whole grains as the base for my meal. here is how i do it - i don't know if this will work for you:
make a big batch of your whole grain - most can last 3-4 days in the fridge. while still warm, pour a small amount of home made vinaigrette. that's your base. now you add salad to that, and maybe some cooked beans, lentils, a handful of nuts, feta cheese, tuna, egg, poached fish or chicken. there - that's your meal plan for the week.

take beans and soak them until they sprout then freeze. you take the beans, pick over, wash, and soak overnight. next day rinse, and then pour them into a flat pan (like pyrex baking dish) with just the water that clings to it, cover with damp paper towels. it takes about 1-2 days till they just begin to sprout. you need to rinse and re-dampen the towels a few times. then rinse again and freeze in small baggies or cook them and then freeze. this way you have the beans all ready to eat. the sprouting eliminates the gassy problem. you can also soak and cook lentils - they don't need all that prep and they cook quickly.

the grains:
* brown rice (try to get basmatti and if you are lucky try to get something called "tilda" - its really good and unfortunately really expensive).
* quinoa - which is a whole protein so you don't need to add protein to that meal.
* kasha
* burghul
etc.

hope this is clear. if you need specific recipes - just hollar.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 11:18:11 PM »
Edamame - soybeans that are boiled (I think). High in protein, and they just need a bit of salt. Or you can put them in salad. They're a good substitute for snacky things like popcorn or chips.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 11:21:27 PM »
I'm a fan of SmartOnes, Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice meals.  There may be a few among them you can have.

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 06:10:11 AM »
I'm a fan of SmartOnes, Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice meals.  There may be a few among them you can have.

Oh, I LOVE Lean Cuisines, take one to lunch everyday!  Yes, it's not exactly very low-carb, but they do have a line (called Spa Cusines) that are made with whole grains.  I haven't tried this specifc line, so I can't vouched for their tastes.  :)

They may seem expensive, but DH and I rationaled that it was cheaper still then eating lunch out!

~ Cristen

GunStreetGirl

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 07:41:23 PM »
Have you ever heard of bento?  It's basically the art of boxed lunches.  this is my favorite website for it:   http://lunchinabox.net/.  They look generally very healthy.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 04:52:04 AM »

Bean salad

Take a can of mixed beans and rinse thoroughly.  Mix with diced onions and (optionally) cooked, cold green beans.  Make a dressing of vinegar, sugar, salad oil and celery seed and marinate over night. It keeps well, too.

Greek style salads - chunks of tomato, cucumber, onion and feta cheese with a dressing of lemon juice, olive oil and oregano. There are lots of variations on this - try different vegetables (green and red pepper, green onion, broccoli, carrots, celery, cauliflower, daikon, etc), change the cheese, mix in fresh herbs, etc.

Tatziki or hummus or baba ganoj and veggies.

Hummus or baba ganoj and diced chicken in a half pita, with some lettuce or cucumer - some starch, but not a whole lot, and easy to eat.

A thermos full of soup - I like pureed vegetable soups.  Start with chicken stock, add vegetables, cook until the veggies are soft, add seasonings (salt, pepper, herbs, lemon juice) and then dump in the blender. Delicious, cheap, good for you, and reheats well. Combos I use are (Potato, carrot, onion and garlic) (Asparagus), (Squash, onion and roasted red pepper with cumin and coriander) (Cucumber + Dill + Lemon).  Recipes often involved adding cream - I actually like it better without it, as the flavours are more intense.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 01:23:55 PM »
Have you ever heard of bento?  It's basically the art of boxed lunches.  this is my favorite website for it:   http://lunchinabox.net/.  They look generally very healthy.

thanks for this link - what a CUTE idea.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools