Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

adult lunch suggestions

(1/3) > >>

MyFamily:
I need to cut down on my carbs big time, so I need to start bringing my lunch.  I can bring a salad, but I need protein (and I cannot mix meat or milk).  Tuna is okay, sometimes, but it can also bring on migraines, so I avoid it.  Egg salad is good - but the cholosterol.  Peanut butter is out because there are kids in the school where I work with peanut allergies and my son is allergic so I really don't like having it in the house.

I'm really stumped and need good, simple and cheap ideas of a lunch with lots of protein and little to no carbs.

Thank you!

LB:
What about putting black beans on your salad? I think they're pretty high in protein.

Bibliophile:
There are these vegetarian crumble things - like ground hamburger - that are awesome!!!  I'm not a veggie, but my DH & I love them.  We have them with a little mashed potatoes & it's like eating a shepherd's pie.  Very tasty.   

SkylerY:

--- Quote from: MyFamily on August 30, 2007, 04:37:49 PM ---I need to cut down on my carbs big time, so I need to start bringing my lunch.  I can bring a salad, but I need protein (and I cannot mix meat or milk).  Tuna is okay, sometimes, but it can also bring on migraines, so I avoid it.  Egg salad is good - but the cholosterol.  Peanut butter is out because there are kids in the school where I work with peanut allergies and my son is allergic so I really don't like having it in the house.

I'm really stumped and need good, simple and cheap ideas of a lunch with lots of protein and little to no carbs.

Thank you!

--- End quote ---

How about lentils?  Here is a recipe . . we normally put it over macaroni, but it is good just by itself:

Lentils

Ingredients

2 bags of dry lentils
1/2 cup oil.
8 chicken bouillon cubes.
1 can of tomatoes, pureed (or leftover marinara sauce.)
garlic powder, basil, oregano, bay leaf, parsley, red pepper (dash) to taste
chopped celery and onions to taste

Directions

Put lentils in colander & wash thoroughly.
Soak at least 2 hour in enough cold water to cover.
Drain & rinse.
Cover in about 2 inches water. Add tomato puree or sauce.
Add olive oil & boullion cubes.
Add celery & onions.
Add garlic powder, basil, oregano, bay leaf, parsley, red pepper

Simmer approx. 2 hours.
Serve with elbow macaroni (optional!)

-------------

Here's another beans recipe, from DH's grandfather:

Pop's Beans:

Ingredients

Great Northern beans
celery
onions
salt & pepper
basil
tomato sauce

Directions

Soak overnight.

Wash 3 to 4 times, then fill 3/4 full water.

Soak overnight.

Cook very low in same water.

Add to taste celery/onions/salt & pepper/basil, and enough tomato sauce till it just changes color.

Simmer approximately 1 1/2 hours.

~ Cristen

Trisha:
Its the yolk that has the cholesterol in eggs, right? Make some egg salad without the yolks...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version