News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• September 05, 2015, 02:46:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1312945 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #10770 on: September 01, 2015, 05:06:44 PM »
If not a microcrack then maybe one of your seals is a bit loose and is allowing air in.

Do you have a safelite place near you?  They charge a fairly reasonable fee to take a look at your car glass.  I'm sure they've seen it before. 
Maryland

JoW

« Reply #10771 on: September 01, 2015, 05:55:46 PM »
You are probably already doing this, but if you aren't try running your defroster with the air temperature set to maximum.  The cabin may get a little warm but the warm air will reduce the condensate on the windshield.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10772 on: September 01, 2015, 09:45:42 PM »
I've found that at certain times of year, when you hit that magic sweet spot of humidity and temperature, my car windows won't stay clear unless I run the defroster. I think some of that is just the climate I live in, but there are times of year (mostly spring and fall) where non-defroster air, no matter the temperature, leaves the windshield splotchy with a thin film of condensation. Since turning the defroster clears it right up, I don't worry about it beyond that.

mmswm

« Reply #10773 on: September 02, 2015, 10:49:06 AM »
If not a microcrack then maybe one of your seals is a bit loose and is allowing air in.

Do you have a safelite place near you?  They charge a fairly reasonable fee to take a look at your car glass.  I'm sure they've seen it before.

That was my thought, about the seal being bad.  My old Civic windshield never did seal right after my friend was hit while driving it and the windshield had to be replaced.  Splotchy glass (and frost on the inside during those North Dakota winters when I had to park it outside) was a major issue.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

magicdomino

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10774 on: September 02, 2015, 02:03:51 PM »
The waffle truck Great Food Truck Race thread made me wonder about something:  what exactly is "chicken and waffles"?  Obviously, there is a waffle involved, and I've heard that the chicken is fried, rather than a chicken-a-la-king type of sauce.  Is there any kind of sauce or gravy?  Maple syrup?   It sounds like a flattened chicken fried chicken breast with cream gravy, which could be pretty good.

mandycorn

« Reply #10775 on: September 02, 2015, 02:30:29 PM »
When I've seen (but never tried) chicken and waffles, it's a Belgian waffle with a piece of fried chicken on top, with maple syrup to dump on top of both.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #10776 on: September 02, 2015, 02:33:05 PM »
The waffle truck Great Food Truck Race thread made me wonder about something:  what exactly is "chicken and waffles"?  Obviously, there is a waffle involved, and I've heard that the chicken is fried, rather than a chicken-a-la-king type of sauce.  Is there any kind of sauce or gravy?  Maple syrup?   It sounds like a flattened chicken fried chicken breast with cream gravy, which could be pretty good.

It's exactly what it sounds like.  It's a waffle topped with fried chicken and served with butter and maple syrup.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10777 on: September 02, 2015, 02:33:51 PM »

I've seen it with regular fried chicken pieces (wing, leg, thigh, etc). It's just like ordering waffles with a side of bacon or sausage, except with fried chicken.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #10778 on: September 03, 2015, 06:58:02 AM »
What does the '+' mean in front of phone numbers?  We visited the British Isles lately and saw numbers listed like: +353 51 305555

Carotte

« Reply #10779 on: September 03, 2015, 08:39:33 AM »
What does the '+' mean in front of phone numbers?  We visited the British Isles lately and saw numbers listed like: +353 51 305555

This shows that there's a country code added to it.
For example here we have a 10 digit telephone number starting with 01 to 05 (5 big regions in the country), 06 or 09 means it's a cellphone...
But if you were to try and phone us from another country you'd need to start with the country code: +33, the first 0 pops out so that a phone number would look like +3301.39.00.00.00.
I don't think it was like that a few years ago but now when I receive a call, even from inside my own country, there's always the country code at the front, my phone even tells me what country it's from in the call log (but not while it's ringing), usefull to avoid scam calls from other countries!

+353 is Ireland, they probably add it to be sure people traveling will be connected to the right number regardless of where they are (maybe there's some spots or cellphones who pick up the UK network instead of the Irish one even if on Irish land? Or if they're in Northen Ireland maybe?)

ETA: it's also pretty usefull for tourists, that way they don't even have to think and look for the area code,
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 08:41:05 AM by Carotte »

ScubaGirl

« Reply #10780 on: September 03, 2015, 08:57:06 AM »

This shows that there's a country code added to it.
For example here we have a 10 digit telephone number starting with 01 to 05 (5 big regions in the country), 06 or 09 means it's a cellphone...
But if you were to try and phone us from another country you'd need to start with the country code: +33, the first 0 pops out so that a phone number would look like +3301.39.00.00.00.
I don't think it was like that a few years ago but now when I receive a call, even from inside my own country, there's always the country code at the front, my phone even tells me what country it's from in the call log (but not while it's ringing), usefull to avoid scam calls from other countries!

+353 is Ireland, they probably add it to be sure people traveling will be connected to the right number regardless of where they are (maybe there's some spots or cellphones who pick up the UK network instead of the Irish one even if on Irish land? Or if they're in Northen Ireland maybe?)

ETA: it's also pretty usefull for tourists, that way they don't even have to think and look for the area code,

Thanks, I thought it was something like that but then wondered if there was something actually on my phone that I was suppose to press.  The phone number in my example is the phone number for the Granville Hotel in Waterford Ireland.  It was a very nice place to stay and they had the best green beans I've ever had.  I still regret not asking what the seasonings were.  I don't plan to call them though.  :)