News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 30, 2016, 11:59:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Game of Thrones - Is there a Book 6??  (Read 984 times)

3angels

Game of Thrones - Is there a Book 6??
« on: September 12, 2015, 06:38:24 PM »
Finally finished reading book 5 of Game of Thrones only to have EVERYTHING left hanging!! Is there a book 6 that they just didn't mention at the end of 5? Is he still writing book 6? I need to know!!!

pandabear

Re: Game of Thrones - Is there a Book 6??
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 06:41:22 PM »
Finally finished reading book 5 of Game of Thrones only to have EVERYTHING left hanging!! Is there a book 6 that they just didn't mention at the end of 5? Is he still writing book 6? I need to know!!!

No book 6 yet.  He's a slow writer..  As slow as Patrick Rothfuss.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 06:44:15 PM »
You'll find out sinner what happens in the series, season six should start next April.

3angels

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 06:49:13 PM »
You'll find out sinner what happens in the series, season six should start next April.

We don't have HBO. Besides, I'd rather read the books for the story the author intended than watch the tv show that gets changed by Hollywood.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 07:37:11 PM »
I thought I had heard that the tv series will be diverging from the books anyway, since #6 isn't done...

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 08:38:52 PM »
George RR Martin  has told them a few things in confidence, I think.

HannahGrace

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 08:41:18 PM »
The author is very much involved in the TV show.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 08:45:56 PM »
With the exception of last season he contributes a script each season and has said he likes some of the differences in the show from the books.

And now I recall correctly he has told the show runners quite a bit about what happens next just in case he dies before the last books (there's two coming The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring).

If you can get it on DVD up until the current season some story lines area ahead...particularly with Tyrion Lannister.

Allyson

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 08:57:59 PM »
My crazy probably-wrong theory is that Book 6 is either done or super close to being done, but they are holding the release until just before Season 6 for maximum hype. There's a certain event at the end of Book 5/Season 5 that will be resolved one of 2 ways, and it'll be really hard to keep quiet which once the show comes out, so I think that they will want to release the book first, but only by a month or so.

TootsNYC

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 09:05:57 PM »

No book 6 yet.  He's a slow writer..  As slow as Patrick Rothfuss.

There are jokes about how the TV series may outpace the books.

shhh its me

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 09:14:22 PM »
My crazy probably-wrong theory is that Book 6 is either done or super close to being done, but they are holding the release until just before Season 6 for maximum hype. There's a certain event at the end of Book 5/Season 5 that will be resolved one of 2 ways, and it'll be really hard to keep quiet which once the show comes out, so I think that they will want to release the book first, but only by a month or so.

You are an optimist :) I hope you're right but based on how many times the 5th book was pre-sold and pushed back and promised in just 90 more days , I'm not hopeful.

I havent watched the show because I really liked the books , I just don't have much confidence the author will ever finish.

pandabear

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 11:26:55 PM »

There are jokes about how the TV series may outpace the books.
[/quote]

I thought I remembered reading that Martin has come out and said the series will be done before his books are.  And another that the series only has another season or two to go.

But I read a ton of stuff and forget who said what.

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 11:38:39 AM »
The series definitely is going to be ahead of the books, and it also goes off in some other ways, but they are all okay with George R.R. Martin, who works with the series' producers and approves of what they have done with his world. 

I have to say how happy it makes me to see George R.R. Martin enjoying his huge success and fame.  He was successful for aeons before, but he is at a whole new level with the TV series being so big, and he enjoys it so much and is also so generous with giving credit to the producers (whereas so many other authors are not okay with their work being changed in any way).   I was in particular tickled when he was on a "gay of Thrones" ("gay of Thrones" is a video recapping done of the show, from the perspective of a gay hairdresser in Hollywood named Jonathan, very funny for GOT fans).
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

Lindenharp

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 09:39:31 PM »
There's a clever song expressing the fans' impatience with the wait:
http://www.paulandstorm.com/lyrics/write-like-the-wind-george-r-r-martin/

There's some mild adult language in the song, but nothing that should offend anyone who reads/watches the series.