Author Topic: s/o Never Shopping - I'm never STAYING there again!!  (Read 16329 times)

Dr. F.

Re: s/o Never Shopping - I'm never STAYING there again!!
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 01:13:10 PM »
I have two.

1. A hotel close the the airport in Honolulu. We got in late from California, and had to stay the night before catching an early flight to one of the smaller islands (either Molokai or Lanai - I forget now). The hotel itself was OK, but there was a nightclub right.next.door, and the loud, thumping music didn't stop until 4 AM. It took me a couple days to recover from the trip.

2. A hotel in San Luis Obispo. We were up for a work-related conference, and I had arranged lodging for about 15 of us. When I made the reservations over the phone (this was before internet hotel reservations), the guy assured me that all of the rooms had 2 beds, which was important, as I was putting 2 students in each room. We pulled up, and I asked the guy at the front desk the same question, mostly because the guy on the phone sounded a bit skeevy. The guy hemmed and hawed and didn't really answer. Then the other guy, apparently the owner and the guy who had been on the phone, came up, and said that, no, the rooms had only 1 bed. Oh, and the town was full, so too bad, so sad. He'd lied, what was I gonna do, sue him? Needless to say, I packed everyone back up to find a new hotel, despite one of my coworkers whinging that we could put up with this, it'd be OK. Well, I wasn't going to put up with being duped, so we left. We found a decent hotel, who didn't lie to us, and for about the same price. These days, I'd've left a scathing review everywhere I could, but that was no option back then. It *still* makes me mad!

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 01:32:59 PM »
The Ranch House Motel in Sweetwater, Texas

Booked two rooms there for a week to spend time fishing with MIL who drove down from Shreveport, LA. We had stayed there several times before with no problem (this was many,many years ago). 

It was spring break somewhere and there were college kids booked into all the surrounding rooms.  They partied until the wee hours of the morning, racing cars in the parking lot, doors slamming, loud music, breaking glass, doors banging, etc. 

I complained, they said they would take care of the problem.  They didn't, police were called, as soon as they left it started up again.  We asked to be moved across the complex - unable to do that, we asked to be moved to the end two rooms, also unable to accommodate.  This is a small facility, they must have needed the money pretty badly, I know there was damage in some of the rooms - you could hear furniture being thrown into the walls.   

I went into the office and asked how long they were going to allow underage kids to be drinking on the premises and how they intended to keep quiet, regular customers coming back.  They acted like they had NO idea what I was talking about.  MIL went in and asked for a reduction in our rates since we were not getting any sleep, again they had NO idea what she was talking about.  They suggested we let them know when there was a problem - problem was they weren't there after 6:00 pm and whoever the evening/overnight manager was, they were not relaying the information.  Police were no help in containing the young adults.   

After four nights we checked out and went elsewhere.  Stayed three nights too long IMO.

sempronialou

• semper ubi sub ubi
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 02:41:51 PM »
I will never stay at a Days Inn again.  The first experience was one somewhere around Indianapolis.  I decided to not stay at the conference hotel which I regret.  The bottom sheets on their beds were a flat sheet and it did not cover the whole bed.  They had it so that the part where your feet go was not covered.  It grossed me out.  Then we stayed at a Days Inn in Grand Rapids during my husband's conference.  It was rather trashy looking.  There were teenagers staying there who were running down halls and talking loud at all hours.  Now we stay at the JW Marriott which is much nicer and doesn't have annoying teenagers who behave like hooligans.

I will never stay at that resort in St. Charles, IL.  Several years ago, I stayed there for a regional conference.  It wasn't as bad where they had me.  It seemed  a little better back then.  A couple years ago, they had the national conference at the same resort.  For pre-conference sessions, I couldn't get a room at the resort until the day the actual conference started.   So I booked the Hilton Inn across the street.  I wished I had just stayed there because the bed was luxurious, and it was quiet.  I moved over the Resort hotel.  It smelled musty and mildewy.   They had a window looking out to the hallway.  Even with drapes over it, light still leaked in during the night.  I can't sleep with lights coming into the room.  I could hear every person going down the hallway.  The bed was uncomfortable.  I hated it.  The pool was being worked on the whole time.  Even the restaurants weren't that great and were pricey.  It's not worth staying there even for a vacation.  It's old, smelly, and disgusting.  But the Hilton Inn gets many gold stars.  I will happily stay at one of those. 

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2014, 05:12:52 PM »
Buena Park Hotel & Suites, next to Knott's Berry Farm in California. We were stuck staying here when husband was relocated to a new job until we could find an apartment. Oh my God, it was awful. Actually, they put us here and they put us into an Extended Stay America that was just as bad in Arcadia.

Dirty, questionable people staying in the rooms - there was this one guy that would sit in front of his room and stare at me and DD while we were in the pool (who was 8 at the time) and he really creeped me out.

At night, there would be people up and partying in the courtyard so we couldn't get any sleep, the doors didn't lock right, and I was usually up all night and taking DD out of there during the day. DH had a night shift so we were alone there at night.

The other one was a Candlewood Suites when we were relocating back here - I want to say it was in or around Oklahoma City and the front desk staff was surly, room not clean, no breakfast as promised. Overcharged us for the room and argued with me over it even though I had prebooked through hotels.com.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2014, 05:21:18 PM »
- Hollywood Celebrity Hotel in LA. I dubbed it "Hotel California" due to all the creepy things going on in there.

Details?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Library Dragon

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 06:06:34 PM »
The Microtel Inn in Tupelo, Mississippi.  DH was working per diem at the Tupelo hospital and they contracted for him to stay there.  DH usually worked 12 hour days.  One day he had a shorter shift and came back to his room with a well used bed, cheap bottle of sparkling wine, half empty glasses, and his evening snacks opened and half eaten. 

He gathered his things and moved to the Courtyard across the street. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Jocelyn

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 06:57:37 PM »
I was traveling on business with a colleague, and we stayed at a motel (whose name I can't remember) that was her usual place to stay in that town. Turns out that a ball team was given rooms above us, and the kids were running up and down the balcony, shouting, hopping, etc. But the piece de resistance was when I stepped out of my room to ask the kids to be quiet (as my calls to the motel office weren't getting results), to discover the boys were having a spitting contest. The kid who spit as I stepped out did have the good manners to look appalled at what he'd done, but the rest of the kids didn't seem to believe that perhaps this was a sign that spitting off balconies might not be the best way to entertain themselves. I complained the next day as I was checking out, and was given a coupon for $ off for my next visit, something that I knew I'd never use, since I've never returned to that town.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 07:26:54 PM »
I wasn't the victim in this one but I was part of it.

My team was doing a project in a small, rural town. We had booked hotel rooms for ourselves for 6 months (we spent the week there and the weekend at home) and we would ask for an additional room if the partner responsible was coming to a meeting or something like that. We were staying at a simple but nice family run place.

The only time the town would really get crowded was when the agricultural convention was held. And, of course, on the second day of the convention, I get a call from the partner's assistant letting us know that he was on his way but would return the same day. Great. Except that the meeting ran late and, at 5:30pm, I figure out that he will have to spend the night. Of course, no rooms were available in our usual place. Nor in the chain hotel in town. Nor in any of the other decent hotels in town. Finally, we find a room available (the only available room in that town or the next, it seemed). Since the place looked rather seedy, my colleague decided to take that room for the night and have the partner sleep in his room (the hotel was happy to clean, change sheets and towels, etc, on short notice for us).

The next morning, I found out that colleague had ended up not sleeping in the seedy hotel after all. When he checked in, he found out it was the local brothel. His "room" was actually in front of the kitchen. There were people walking in and out at all hours, loud music and fighting. Did I mention the door didn't lock? He called the third team member and begged to sleep on the easy chair in his room, as that would be a vast improvement on his present situation.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 07:48:38 PM »
And my second story.

I was going to stay a few weeks in a town in the Guatemalan Highlands, to do some volunteering work. The organizer recommended a certain hotel so I booked a room. Let's just say that what a 20 year old thinks is just fine is not necessarily just fine for a 30 year old.

I have a delightful 20 hour plane trip (including a stop to change planes which meant I had to go through another set of immigration controls), a rather hurried dash through Guatemala City to get to the bus station, a 5 hour bus ride and I finally arrived. No taxi around (since it was a Sunday), so I walk down with my luggage. The hotel door is locked, since the owner is at home and the guests have their own front door key. So I wait out front until she gets there. I am tired, grumpy and I needed a shower.

The hotel was a rambling old house and several additions of questionable stability. My room was in the back of the back courtyard, accessible through an outside stair, which was a stair on the first floor, became a rickety wooden stair case in the second and half a stair case on the last floor (really - it was only half the size of an ordinary stair, since it needed to be narrower to allow people to climb up from the lower floor). Ok, this doesn't look good. I go into the room. No ceiling, I can see the roof tiles. The wooden walls are unfinished, although the larger cracks have been considerately patch with cellophane tape. There is a thick layer of dust on everything. The door does not close.

At this point, it was already 7pm and everything in town closed at 6pm. It was getting dark and I was not going to walk around town in the dark, with everything closed, looking for a hotel. So I decided to make the best of it. I managed to tie down the door and use my suitcase lock to secure it. Sure, someone determined could probably break down the door but there were a lot of easier targets to get to. I spread my towel and a pashmina style shawl over the bed so that everything was covered. I wrapped up in my coat and tried to ignore all the insect noises around me. I confess I decided to skip the shower I so desperately needed. After over 24hrs of travel, not even that room could keep me awake for long. The next day, as soon as it was light, I went out and searched for another place to stay. After several decidedly dodgy places, I found a delightful house that had been converted into a small hotel by the family, with rooms opening into a little courtyard and absolutely clean. I don't think I was ever happier to change hotels.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 11:51:38 PM »
The Days Inn outside the main gate of McChord Air Force Base, Tacoma, Washington.  We stayed there because we didn't know how long it would take to get to the office where I needed to get a new military ID.  I'd made the arrangements, so it was my credit card that was holding the reservation.  We checked in, went to dinner, then went to our room, and I was in my nightgown when the desk clerk pounded (not knocked, pounded) on the door.  It was 9:30 at night.  According to him the day person had made a mistake in our paperwork, so he needed me to come back to the office and sign a new receipt.  I told him I'd do it in the morning.  He was very insistent that I do it Right Then, as he "didn't want the mistake to show up in his paperwork" (his words).  I told him I'd be down in the morning before we left. 

About ten minutes later he pounded on the door again, and threatened to have the police throw us out unless I came down to the office Right Then to fix the paperwork.  Mr. Sirius and I decided that he wouldn't leave us alone until I went down to the office, so I got dressed and did so.  When I got to the office the clerk treated me in a very officious manner, and after he reran the billing, etc. he ended the transaction by scolding me with, "Why didn't you come down when I asked you the first time?"  You will be pleased to hear that I politely scolded him right back about the way he'd treated me and my husband and his lack of customer service.

It only served to reinforce our decision to never stay there again when an insect of some type ran across the bathroom floor (I wasn't wearing my glasses so I don't know the species) at 2 a.m. while I was in there.

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2014, 12:18:10 AM »
My husband and our two friends (a couple) checked into a hotel with detached rooms. After checking in we had to walk across a courtyard to get to our room.  When we opened the door we realized the room smelled like mold and looked really dirty.  It was also hot and muggy.   There was a scattering of insects when we turned the lights first on which looked like silverfish.  There were roaches in the bathroom and brown gooey looking marks on the walls. So after talking about what to do because we weren't going to stay there, we went to the front desk for a refund.  The walk over towing bags, chat, and walk back was about 15 minutes of time.  They told us they could not give out refunds after 10 minutes of being checked in.   

I think it sunk in what kind of hotel guests they might get there. 

We had to argue with the front desk, then come back the next day to argue with the manager to get a refund. We also had to "bring proof that we stayed at another hotel that night". Which we did.  They did refund us, but we almost had to get our credit card involved to cancel it because they were so stubborn.  I do believe I left a review about the terrible room condition and the arguing but I can't remember the hotel name. It was something with "home" in it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 12:31:14 AM by Marisol »

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2014, 01:50:00 AM »
A hotel named (ironically) The Carrier Hotel in Connecticut in 1996. It had been booked by corporate and looked lovely in the brochure. We got there and there was a huge moveable sign announcing free XXX movies in all rooms. It was nasty: paper bathmats,  weird stains, musty. Corporate told us to move the next day and we did though boy did we have to fight to get our money back. Basically we lied and said the meeting had been cancelled.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 01:34:08 PM »
The Alpine Inn, just off the highway outside Winnipeg, Manitoba.

We stayed there in around 2001 and it was just lovely. Clean and friendly in a well kept setting. We still talk about the fun family dinner we were able to cook in the little kitchenette.

Fast forward about three years. My mother, my kids and I are making another trip and, naturally, we picked there to stay.

This time, it was much shabbier than we remembered and the rooms disappointing. Still, it was just one night, so we stayed.
Bad decision.
Turns out it had changed owners and the new owners were allowing guests to rent "by the hour".
One such room was beside my mother's and the constant traffic in and out -along with other noises- kept her up and totally grossed her out.   :-\

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 02:02:21 PM »
Reminds me of a place I didn't actually stay at.  I was changing jobs and cities and I'd co-ordinated my start date with the start of my training, where my accommodations would be covered.  Then they pushed back my training a week.  I couldn't afford to push my start date back so I was going to have a week in my new city before I got my house - closing date was co-ordinated to go with the end of my training.

I phoned around, looking for the cheapest place to stay.  I found one motel that was 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of anywhere else.  That should have been my first clue.  But when I phoned to make my reservation, they didn't ask for a credit card.  A couple weeks prior, I was going through the area so I thought I'd check the place out.  Yup, it was a rent by the year or rent by the hour type of place.  Dodged a big old bullet there, let me tell you.

Since they didn't have my credit card information, I didn't even bother to call to cancel the reservation.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2014, 05:55:26 PM »
A small hotel in Berkeley, CA whose name I cannot remember - we had gotten glowing reviews from a friend of my wife's that this was the best place to stay while in town.  And it looked very nice from the outside.

Got to the room, put things on the bed and turned on the tv to see what channels were available.  It didn't work.  The only table in the room was so wobbly we didn't trust it to put the laptop on.  We got someone to fix the television, but it was obvious it was a jury-rigged wiring job, so we didn't feel comfortable watching it.

And then, the bed.  I don't know what the problem with it was, but the amount of give in the mattress was about an eighth of an inch and then it was hard as brick.  We only fell asleep because we were exhausted, and woke up the next morning feeling like we had been punched out by the mattress. What woke us up the next morning at 7 am was the sound of hammering.  It turned out they were building and attaching new shelving in the storeroom, which was underneath our room.  Part of the attaching was to the ceiling...