Author Topic: s/o Never Shopping - I'm never STAYING there again!!  (Read 16593 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: s/o Never Shopping - I'm never STAYING there again!!
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2014, 12:17:40 PM »

Turns out that it was a domestic dispute, where the husband was arrested.  While I know that this was beyond the control of the hotel, the staff could have at least apologized for the disturbance. 

But the staff didn't cause nor want the disturbance. Yeah I apologize for domestics at my hotel but really: why should I?

Because the hotel has implied that one will have a reasonably comfortable stay on its premises. If the hotel cannot stay by that bargain, it should apologize. Apologies for small things are part of the currency of business. Flight is 1/2 hour late because of weather? "We're sorry for the delay." You've sold out of the roast beef? "We're terribly sorry, but can we offer you another entrée?"

It's nothing personal, but it makes the difference between the customer thinking, "Well, it wasn't what I wanted, but the staff felt sorry things were like that," and "I had a miserable time, and they couldn't care less, as long as they have my cash in hand."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2014, 01:30:32 PM »
We travel a lot and have found some really INTERESTING hotels. 

The Governor Hotel in Olympia WA. – Staid there a few years ago and I am never staying there again.  The ad said that the rooms were overlooking either the lake or the park. They did not say that the park was a drug infested hangout for the local thugs and transients right next to the Greyhound station.   We reserved a suite as it was not that much more than the regular room and WulfieMan is a night owl. I could go to sleep at my normal time and he could stay up playing games. We get to the hotel and the place is a bit run down. We get to our room and it is a regular room not a suite. We went to the desk and they said they that the rooms were the same price so who cares that we are in the wrong room type. I had to insist and threaten to call the 3rd party company we booked through to get the right type.  We get to the room and it was obvious that housekeeping was hit and miss.  The room was dust free but there was a newspaper from a couple of weeks earlier sitting on the TV. We looked at it thinking that maybe the hotel was featured in it or something, nope, normal daily paper.  The room had French doors with a tiny little Juliet balcony overlooking the park. There were sunflower seed shells all over the balcony, lot of little things like this all over the room that show that they really don't do more than a basic surface clean and even that they didn't do well.  We went to get dinner and when we came back there was someone prowling through the cars in the parking garage. They saw us come in and they took off running.  We reported it to the front desk who did not seem surprised at all.   The next morning we went to have the included breakfast in the “award winning” BBQ restaurant. Nope, the BBQ place had closed down and moved out a few months earlier but they didn’t bother to update their website or their hotel listings. They had a steam table setup with breakfast items put out. The breakfast was pretty good but it was strange to be eating in an obviously closed and vacant restaurant space.

The next two happened just a couple of weeks ago when I had to head to Idaho when my Step-dad died suddenly.

Motel 6- Coeur d'Alene Idaho – Booked this based on reasonable visits to other Motel 6 hotels that we had visited elsewhere. We were not expecting much more than a basic clean non-smoking room.  We got the internet package so that WulfiePartner could get some work done it would not stay connected for more than 7 minutes at a time.  We were so tired on the first night that we just fell asleep. There was construction going on next door that started at 7am. We didn’t see that when we had arrived as it was dark when we got there. The neighborhood was fine but the hotel was really sketchy. We felt that our stuff was safer in the back of the truck than locked in our hotel room. We packed up everything each morning and put it in the truck. I have never felt that way about a hotel/motel before.  We got back the second night and the room reeked of smoke. So bad that we had to open the windows, the internet was still an issue and we had a creepy guy that kept staring at us through our window. I went to the front desk really frustrated and while I kept my cool, I did tell them as I came in that I was really upset and trying not to take it out on her.  The response from the person that she was with (supervisor??) was “Oh cool, a floor show”.  They did give us a voucher that can be used for a free night at another Motel 6 but I will never stay at that one again.

Quality Inns and Suites- Coeur d'Alene Idaho – Stayed here the second time. I may actually return but it is debatable.  The room was really nice but the front desk staff really fell down on the job.  We knew that on Saturday we would be having my step-dad’s memorial and lots of people would be in and out of the house and yard. WulfiePartner still had to bring her computer with her to get work done while traveling and in the evening. We checked in and went to our room. I went to use the toilet and discovered that it was not filling correctly.  I called the front desk and asked 1) if they had a safe large enough for the laptop and 2) if they could get the toilet fixed while we were gone the next day. We were told that yes, they had a safe big enough and no problem they would get the toilet fixed.    The next morning we went to the front desk only to be told that no, they don’t have a safe that will hold a laptop and they don’t know why the front desk girl said there was.  I checked and they did have the work order for the toilet.  We get back that night and the toilet will not fill at all. I went to the front desk and waited for the person to get back. She arrives back and starts to help people who were just walking in the front door. I interrupted her and said that I was there first and had an issue with our room. I explained that the toilet was not working at all and she actually accused me of lying. She came down and was surprised when in fact it was NOT working.  She said she would call maintenance and get back to us.  A couple of hours later we called back down because we had not heard back from her and it was getting very late. She said she was getting off in 30 minutes and maintenance had not called her back yet. WulfieMan went and worked on it for a bit (love having a handyman) and he managed to get the water turned back on so that it would fill slowly.  When I went to check out the next morning I learned that the evening lady had told the night clerk that it was fixed and not to worry about it.  I wrote a complaint but did not hear back until after I posted a bad review online. Then suddenly they called me back and tried to make things right. 

Daquiri40

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2014, 02:16:45 PM »
We traveled for vacation the last three years and stayed at a lot of hotels.  We elected the Comfort Suites a few years ago because they were offering a stay 2 nights; get one free deal. 

We stayed in some wonderful Comfort Suites except for:  Little Rock, Arkansas.  The room smelled of smoke, the smoke detector had been covered with wet paper towels, the phone did not work, and it was kind of shabby.  Way to not keep up your brand!  I doubt it is actually a Comfort Suites any more.

I got a great on-line rate for Candlewood Suites near Detroit.  When I got there I was told my credit card was declined (no way!) and that there were no rooms available.  Actually all hotels in the area were full and they were sending people 60 miles away!  I drove across the street and checked into a nicer hotel for about the same price with the same credit card and there were many rooms.  Liars.

I think they did not want to honor the on-line price.  I will never, ever stay there ever again.  I am that bitter.

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2014, 02:59:46 PM »
We stayed in some wonderful Comfort Suites except for:  Little Rock, Arkansas.

I've stayed at some cheap motels in my time. Between parents who were poor but wanted me to experience travel to just needing a place to sleep while on road-trips with my husband, very little bothers me.

But let me tell you about the Motel 6 in Little Rock, Arkansas.  My best friend and I were road-tripping from Canada to San Antonio and just crashing when she got too tired to drive.  Well we missed the off-ramp for the nice hotels and the next off-ramp had a Motel 6.  No big deal, we just needed to sleep.  Well the lobby was closed and the clerk was in an enclosed area behind another door.  So we get to our room and...oh my goodness.  Sketchtacular.  The bathroom was itty-bitty and so dirty, dated and gross I just stood there frozen before I could get changed, and then I didn't touch anything.  The shower had an old-timey small showerhead and there was a huge glob of hair in the drain.  I'm positive there were bloodstains on the shower curtain too. Needless to say we didn't bother showering. The sink was outside the bathroom and clogged immediately upon running the water.  The beds were hard with flat pillows and so sketchy-looking that we each slept on top of the bedspreads with our clothes on. The TV was bolted to the dresser and had no remote.  The carpet was so dirty that when we left my friend noticed my socks in the garbage can and said "Did you throw out your socks?!" and I was like "YES!"

The Motel 6 in Little Rock, AR has officially lowered the bar for all my motel stays.  No matter what cheap, sketchy, run-down place I find myself in on road trips, "...nothing will ever be as bad as the Motel 6 in Little Rock."

half_dollars

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2014, 04:04:53 PM »
The Hampton Inn in Washington, PA.

Since we've moved, we have no reason to stop there, but we didn't go back during our travels before we moved.

Due to traveling for work, both DH and I have Diamond status with Hilton.  We are also HGVC owners.  We love staying at the Hamoton Inns with the kiddos, especially the newly renovated ones that offer jr suites.  They're perfect for our family!

But not the Hampton Inn in Washington PA.  We reserved our room, no problems there.  I woke up in the middle of the night to the bathroom lights on.  Odd, because they were off when we went to sleep.  I turned them off and fell asleep again.  I woke up a few more times (I'm a light sleeper and was nursing my DD).  Each time the bathroom lights were on.  I'm getting a bit concerned, wondering if someone had come into the room, even with the locks locked.

When we mentioned it at check-out, the desk clerk said, "oh, yes, we've gotten lots of complaints about the bathroom lights coming on.  We just haven't had time to look at them."  We asked if the hotel was full (no) and then why we were place in that room if they knew there were problems with it (ummm, I don't know why).  We asked for the manager to call us to discuss the situation.  The manager was quite rude and stated we were only complaining to get a free hotel stay (we weren't, and told him that, but were annoyed we were placed in a room they had complaints about).  We finally called corporate, due to his attitude.  We've stopped at many Hilton hotels but will never stay at that one.

Coley

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2014, 04:52:05 PM »
Years ago, my then-H and I stayed in a Motel 6 in Greenville, Texas, just east of Dallas. We had to get off the road during an ice storm. Our plan had been to get to Texarkana for the night, but we couldn't drive in the storm anymore. We pulled into the lot to try a bigger chain hotel, but they were already booked up for the night. The desk clerk pointed us in the direction of the Motel 6 that was next door and said we could "Try them." We went to the desk at the Motel 6. The guy asked if we wanted to see the room before we checked in. That should have been a clue; however, we had no other options. We took the room and, when we walked in, we were horrified. I slept in my clothes because the bedding was filthy. I went to get a towel to cover the disgusting pillow and found we had two stained, see-through hand towels and two equally sheer washcloths. I put my coat over the pillow. We couldn't use the chairs because they were stained. The tables were sticky. To top it off, we were stuck in that room later into the morning because of the ice storm. I needed a shower after using the towels in that place.

When DS was a baby, I flew alone with him to Kansas for a funeral where I met my parents and brother. My parents were going to drive my brother, DS, and me back to Kansas City so we could fly out the next day. My dad got too tired to drive any more, so we stopped in Salina, Kansas, for the night. There was a softball tournament going on, and we couldn't find any motel rooms. Every hotel or motel suggested another to try, and we found ourselves eventually at what had to be the king of all seedy motels. It wasn't a chain. It was some local place. My dad wanted to take it. I wasn't comfortable with the place, but my dad kept pushing it, so I agreed. My mom and I slept in one room with DS while my dad and brother took another room. For reasons I don't recall, we had my dad's camera bag in the room with us. The first thing I did when we got in the room was push a table and chair in front of the door. My dad's camera bag was on the table. I put in my earplugs (my mother snores like a buzz saw). In the morning when we woke up, the table had been pushed away from the door about a foot, and my dad's camera bag was on the floor. It was obvious someone had tried to enter the room. We asked my brother and dad, and it wasn't them. I couldn't get DS out of there fast enough.

A few years ago, we went to Chicago to visit two of DH's sons. One of them recommended a particular Marriott. We arrived very late at night (well after midnight) to discover that a conference of Ugandans was in full swing. We could hardly get to the desk to check in because the lobby was so crowded. We got checked in and dragged ourselves to the elevator, where we had to wait for the Ugandans to clear out. We got upstairs to our room, and DH opened the door ... Imagine our surprise when we opened the door and found a shadowy figure who immediately shouted, "You can have the room!!!" He told us that he was the son of a housekeeper and had used her key to sneak in and use a room for the night. He wanted us to take the room. We said no, we didn't want a room that he'd been using. So, we hauled ourselves and all our stuff back to the lobby where we had to wade through the Ugandans again. We got back in line, got to the desk, told the desk clerk what happened, and were given keys to a new room. We received no apologies for the problem or any compensation for the trouble. The clerk did not appear disturbed by our experience with the first room. We dragged ourselves back upstairs to the new room and were pleased to discover that no one was sleeping in our beds.

Shalamar

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2014, 05:01:44 PM »
My parents are wonderful people but oh, so cheap.  They will gladly drive an extra ten miles to save a few bucks on a motel room, even if that motel would make Norman Bates shudder.  My mum often laughs and says "We have an unerring knack for finding the worst place to stay, no matter what city or town."  Well, that's true, but if you constantly dismiss fairly reliable chains like the Holiday Inn in favour of The Scary Clown Motel (free vibrating beds!), that'll probably  happen quite a bit.   My parents would always say "Who cares?  We're only sleeping there for the night.  It's not like we're planning to move in."

It took me years before I realized that the motel/hotel part of a vacation was supposed to be relaxing and fun.

Lynnv

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2014, 05:12:13 PM »
So many stories.

I have mentioned here before that I travel for work.  I am pretty much on the road on weekdays and my company flies me home for weekends.

I have diamond status with the Hilton properties and whatever the equivalent is for Intercontinental Hotel Group (IHG) properties, and have maintained those statuses for several years in both programs.  I generally like the hotels in both families, with a few exceptions.

DH and I took a vacation last year over the 4th of July and stayed in Durango Colorado at a pretty new Holiday Inn.  It was a nice enough hotel and they upgraded us to a suite (status does pay).  We had called ahead to make sure they had a shuttle as we wanted to visit a couple of brewpubs downtown while we were there, and we don't ride the motorcycles after even 1 beer.  Plus the only shoes we had were motorcycle boots, which stink for walking.

We arrived and asked about the shuttle and were told it was not available.  The first day, the front desk gal told us it was broken down and had been for weeks.  After we hiked up to the brewpub and back down we saw that it had actually moved from one space to another-which told us it was running. 

The next day we asked again, as we wanted a ride up the hill to a different brewpub after a long hot day.  We planned to make our way back down, stopping to watch the fireworks on the way.  That front desk person said they didn't have a shuttle-even though it was right out front.

I was willing to accept that the first person somehow didn't know about the shuttle being fixed.  But having two different people tell us two different lies rather than take the trouble to find someone to drive us a couple of miles so we didn't have to hike was very unacceptable.

I complained to the GM, who refunded our points for our stay and apologized.  But, honestly, I would never stay there again in a million years.  The rest of my hotel horror stories usually involve little hotels in one-horse towns where there were no good options. 
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2014, 08:31:05 PM »
This wasn't really about a hotel stay, just a hotel fail..

For our wedding reception, DH and I chose a restaurant very near to where the ceremony was happening (we all walked between them) that was managed by the Novotel, a major chain hotel that I've had good experiences with in the past. We were planning on staying there the night before the wedding as well as some of the bridal party and using the rooms to get ready. Our room was arranged to be away from bridal party for the boys and my Mums, sisters and MOH were to be close to each other so I and the BMs could get ready. That's four rooms, one with late check out, one with check out at 11 and two that were going to stay an additional night.

We had a bit of drama with the staff in the planning. First they replaced the events manager which we didn't mind as it was still some way out to the wedding and we hadn't had the Big Meeting with everything we wanted to say. The second event manager was much more realistic than the first, told us the truth about the space we had booked and the few options we had in terms of seating, which ended up being one long banquet table that sat everyone except me and DH who were at a table for two.

We got the event scheduled down, when we wanted food brought out, when we wanted to have our speeches, the music, the PA system, that we wanted the cake displayed before being cut and served as well as the wristbands for drinks for our guests so they could go to the bar and have beer, wine and soft drinks. We also had some friends from the 501st who were going to escort us in costume between ceremony and reception. We asked for an empty conference room for them to change in and store their gear as well as a drink on us at the bar.

Two weeks before the wedding we got an email from the hotel food and beverage manager saying he was taking over management of our event. No explanation of where the event manager had gone. DH spoke to him, he seemed professional and we had the event plan anyway so we had nothing to worry about really...

Well, it started inauspiciously when DH and I checked in and we had my sisters and the MOH compare room numbers. They were in completely different parts of the hotel. This wouldn't have ben annoying if we hadn't specifically asked for the rooms to be together. MoH had only just arrived and hadn't unpacked so we got her room moved (a nicer and bigger room too), including the staff to move her luggage for her (which she initially protested a little, but she's just nice that way).

Our room was nice, rather big with a bath. Breakfast was average when it was brought up (DH eventually went on a Maccas run) but MOHs breakfast took ages after the time to arrive when I got to her room, and it was only toast. I had to convince her to get on the phone to get them bring it up for her.

While we were getting ready the 501st arrived and the front desk, whom we were told would expect them, had no idea who they were or even who we were and we were getting married that day. One if the guys pointed out the sign advertising our wedding (with DH's name spelled wrong!) and they were directed to the health club when they asked about the promised change and storage room. They ended up getting changed in the corridor of the hotel. We had no idea about this until afterwards, but it made "the list" of things we emailed about after.

At the restaurant, we did a little of our own decorating but the best man (a woman) rearranged our couples table while we were having photos taken after the ceremony as the chairs were at opposite ends of a 1.5m table when they were supposed to be next to each other.

Our entrance music to the reception was stuffed up as the staff couldn't work out how to work the stereo until one of the groomsmen suggested turning it on. The food and beverage manager, who was supposed to be running the event, left five minutes into the reception and left one of the waitresses in charge, which we didn't find out until well into the event that she was left in charge. We later found out he had a family emergency, but in those five minutes he talked to us he could have explained all of that and who was left in charge.

Our timings were ignored, they seemed to be waiting for us to okay food being sent out and didn't know about the gap we wanted between entrees and mains for speeches, so we postponed speeches until after mains. The PA system, which we'd paid money for, didn't work properly as every room in the restaurant was hearing the speeches except the one we were in.

The cake sat on the table for about half an hour after we cut it for photos until I asked one of the waitstaff when they were going to cut and serve it. She looked at me surprised and said she expected us to do that. Cut and serve a wedding cake ourselves for fifty people? There was a lot of cake left, or so I was told, so on the following Monday (wedding was on the Saturday) I went back and asked for the rest and was told it had been thrown out in case it spoiled. Firstly, it was a rich chocolate cake from an Italian style bakery (not what we ordered but that's a whole 'nother story), there was no way it was going to spoil in two days. And even if it had, they could have called us and told us that it was taking up space in their fridge I would have told them that I was coming in to pick it up.

We wrote a VERY long email after we got back from out honeymoon with everything on it that had gone wrong from the beginning and we got a few answers. We got half our cake money back (and between them and the bakery we got a free cake) as well as the full price of the PA system back. I'm not against the chain, just that one and I had looked forward to maybe going back to the restaurant for our anniversary one year, but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth, even if it didn't ruin our wedding as I refused to let little things get us down.

knitwicca

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2014, 09:44:42 AM »
Red Roof Inn, Akron, Ohio.

The now-ex and I were driving from Orlando to upstate Pennsylvania for his high school reunion.  He bribed my accompanying him with a promise to stop in Canton at the Football Hall of Fame.
We got to Akron, stopped for dinner and started talking to a couple at the next table over.  They were staying at the Red Roof Inn and recommended it.
We were given a room that was on the first floor. The only window was so high in the wall that I could not stand on my toes (5'5" tall) and see out

1) the room smelled musty but it was only for one night so I thought I could live with it.
2) I took off my shoes in preparation to walk into the bathroom. The carpet was not only a dark color but sticky. Very sticky.
3) the lighting was dim to the point that I never did figure out what color the carpet was.
4) the sheets felt damp and clammy
5) at check-out I strongly suggested that the carpet be shampooed.  The desk clerk shrugged me off.

We left the next morning, drove to his home town (Brookville, PA) where there was a brand new Comfort Inn.  It was clean, light, fresh smelling.  The staff was welcoming and gave suggestions for local food services.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2014, 12:05:45 PM »
Worst customer service I have received at a hotel (although the hotel itself was reasonable):

I arrive in Tupelo about 8 pm. Had some trouble finding the hotel (this is before smartphones and GPS, so I was going by the address on the faxed confirmation sheet). Finally find it hiding in the middle of a mall parking lot, and go in to register.

The desk clerk looks at me, looks at my confirmation sheet, and looks at her log book, and tells me "Sorry, you're not booked here."

I show her the confirmation sheet. It has no impact on her.

"All right," I say, "but it's now 8:30 pm, so if you have a room, could I have it? I'm tired, and I haven't eaten all day."

"Nope," she says. "If I let you stay here, you'll be charged at the other hotel in our chain, where your reservation actually is." I suppose she means the one that sends out confirmation faxes with her hotel information on them.

Begging and pleading doesn't work. Explaining that at this point, I would not complain about being double-billed doesn't work. She apparently expects me to go driving around Mississippi checking out all hotels that *might* have my reservation.

Fortunately, before I explode in tiny shards on the floor, the woman's boss shows up. She tells him how I'm an annoying customer who's trying to check in without a reservation.

"Let me see the book," he says. Fifteen seconds later, he announces, "Oh, there's her reservation right there."

The woman was still reluctant to check me in, and gave her boss considerable sighing and eye-rolling while she did it.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2014, 04:11:20 PM »
^Oh my goodness!

I was night auditor at two different hotels, and for over a decade.

We would frequently have people booked at the La Quinta near the interstate instead of the one I worked at 6 blocks away. I would get them the information for the other location, call a taxi, whatever I needed to do to get them to their hotel.

However, during Hurricane Frances, I couldn't relocate the guest that had been dropped off, since taxis were no longer running and we had a hurricane coming in. I put him in a clean room, and had the other location run his bill, since we were both corporate hotels. Our security officer couldn't get to work because public transportation had been suspended due to the storm.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2014, 04:34:45 PM »
A small hotel in Ocean City, MD.  The brochure looked lovely and it had beach access.  When we get there it looks rather shabby and old, but the room was clean.  The only chair in the room was bolted to the floor...inside the closet.

We had returned to the room to change after the beach when housekeeping showed up.  DH explained that we were going to be going out in about half an hour so could they come back.  Cleaning lady agrees.  They never showed up again.

Our trash cans were overflowing (and I had a monthly visitor so this made it doubly problematic), we had no clean towels, the floor was covered with sand we tracked in from the beach and no calls to the front desk produced any results.

Every other hotel was booked solid so we were stuck.  The front desk insisted we had told the housekeeper we didn't want housekeeping.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2014, 04:55:49 PM »
The Hampton Inn in Washington, PA.

But not the Hampton Inn in Washington PA.  We reserved our room, no problems there.  I woke up in the middle of the night to the bathroom lights on.  Odd, because they were off when we went to sleep.  I turned them off and fell asleep again.  I woke up a few more times (I'm a light sleeper and was nursing my DD).  Each time the bathroom lights were on.  I'm getting a bit concerned, wondering if someone had come into the room, even with the locks locked.

So weird -- I thought Motel 6, not Hampton left the lights on.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Eeep!

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2014, 06:14:34 PM »
A small hotel in Ocean City, MD.  The brochure looked lovely and it had beach access.  When we get there it looks rather shabby and old, but the room was clean.  The only chair in the room was bolted to the floor...inside the closet.

We had returned to the room to change after the beach when housekeeping showed up.  DH explained that we were going to be going out in about half an hour so could they come back.  Cleaning lady agrees.  They never showed up again.

Our trash cans were overflowing (and I had a monthly visitor so this made it doubly problematic), we had no clean towels, the floor was covered with sand we tracked in from the beach and no calls to the front desk produced any results.

Every other hotel was booked solid so we were stuck.  The front desk insisted we had told the housekeeper we didn't want housekeeping.

This is just so bizarre. You have to wonder about the thought process behind that.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss