Author Topic: s/o Never Shopping - I'm never STAYING there again!!  (Read 16741 times)

Octavia

Re: s/o Never Shopping - I'm never STAYING there again!!
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2014, 07:34:59 PM »
The Extended Stay America - Naperville East, Illinois. I stayed there several times for work over the past couple of years. The hotel had been completely refurbished and was once clean and comfortable. I stayed there last week and noticed that things were not well. Everything seemed to be shabby with signs of deferred maintenance. My first room had a damp bathroom from the shower & bath tub regularly overflowing onto the floor. I spent less than 10 minutes in my second room. It reeked of mildew, and the carpet was soaking wet. They promptly upgraded me to a larger room with more amenities...except that the air conditioner sounded like a jet engine, the refrigerator was even louder, the internet and satellite TV service were unreliable, and there was absolutely no food set out for the complimentary breakfast for two of five days. It's a shame because it was once a decent hotel.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

Library Dragon

« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2014, 09:43:30 PM »
The bathroom lights reminded me of a motel in Tennessee near the Virginia boarder.  We discovered the bathroom light was out. We were handed a bulb to change it ourselves.  We demanded our money back and went on to a chain across the street.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Gyburc

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2014, 06:07:21 AM »
A pub/hotel in Sheffield, UK. I went there for a weekend conference a few years ago, and found this place online - it was very near the conference site and also really cheap...

The downstairs was a fairly grotty pub, advertising live music, and then there were stairs up to the rooms. It was a very tall old building and my room was on the third or fourth floor up. Each floor was shut off by a locked door from the stairwell, and the electronic room key also unlocked the door to the floor.

The room was actually reasonably comfortable, but somehow the atmosphere of the place creeped me out. I found myself eyeing the chair and wondering if it would be a good idea to wedge it against the door during the night, or whether this would leave me trapped in the room if there was a fire.

I checked with the staff about getting breakfast in the morning at 8 so I would have time to eat before going to the first conference session at 9. No problem, they said, so I went out for a meal, and when I came back the music had started. It went on until 2.30 or 3 am, and it was loud enough to be clearly audible in my room (3rd or 4th floor up). Eventually, I got some sleep.

In the morning, I headed downstairs just before 8 for breakfast. As I went down the stairs, I began to smell a very distinctive smell... (Gross alert!) Someone had clearly been desperate for the toilet and had tried going upstairs to avoid the queue. Since all the doors leading onto the stairway were locked, they had squatted on the stair and gone to the toilet right there. Both kinds. (end of gross alert).  :o

I made my way round the mess and went down to the ground floor. No-one was there and there were no signs of any breakfast arrangements. I thought I really ought to let someone know about the stairs, so I hung around until 8.50, when a staff member finally arrived. I told him about the mess on the stairs, and he seemed to think it was perfectly normal.  :o I decided not to make any mention of breakfast, and just grabbed an energy bar on the way to the conference site.

By a coincidence, two other conference attendees were staying at the same place, and in the end we bonded over how awful it was, so there were some positives, but I learned my lesson - if it's too good or too cheap to be true, don't stay there!

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

oogyda

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2014, 02:13:35 PM »
A Ramada Inn that's riverside in downtown Chicago.  A couple of friends and I planned a weekend to see a play and have some fun in "the big city".  We had ridden the train in from the suburbs.

I had reserved a room with 2 queen size beds.  We got a room with 1 king size bed.  They "fixed" that by bringing in a roll-away. 

The concierge "forgot" our request for a car to take us to the theater.  We did manage to get a taxi. 

Upon rising, stepped down only to slosh across the floor.  Called the front desk.  They sent maintenance up to check and a pipe had burst in the empty room next door (one with 2 queen beds).  We had to delay our showers while they shut off the water until they could isolate the pipes for that room.  More calls to the front desk for help with my flooded suitcase that had been on the floor and soaked clothing.  Another call to the front desk to inquire about changing rooms.  They said that wasn't possible and we decided not to spend another night. 

When I went to check out, my bill was what was quoted to me at the time of booking!
ME.  I'm surprised you're charging me at all!  I expected a huge discount.
FD (front desk).  Oh, was there a problem with the room?
ME.  I made at least 3 calls to the desk this morning.  Isn't there some sort of record of those calls? 
FD (after checking the computer) Oh, my.  You've had quite the morning.  I will take 50% off this bill for you. 
ME.  I'd like to speak to your manager.  I don't think I should have to pay anything AND I think you should be offering to compensate me for the ruined luggage, possible ruined clothing and any cleaning that may be required. 

She disappeared for a few minutes and came back to tell me my stay is on the house and handed me some vouchers for future stays.  Never used the vouchers. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2014, 03:28:52 PM »
Not any one hotel, but last fall my mom and I drove from VA to Wi, and back again. MOm is in a wheelchair, and cannot stand or walk. So we need accessible rooms, but we quickly learned that if one says they are ADA compliant on paper, it doens't necessarily translate into actually being so!

We managed, but not without assistance from me getting her on and off the toilet, and in and out of the shower. Mom has also provided feedback to many, where some of the accessible features simply made no sense. Like the one where the shower bench was at the far end of the tub, and the hand held shower at the front. So if you are seated on the bench, but can't stand, there is no possible way to reach the shower head and hose to use it!

Her feedback has been well received, and we've learned a few things along the way for future reference!
 And to improvise

lilfox

« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2014, 04:06:32 PM »
The bathroom lights reminded me of a motel in Tennessee near the Virginia boarder.  We discovered the bathroom light was out. We were handed a bulb to change it ourselves.  We demanded our money back and went on to a chain across the street.

And that reminds me of the no-tell motel that we unwittingly reserved a room at via their 800 number.  When we arrived, the clerk was behind bulletproof glass like a bank teller, and there were two bowls set out in the "lobby" - one with lightbulbs and one with condoms, I believe each item was $1.  The lightbulbs were for the rooms, which were not otherwise equipped.  We declined to stay and found a room at a reputable chain up the street.

The Holiday Inn outside Eatontown, NJ.  Short version: they couldn't do anything about the loud party in the next room (two security visits had no effect and it wasn't raucous enough to get them booted or get police involved) but refused to relocate me to another room until I threatened to leave, then put me in the room across the hall.  I left the original room sometime after midnight.  At 7 am, I realized I had left some things behind and wanted to get back in the original room.  Housekeeping refused to go in because there were people sleeping in my (former) bed!  The front desk clerk told me I had to wake them up myself.  And I am 100% sure the linens were not changed before they checked in because one of the left items was my personal pillow (with a very distinctive pillowcase), which these new people were sleeping on.  Hopefully the hotel made their "never again" list too.   >:(

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2014, 10:33:42 AM »
The first time we stayed in this "resort" (rental trailers and cabins) outside of a state park, it was rundown, but clean and in decent enough shape.  The following year, *so* many things were broken or in poor shape, including the pool. We learned later that there had been a meth lab on the property and as a result, there had been a recent ownership change.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2014, 02:23:29 PM »
I will never stay at the Water Street Inn in Stillwater, MN again.  It looked awesome online, views out onto the St. Croix River, an Irish pub inside, a patio where they had live music, etc etc.  Rooms are fairly expensive, but DH and I thought it would be worthwhile to stay for the weekend.  It was awful.  It smelled funny as soon as we walked in - musty and disused.  The front desk staff informed us as we checked in that there was a wedding being held there, and so the dining room was closed off for the reception.  We could eat at the pub until about 6 pm or so.  Also due to the wedding, our room has been moved to a "street view" so the wedding party can have all the rooms facing the river.  Fine, whatever. 

Get up to our room.  It smells chemical-ly and we can't open the windows to let any air in.  The chairs and sofa in our suite are so hard we can't sit on any of them for more than 10 minutes before it's painful.  The bathroom is miniscule and the ceiling slopes so steeply DH can't even stand up straight in the shower.  We're thinking this is not the best place ever, but we'll live.  Downtown Stillwater is great, we can go stroll along the river, plenty of ways to have fun.  After we get back to the hotel from wandering around, we discover the wedding and reception have basically taken over the entire downstairs and we escape upstairs to our room.

After we go to bed, we realize there's some kind of motorcycle rally going on that weekend, because motorcycles were revving up and down the streets until 3 am.  Then we notice if you move wrong the bed makes weird almost gunshot noises.  So we just lay in bed, not moving, not sleeping, until about 3:30 or 4. 

We checked out and headed home the next day - I'd never been so glad to leave a place!  I posted a review of it on TripAdvisor and was contacted by someone who claimed to be the owner of another hotel.  He berated me for giving Stillwater a bad name, saying that it would decrease tourist traffic and cause issues for all other hotel owners in the area.  I shouldn't have posted anything, according to him, because none of this is the hotel's fault!  He ended by urging me to come stay at his hotel and he would "personally" make up for my bad experience.  That sealed it for me - Stillwater is a great place to visit for the day, but not to stay at night!

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2014, 03:30:30 PM »
The Willies Inn Motel in Sarnia Ontario Canada, here's my Trip Advisor review on it, complete with pictures!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g155011-d2210340-r118465852-Willies_Inn_Motel-Sarnia_Ontario.html

Margo

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2014, 04:30:13 PM »
I will never stay at the Water Street Inn in Stillwater, MN again.  It looked awesome online, views out onto the St. Croix River, an Irish pub inside, a patio where they had live music, etc etc.  Rooms are fairly expensive, but DH and I thought it would be worthwhile to stay for the weekend.  It was awful.  It smelled funny as soon as we walked in - musty and disused.  The front desk staff informed us as we checked in that there was a wedding being held there, and so the dining room was closed off for the reception.  We could eat at the pub until about 6 pm or so.  Also due to the wedding, our room has been moved to a "street view" so the wedding party can have all the rooms facing the river.  Fine, whatever. 

Get up to our room.  It smells chemical-ly and we can't open the windows to let any air in.  The chairs and sofa in our suite are so hard we can't sit on any of them for more than 10 minutes before it's painful.  The bathroom is miniscule and the ceiling slopes so steeply DH can't even stand up straight in the shower.  We're thinking this is not the best place ever, but we'll live.  Downtown Stillwater is great, we can go stroll along the river, plenty of ways to have fun.  After we get back to the hotel from wandering around, we discover the wedding and reception have basically taken over the entire downstairs and we escape upstairs to our room.

After we go to bed, we realize there's some kind of motorcycle rally going on that weekend, because motorcycles were revving up and down the streets until 3 am.  Then we notice if you move wrong the bed makes weird almost gunshot noises.  So we just lay in bed, not moving, not sleeping, until about 3:30 or 4. 

We checked out and headed home the next day - I'd never been so glad to leave a place!  I posted a review of it on TripAdvisor and was contacted by someone who claimed to be the owner of another hotel.  He berated me for giving Stillwater a bad name, saying that it would decrease tourist traffic and cause issues for all other hotel owners in the area.  I shouldn't have posted anything, according to him, because none of this is the hotel's fault!  He ended by urging me to come stay at his hotel and he would "personally" make up for my bad experience.  That sealed it for me - Stillwater is a great place to visit for the day, but not to stay at night!

I stayed at that hotel once, too - it seemed to me that it had once been very good and had been neglected - my room had broken blinds (which meant the bath in the room was not usable, unless you were an exhibitionist), they forgot the rollaway bed we'd booked and looked utterly stunned when, when they brought it in, we expected them to make it!

The shower was fun, too - incredibly dark, and nowhere in the bathroom to hang or set anything.

That said, the live music is great, if you manage to catch Paul & Lorraine, and the brunch on weekends is pretty good, too, and most of the staff were nice.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2014, 06:01:36 AM »
It's the first night of a prepaid weeks stay, 2:43 am and the alarm goes off at 6:30 am so we can get in a full day's work.

Everything in this room causes me discomfort.  The chairs cut off circulation in my legs because they are designed for people taller than me.  The desk is so high to the non-adjustable chair that this laptop is 4 inches below my chin.  The tiny little refrigerator thing makes noise for 10 minutes, doesn't make noise for 3 minutes, then makes noise for 10 minutes again.  The room heater, which doesn't seem to be adjustable, but luckily is set to a reasonable temperature, runs for 3 minutes then turns off for 10 minutes.  Yes, just as one turns off, the other one starts. 

We'll see if I adjust to the room by the end of the stay.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2014, 06:20:34 AM »
It's the first night of a prepaid weeks stay, 2:43 am and the alarm goes off at 6:30 am so we can get in a full day's work.

Everything in this room causes me discomfort.  The chairs cut off circulation in my legs because they are designed for people taller than me.  The desk is so high to the non-adjustable chair that this laptop is 4 inches below my chin.  The tiny little refrigerator thing makes noise for 10 minutes, doesn't make noise for 3 minutes, then makes noise for 10 minutes again.  The room heater, which doesn't seem to be adjustable, but luckily is set to a reasonable temperature, runs for 3 minutes then turns off for 10 minutes.  Yes, just as one turns off, the other one starts. 

Call the front desk. This is why they have maintenance staff.

Jocelyn

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2014, 09:30:04 AM »

Call the front desk. This is why they have maintenance staff.
Not every hotel has maintainance on duty at 2:43 am. Or after 4:30 pm for that matter.

songbird

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2014, 10:39:58 AM »
My TripAdvisor review for a recent stay in Niagara Falls. 

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g48261-d240048-r71709438-Budget_Host_Inn-Niagara_Falls_New_York.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

Should have read TripAdvisor before we booked.

songbird

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2014, 11:00:09 AM »
I have three others to add.

1.  The Holiday Inn Express in Boston, the one located near the Boston Garden.  Stayed there in 2010.  Nothing wrong with the hotel, my real issues are with the off-site parking (very inconveniently located) and with the neighborhood itself, my then-teenaged daughter did not feel comfortable.  For the same money I could have stayed at a Doubletree with valet parking.

2. It was the 1990's, and I was traveling with my two very young daughters and two of my sisters.  We booked a one night stay in....I think it was a Comfort Inn in eastern Pennsylvania.  Specifically asked for a non smoking room.  Also needed a rollaway bed.  Arrived late at night .  The room reeked of smoke.  After considerable argument with the desk clerk, we were able to get a nonsmoking room, but we had to move the rollaway ourselves.

3.  Another trip, same group of travelers, this time a Comfort Inn (I think) near Scranton.  First room reeked of smoke.  Second room they gave us was already occupied -- the gentleman's clothes were hanging in the closet.    We wound up in a room on the floor that was being renovated -- there were piles of new sinks and toilets in the hallway.  Our room had new fixtures and was clean and comfortable, but the door didn't lock properly.  I did not sleep well that night.